BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Intro - new member` Empty Intro - new member` Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:41 pm

paul.dickson_VA

paul.dickson_VA
Hello Everyone,

I am retired from the U.S. Navy and have spent the last couple years riding and playing with my 2002 K1200LT - great machine. I thought I would find a nice hobby bike to rebuild over the next few months - found a 1985 K100RT. Looks a little rough - seems like it was left outside for some time - it has a few leaks - I am getting ready to tackle the job of pulling the engine and working to replace the leaking seals.

I am pretty mechanically sound - just not much background on the K100 - sounds like a fun project. More importantly, I look forward to learning from some of you that have been around the block on this model. If I can do this rebuild without upsetting my wife (excessive cost) that will make it a successful project. Thanks again for the teaming today and in the future.

Best regards. Paul

2Back to top Go down   Intro - new member` Empty Re: Intro - new member` Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:26 pm

dee why

dee why
Gold member
Gold member
Welcome to the forum Paul and good luck with your restoration project.
Cheers,
Dee Why

04/86 K100 VIN 0009479 Columbia Silver

3Back to top Go down   Intro - new member` Empty Re: Intro - new member` Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:38 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
sounds like a fun project paul .....

welcome to the forum....theres lots of head scratcher problems ...but nothing we may have not seen before ....help is only as far as the forum away ....

have fun !!!

Last edited by charlie99 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

4Back to top Go down   Intro - new member` Empty Re: Intro - new member` Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:18 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Paul,
Great to have an ex-serviceman with us who has retired from serving their country. Looking forward to reading how you go with your project.
Regards,
K-BIKE

5Back to top Go down   Intro - new member` Empty Intro - new member Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:00 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Paul and good luck. This crazy mob should get you sorted out no matter what.
Have fun mate
RT

6Back to top Go down   Intro - new member` Empty Re: Intro - new member` Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:08 am

CanberraDave

CanberraDave
Gold member
Gold member
Welcome Paul and best of luck with the rebuild. These things are pretty sound and you should get away with keeping the wife happy!!!!Very Happy There is not much the gurus here can't help you with.

VIN # 0097704

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

7Back to top Go down   Intro - new member` Empty Re: Intro - new member` Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:42 am

kfilipow

kfilipow
Silver member
Silver member
Welcome Paul,

Two helpful sites for parts in US are BeemerBoneYard.com and AScycles.com. One important piece of information is to determine what month your '85 was built. I found out that a model change occured and parts are specific in some instances. I think Inge and Charlie 99 are the best techs on these things, (everyone is very helpful Very Happy , no hard feelings) so I recommend to always read any of their posts.

kfilipow

8Back to top Go down   Intro - new member` Empty Thanks for the warm welcome to all Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:53 am

paul.dickson_VA

paul.dickson_VA
Thanks for the warm replies. Quite honestly, it is exciting for me to start a project bike that is completely new to me - the K100RT. I plan to pull the fairing, as I have been very impressed with some of the non-standard bikes I have seen without the fairing and front plastic.

As I have started to remove parts and drain fluids I have noticed that the bike was not cared for all that well - things that come to mind are damaged splines, loose rivets, etc. My initial couple days of reading previous well-written posts have given me much to think about and look for. While draining the engine and shaft oil I have been concerned with how black (engine) and black/green (shaft) appears to be. I am a bit anal with my K1200LT and would never let things get so bad - just have more to consider as I am tearing the bike apart.

One question that I could use some help with - because several areas are leaking I am planning to replace the standard seals that are either leaking, or can be expected to leak in the future. Besides the alternator, water/oil pump, and main shaft seal - are there any others that I would be smart to replace while taking the engine apart - even if today they may not be too bad?

Thanks again for the kind replies to all - I will share my story with pictures as I progress. All the best.

Paul

9Back to top Go down   Intro - new member` Empty Re: Intro - new member` Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:08 pm

krambo

krambo
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome aboard Wink

10Back to top Go down   Intro - new member` Empty Re: Intro - new member` Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:12 pm

nino

Life time member
Life time member
Hello Paul, while engine is apart check friction plate. After long sitting it could be tired and start to slip after few hundred kms (like mine last years). Change the seal on transmision side irs cheap and easy.

Regards

11Back to top Go down   Intro - new member` Empty Friction plate Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:43 pm

paul.dickson_VA

paul.dickson_VA
Nino - didn't think about that one - thanks - wrote it down and will check.

Thanks, Krambo

Paul

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum