BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Output shaft removal Empty Output shaft removal Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:49 pm

paul.dickson_VA

paul.dickson_VA
Hello All,

I am in the process of replacing the output shaft seal (frame removed from engine). Could not get the shaft to pull out, so used gear puller to give it a nudge - once I removed the O-ring and the shaft - I noticed that center of the threaded shaft (where the M20 nut and compressing ring is attached) was pushed in a bit while pulling off the shaft. I am thinking that i can pull the center back out - any thoughts about the best approach to do this? I am pulling all my pics together and preparing to post them under the rebuild link. Appreciate your thoughts about the shaft.

Paul

2Back to top Go down   Output shaft removal Empty Re: Output shaft removal Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:44 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Paul, the centre in that shaft is a bronze bush where the end of the clutch push rod rides in, so proper placing is quite important. Could you find a suitable expanding plug you can fit in and pull it out? One of these?
Output shaft removal 47519_keilbout_1

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Output shaft removal Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

3Back to top Go down   Output shaft removal Empty Re: Output shaft removal Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:56 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
If you intend to put a new bush in then you can use a thread tap to put a thread in it then screw in a bolt with a long thread (machine screw) and it will come out when the bolt bottoms against the plug.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   Output shaft removal Empty Re: Output shaft removal Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:48 pm

paul.dickson_VA

paul.dickson_VA
ReneZ - I have actually never used a collet such as the one you are discussing - its sounds like a good potential option. I see that Rick also noted that inserting a screw until it bottoms out is another option - I am going to try to back it out and see if it moves at all. Both good suggestions - later today I may know where I stand when trying to get it out.

Thanks to both of you.

Paul

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum