BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   The Lake District. Empty The Lake District. Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:21 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
As I mentioned in another thread, I was in the Lake District last weekend (North west England). We were assured that the camp site was 'firm' despite all the rain we had had recently, but as the weather forcast predicted heavy rain for Sunday, I chose to stay an extra day and return home on Monday.

Incidentally, I look at all the available weather forcasts before a trip and select the one that shows the best weather. Well, you have to be optimistic, don't you?

Friday's ride was enjoyable enough, even though I used a fair stretch of motorway, with just a few heavy showers and the bike recorded 50mpg for the 200 miles, much of it at 70-80 mph.

The site was, to say the least, a bit 'squidgy', but one could see where the highest points were quite easily.

Even in rain, this is a good place to be.

The Lake District. Sam_0216

On Saturday a group of us walked to Keswick, over fields and lanes, using the many public footpaths that abound in this area.

The Lake District. Sam_0217

My GPS device showed that I had walked 7.89 miles, but as I was wearing my Derry boots, not the ideal walking gear, my left heel was feeling sore. So what do I do? Well, like all good pensioners, I caught the bus back to Braithwaite using my bus pass. (Everyone over 60 in UK gets a free bus pass which can be used anywhere in the country) Laughing

Derwent water, Keswick.

The Lake District. Sam_0218

Returning from the pub at around 11PM, I heard the first drops of rain on my tent which led to a night of torrential rain and high winds. The Lake District. 178468

Fortunately I stayed dry in my tent and, with ear plugs.....and perhaps the effect of wine and beer drunken ......I slept soundly. Sunday morning and it was still chucking it down, but those who had to leave had the miserable task of packing away soaking tents and the prospect of a wet ride home.

About 2PM, 15 hours after it started, the rain eased with just showers until it finally dried up at about 4.

The Lake District. Sam_0219

On Saturday this was a crystal clear stream, Sunday it was transporting tons of silt downstream.

This campsite is very busy every weekend, with campers, walkers, climbers etc, but by Sunday evening they've all gone.....got to go to work on Monday I suppose? Twisted Evil

The Lake District. Sam_0220

Monday was drier, but a shower just as I was taking the tent down meant a wet tent to dry at home. I returned home the pretty route via Grasmere, Windermere and Kendal, with the intention of getting some more pictures for you, but having passed a few slow cars on the narrow lanes I didn't want to stop and have to re-pass them again, so, sorry no more pics.

As I left the Lakes the showers stopped.......not suprising I guess, the lakes have to come from somewhere.Rolling Eyes

Paul.

Last edited by sidecar paul on Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : east is east and west is west!)

2Back to top Go down   The Lake District. Empty Re: The Lake District. Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:56 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Nice pics once again Paul. Looking at the exodus from the campsite just one question comes to mind.......do you snore ? Razz

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

3Back to top Go down   The Lake District. Empty Re: The Lake District. Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:45 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Nice pictures, thanks for posting, Paul.

Did visit Lake District ten years ago, this brings back some memories.

4Back to top Go down   The Lake District. Empty Re: The Lake District. Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:48 pm

Great pics.
Beautiful countryside there I think.
Been to the UK a couple of times, but sadly never got to do any motorcycling there. Sad

5Back to top Go down   The Lake District. Empty Re: The Lake District. Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:53 pm

shack

shack
Great pictures, fond childhood memories, one thing though, has all the wind blown it from the NW to NE:P

6Back to top Go down   The Lake District. Empty Re: The Lake District. Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:57 pm

STEVE1959

Silver member
Silver member
Great photos Paul, keep them coming!

7Back to top Go down   The Lake District. Empty Re: The Lake District. Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:03 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
super pics paul ...thanks

always good to see what the rest of the world looks like from the picture taker .

cheers !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

8Back to top Go down   The Lake District. Empty Re: The Lake District. Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:32 pm

wngnutmv

wngnutmv
Silver member
Silver member
Enjoyed those pictures! Thanks for posting

"Gretchen II" (Gretchen von Gearshiften)

9Back to top Go down   The Lake District. Empty Re: The Lake District. Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:35 pm

I reckon you could do a "misty Mountain Hop" in that first photo. Very Happy

10Back to top Go down   The Lake District. Empty Re: The Lake District. Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:48 am

JGT

JGT
Platinum member
Platinum member
Great pictures Paul. Even in the wet the area has great charm. My ancestral home is Thornthwaite, the next village to Braithwaite, and have family records going back to the 1600's, Will be up there next week for a late break, taking my Mobylette moped and attempting Newlands Pass, behind Braithwaite, weather permitting. Did all the passes years ago on a 1951 DOT, going up no problem, coming down with those awful British Hub Company brakes, a different story. john

11Back to top Go down   The Lake District. Empty Re: The Lake District. Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:34 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for the comments, guys.

I don't know if I snore 88, I always wear earplugs when camping. Sleep

Thanks shack, I've edited my mistake, it is of course north 'west' England. Embarassed (well it shows that somebody actually read it all The Lake District. 112350 )

Paul.

12Back to top Go down   The Lake District. Empty Re: The Lake District. Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:59 pm

UK_Kev

UK_Kev
Nice pictures, never been to the lakes myself, one day if all goes well

1954 - Norton (Manx) Project - 1974 Z1b - 1983 R80ST - 1991 K100RS - 1993 Enfield Bullet

13Back to top Go down   The Lake District. Empty Re: The Lake District. Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:01 am

JGT

JGT
Platinum member
Platinum member
UK_Kev. Any pics. of your Manx project? John

14Back to top Go down   The Lake District. Empty Re: The Lake District. Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:46 pm

Lucky Lou

Lucky Lou
Thanks for the pictures, i have relatives in the area and visit regularly as a kid i used to spend the long summer holiday with my Aunt an Uncle in Cockermouth and spent most days walking and fishing in the Lakes.

If anyone is planning a trip up to the Lakes i can recommend this bike friendly place for an entertaining stop over on the way.
http://www.fort-san-antone.com/
The club has free entry on Sundays and reasonable camping or motel facilities its about 30 minutes from the M6 off the M55

Lou

15Back to top Go down   The Lake District. Empty Re: The Lake District. Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:09 pm

UK_Kev

UK_Kev
k100virgin wrote:UK_Kev. Any pics. of your Manx project? John

You are going to be dissapointed.....here is all the info... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739420

1954 - Norton (Manx) Project - 1974 Z1b - 1983 R80ST - 1991 K100RS - 1993 Enfield Bullet

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum