BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Gearbox and pressure plate Empty Gearbox and pressure plate Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:56 am

gabriel

Platinum member
Platinum member
Hi guys.
I am trying to repair my gearbox. I assume it's a loose grub screw. My question, Do I have to remove any of the internal components to access the grub screw?
I am also trying to obtain a clutch pressure plate (the plate with the three pins)
Do I have to replace all of the clutch components or is it acceptable to replace only the pressure plate?
Your assistance is appreciated.

2Back to top Go down   Gearbox and pressure plate Empty Re: Gearbox and pressure plate Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:13 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
grub screw ? do you have problems with the selector arm (shifting gears ) gabriel ?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   Gearbox and pressure plate Empty Re: Gearbox and pressure plate Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:20 pm

gabriel

Platinum member
Platinum member
The foot lever is loose. I am certain it could be pulled out of the gearbox if I tried.
I was riding my bike when I noticed excessive free play in the foot lever. I was forced to lift my left leg to obtain enough movement in the lever to change into gear.
Eventually the lever gave way completely.
I noticed in the schematic diagram of the gearbox ..exploded view..there is a grub screw which holds the lever in place.
I noticed there is a copy of the repair manual in the downloads section...perhaps it will give me a clue about my situation.
Thanks for the prompt reply.
All suggestions are appreciated.

4Back to top Go down   Gearbox and pressure plate Empty Re: Gearbox and pressure plate Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:29 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Search for Shoganai`s tranny thread in this forum, it`s with a lot of pictures........
which may help.

She did have the opposite problem, the grub screw was stuck.

5Back to top Go down   Gearbox and pressure plate Empty Re: Gearbox and pressure plate Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:12 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yes verry good suggestion inge ...

your on the right path gabriel ....cheers

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

6Back to top Go down   Gearbox and pressure plate Empty Re: Gearbox and pressure plate Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:34 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
With regard to the pressure plate the biggest problem I have found is the plates warp and the surface gets a bit conical and only grabs on the outside perimeter of the plate. Put a straight edge across the face of both plates and check, if they are flat and the surface smooth to feel then all should be ok.
I have repaired one but to be honest wasn't worth the time involved, I had to make tools to hold it to a lathe faceplate etc.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

7Back to top Go down   Gearbox and pressure plate Empty Re: Gearbox and pressure plate Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:27 pm

scout18

scout18
I have the same trouble with my grub screw. Do you have the transmission off yet?

8Back to top Go down   Gearbox and pressure plate Empty Re: Gearbox and pressure plate Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:53 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP

9Back to top Go down   Gearbox and pressure plate Empty Re: Gearbox and pressure plate Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:35 am

gabriel

Platinum member
Platinum member
Thank you for your input.
Hi scout18, I have removed the gearbox but I am in no hurry to look inside until I am completely comfortable with the situation.
I read the official workshop manual. Confused me even more!!

10Back to top Go down   Gearbox and pressure plate Empty Re: Gearbox and pressure plate Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:08 am

scout18

scout18
I have mine out as well. How do folks heat the cover to 100C to take it off. I have a heat gun and a propane torch.

11Back to top Go down   Gearbox and pressure plate Empty Re: Gearbox and pressure plate Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:50 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Best to use a heat gun but I just usually carefully lever it of using a big screwdriver and a lot of care not to damage the sealing surface.
I dont know anybody who actually heats it, BMW get a bit fussy for their own good sometimes.
Just be careful not to get the shims mixed up

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

12Back to top Go down   Gearbox and pressure plate Empty Re: Gearbox and pressure plate Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:32 am

gabriel

Platinum member
Platinum member
Hi scout18

Previous forums suggest a heat gun is not necessary. It was noted in the official workshop manual The gearbox cover can be pushed off by using a screwdriver at three selected points located at approx 12, 5 and 9 o'clock position.
Be careful the shims might fall out as you remove the cover.
I suggest try not to remove the shafts and selector forks. Apparently they are a pain to reinstall.
Anyway, that's my opinion...I might be wrong.
Good luck.

P.s. make sure your workspace is clean. You want to avoid getting dirt near the bearings...

13Back to top Go down   Gearbox and pressure plate Empty Re: Gearbox and pressure plate Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:47 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
One thing to watch foris the shafts the selector forks slide on they often want to come away with the top as you lift it of. Try to get something like a dowel in there as soon as possible to prevent this. If they do come out make sure you know which way the selector forks go and make sure you find the 3 small rollers that go on the selector forks as they tend to fall into the box.

14Back to top Go down   Gearbox and pressure plate Empty Re: Gearbox and pressure plate Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:18 pm

scout18

scout18
Thanks for the tips. I have made my repair and the trans mission is going back in today. the screw in question was indeed loose and i got it cleaned up and loctited in place. I found that the best way for me to get it in and out was a ball end 5mm Allen wrench.

15Back to top Go down   Gearbox and pressure plate Empty Re: Gearbox and pressure plate Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:30 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yay !!!

16Back to top Go down   Gearbox and pressure plate Empty Re: Gearbox and pressure plate Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:32 am

gabriel

Platinum member
Platinum member
Hi scout18

That's good news.
Are you able to give me some detailed information about your situation.
For example, how did you gain access to the screw? Did you remove any of the internal components?
Any information you can give me would be very much appreciated.
Congratulations on getting that gearbox fixed.... :

17Back to top Go down   Gearbox and pressure plate Empty Re: Gearbox and pressure plate Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:18 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hi gabriel ...did you check out shoganis thread ...

have a look here

http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,1808.0.html

18Back to top Go down   Gearbox and pressure plate Empty Re: Gearbox and pressure plate Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:45 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
Have a look in the How to... I posted a Gearbox rebuild how to in there... from the photo's you will be able to see where the Grub screw is and how to fit the cover back on...

You will be able to reach the grub screw either with a long allen key or similar

Gearbox and pressure plate 169042Gearbox and pressure plate 169034

19Back to top Go down   Gearbox and pressure plate Empty Re: Gearbox and pressure plate Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:51 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
great how to twincarb ....cheers !!

20Back to top Go down   Gearbox and pressure plate Empty Re: Gearbox and pressure plate Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:02 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
Shoganis shows really well how to strip the box down... all be that she cheated cause parts just fell out! I do like her first pic... even though the K is disabled with the rear wheel removed to stop the beast from escaping she still teathers it around the front wheel and the post!

Gearbox and pressure plate 169042Gearbox and pressure plate 169034

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum