BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Looking at owning one... Empty Looking at owning one... Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:04 pm

Brad-Man

Brad-Man
Life time member
Life time member
Hi people:

I came here to find out more about these bikes because I am looking at one tonight w/intent to purchase.

I've had several Yamaha RD's, currently have a '74 that I bought and cleaned up and riding, and a '75 that is a duplicate of one I had new in '75 that I am doing a ground up on w/a modified 400 engine.

Had a few Honda's, but can't see myself on any of the Japanese/British bikes for trips.

Want to get a good trip/around town bike to take my lady on and I have decided that the K suits me to a T.
Hopefully it will be as good as it seems in pics.

2Back to top Go down   Looking at owning one... Empty Re: Looking at owning one... Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:36 pm

Life time member
Life time member
It will suit you Sir. Welcome along Brad Mad good look with finding the right machine.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

3Back to top Go down   Looking at owning one... Empty Re: Looking at owning one... Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:46 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Welcome Brad-Man. You might just have stumbled upon one of the best places in the known galaxy to gather info about the Mighty K.

Once you own one you'll know: they can bake your legs into Southern-fried chicken drumsticks on hot days, tingle with high-frequency, cheap motel room vibes at speed, but especially right where you wish to ride, stop sluggishly with archaic two-piston Brembos more akin to a '70s machine than an '80s/90s, shifting gears is done with more of a solid clunk than as with a hot knife through melting butter, the seat might leave your backside feeling as though it's been ironed on a kiln-dried two-by-four, the electrical gremlins will have you believing in the occult, the sedate throttle response will make you wonder if that four 'zylinder' motor hasn't lost a little 'zyl' to live, with an exhaust note like an electric cricket playing a flute, or a mouse that has terminal flatulation, the wooden suspension will rattle your dental work and force you to be even more determined to get it to turn the way you intended, like an oarman's firm hand on the tiller of an overloaded barge, the motor's whine will have you scratching your chin in wonder at where exactly someone left the kitchen blender on, and the classically dated styling might have you stripping it down for that rather more basic café racer look so prevalent these days. Don't forget the rattle can of flat black paint.

However, if you do succumb to the sweet seduction of the non-too svelte machine, as we lot have, you will be heartily rewarded with a motorbike that tracks as straight as an arrow and which deftly responds to your slightest corrective input (OK, more like a gentle shove), a motor that sings to heaven's highs on a cherubic note all its Wagnerian own, a gearbox that selects gears like a well-ordered metal filing cabinet on steroids, a two-wheeled machine that appears cold chiseled from a slab of ancient Teutonic stone, that easily covers highway or backroad miles (or kilometres) with a relaxed and steady, locomotive-like gait, and most importantly, that is as reliable as a fridge, but not nearly as cool. Just the way we like 'em. Step back a metre or two to admire her flanks and she'll get you right where it counts.

Welcome to the fold. This is a great mob of informed K-philes, and a good bunch of top blokes, with a wealth of info at their feet and a willingness to share in order to overcome some of the long-known design deficiencies, love 'em or hate 'em. You may well feel right at home amongst us. I for one will never sell my blessed and Mighty K.

Last edited by Two Wheels Better on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:56 pm; edited 2 times in total

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

4Back to top Go down   Looking at owning one... Empty Re: Looking at owning one... Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:54 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to the group, to get the best brakes and all the mods go for a 1990 or later 16 valve .
Regards,
K-BIKE

5Back to top Go down   Looking at owning one... Empty Re: Looking at owning one... Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:35 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to a house full of nuts.... and bolts.... and a lot of K's all running sweet and those that aren't have access to a full compliment of well oiled experts!

The K is a great bike to ride I use mine for my 70 mile commute to and from work each day and doesn't let me down Very Happy

Looking at owning one... 169042Looking at owning one... 169034

6Back to top Go down   Looking at owning one... Empty Looking at owning one Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:36 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Bradman
when you first sit astride, and take that first ride, she'll feel heavy and clunky.500 miles later you will be wondering why it has taken so long to get one. And with 2 up, you will hardly notice the difference ( except when braking hard, that stock seat is a slider and you will get more cuddles than you need right then)
Good luck with the search
RT

7Back to top Go down   Looking at owning one... Empty Re: Looking at owning one... Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:53 pm

Rickmeister

Rickmeister
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome, Mr Bradman! TWB's beautiful description of the foibles of the Mighty K is incredibly true and to the point!

It definitely is the sort of machine, that once you get used to it, you will never want to get off the thing. We have many long rides here in Oz, as you guys do in the US of A. Many times, on the way home, I literally don't want to stop.

K-pox is a real phenomenon, once you've got it, you can't shake it.

8Back to top Go down   Looking at owning one... Empty Re: Looking at owning one... Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:32 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Welcome to the forum Brad-man. Once you get a K and get to know it, which takes almost no time at all, you will wonder why you didn't get one years ago and just bypass the others.
I have a Z1300 Kawasaki that I have owned since new and intend to restore to its former glory buy there is no way I would stop ridding my K1100 and go back to the Kawasaki.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

9Back to top Go down   Looking at owning one... Empty Re: Looking at owning one... Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:23 pm

krambo

krambo
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome aboard - once you get over the initial gut reaction to the "K" bike you will wonder why you waited this long to own one Wink

10Back to top Go down   Looking at owning one... Empty Could only look @ it today... Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:29 pm

Brad-Man

Brad-Man
Life time member
Life time member
Battery hadn't been charged...

He did call me when I was 3 miles shy of his Hi-rise condo, so I said I'd still come - just so if it looked halfway promising I would have psychological 1st dibs.

It's an'84 RS, w/o the front fairings and the naked headlight and a clear windscreen that also covers the hands.

He did mention trouble downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, so I imagine the splines will need to be lubed.

He's gonna put a trickle charger on it and I'll go back Saturday. I offered to pay xx$ to hold 'til then but he was embarrassed about the battery and said that it would be there Saturday for a test ride and that he wouldn't sell it out from under me since I was first to show up that didn't try to low-ball him. We shook hands and I feel comfortable.

I'm 5'11" w 31/32" inseam and I flat-footed it easily - It's lower than my RD 350's!

Felt fine hefting it and the bars felt great.

Will need the tank painted, and will probably want to get the naked bikes lower covers - the ones for the radiator that is...

Looking forward to Saturday!

11Back to top Go down   Looking at owning one... Empty Re: Looking at owning one... Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:07 am

tio Jaimito

tio Jaimito
Silver member
Silver member
do your homework between now and next visit. This is the place to study.

UJ

http://www.nachicagonorth.com

12Back to top Go down   Looking at owning one... Empty Re: Looking at owning one... Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:14 am

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
You have come to the right place Brad-man.
The only language spoken here is the sweet fluent sound of the K, ... oh yes we are very biased when it comes to our bikes.
good luck with your decision on which K to purchase.

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
Looking at owning one... 10_x_110

13Back to top Go down   Looking at owning one... Empty Re: Looking at owning one... Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:27 am

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Welcome Brad-man as the guys have all said this is the place and they are addictive, great bikes.

BIG D

14Back to top Go down   Looking at owning one... Empty Re: Looking at owning one... Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:11 am

Rjtrucker

Silver member
Silver member
Welcome Brad. Good to see another American join the group. Nothing against the other country's represented here but it's nice to see a local join. Local means less then 1000 miles and no oceans in between. If I can be of any service feel free to call me. Ron@(732)742-6007

93 K11LT
85 K100RS
85 K100RS turbo project.
And a load of K100 projects and parts.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum