BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Cheap sidecar dolly Empty Cheap sidecar dolly Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:16 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
As winter is coming and the snow flakes will soon start to fly, I have to take my rig in my basement for a total maintenance and maybe a new paint job.
The first goal is to remove the sidecar. In order to do that, I had to build a dolly to rest the chair on it. Today, I visited few stores looking at material to build one and opted to something cheap and readily available... a 450 lb Mechanic's creeper. Cost was only $30 and it will do the job perfectly.
I screwed few pieces of 2x8 and cut a small groove where the sidecar frame will rest.
I was looking at the price of casters and steel to construct my own, but there is no way to beat the Chinese for cost of finish product.

Cheap sidecar dolly Dsc_2211

Now, before removing the sidecar, I am looking at installing a temporary side stand on the bike and plug the line going from the rear master cylinder to the sidecar brake. I also have to disconnect the auxiliary gas tank in the chair,....
It start to be cold and it will be a 'not fun' project.

When people see my bikes in my basement workshop, they are always amazed on how I drive them down. I have a 14' ramp and ride through a 30" door.

CF

2Back to top Go down   Cheap sidecar dolly Empty Re: Cheap sidecar dolly Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:37 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
I got exactly that creeper, keep an eye on those casters.
The svivel part would bend if you roll them over a dead fly on the floor.

(I have changed all six.......btw. your floor looks a bit better than mine).

3Back to top Go down   Cheap sidecar dolly Empty Re: Cheap sidecar dolly Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:44 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Thanks Inge

This is just to rest the chair during the winter and to be able to move it if needed.
Now, you've get me thinking.... I can just picture myself seating in the chair and reading the Clymer. Cheap sidecar dolly 78846
CF

4Back to top Go down   Cheap sidecar dolly Empty Re: Cheap sidecar dolly Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:25 am

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
mine is somewhat similar, steel frame and heavier castors, with blocks of wood. does the job for moving around.

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
Cheap sidecar dolly 10_x_110

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum