BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty First time owning a BMW Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:59 am

Plowy

Plowy
G'day all,
I have just bought a basket case K 100 RS for the grand sum of $250 Very Happy . The plan is to rebuild it over the next year or seven First time owning a BMW 652573 . All my previous bikes were Kawasakis Twisted Evil, so I thought I would try something very different from what I am used to.

2Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Re: First time owning a BMW Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:01 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Hello Plowy. Yep they are different. But in a better way. I'm biased however!

Where in Qld?

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

3Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Re: First time owning a BMW Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:03 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Hi Ya plowy welcome to the forum. My last Jap bike was a Kawasaki which I still own but I can't see myself going back to it as a fulltime ride. These Ks are very addictive. You will end up with a bad case of Kpox. BTW where in Qld it's one big place care to narrow it down a bit.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Re: First time owning a BMW Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:04 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
"BTW where in Qld it's one big place care to narrow it down a bit."

Is there an echo in here? Razz Razz Razz

5Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Re: First time owning a BMW Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:14 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo.

BTW. Welcome to the madhouse, Plowy.

6Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Re: First time owning a BMW Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:17 am

klompy the grey brick

klompy the grey brick
VIP
VIP
gday mate...boy do you have an adventure in store.....you will be able to find any part you wish thanks to the gents here who know everything and very clever with it....I have had new bikes where parts were harder to get ...yep Kawasaki....so enjoy mate I wish I had found this earlier..the K100RS and the forum...

Last edited by Klompy the grey brick on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Chassis number0019026
Vehicle code0503
SeriesK589
ModelK 100 RS 83 (0502 ( 0503 )
Body typeK 100 RS 83 (0502
Catalog modelECE
Production date1984 / 07
Engine0513)

First time owning a BMW Au-log10

7Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Re: First time owning a BMW Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:21 am

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
watch out roaches, the toads are gathering in force.
welcome onboard Plowy, you should enjoy.

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
First time owning a BMW 10_x_110

8Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Re: First time owning a BMW Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:24 am

Plowy

Plowy
By the way "GO THE MIGHTY BLUES"

9Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Re: First time owning a BMW Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:28 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Um, that's a reference to some sort of football game isn't it? Yawn...

10Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Re: First time owning a BMW Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:32 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
It's what you get when your team doesn't win.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

11Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Re: First time owning a BMW Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:37 am

Plowy

Plowy
I currently live in Townsville but am originally from Sydney. I am currently going over the bike to see what is working and what isn't. The bike sat for at least six years, so it is in a very rough condition.

12Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Re: First time owning a BMW Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:40 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Whew 6 years it just might need a bit more than the usual TLC but for $250 if it's all there you are off to a good start.

13Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Re: First time owning a BMW Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:53 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Ok. Then you'll may want to know where you get parts from?

Motobins, based in the UK. Takes a couple of weeks for stuff to arrive to me.

Motorworks, also UK based.

James Sherlock, as above.

Munich Motorcycles over in Western Australia. More costly, but much quicker delivery.

...and your local Dealer.

If you're buying parts from the good ol' US of A, just check the postage. It can get pricey!

14Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Re: First time owning a BMW Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:55 am

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
Aahhhh, all is just fine, he's one of us, just on holidays I expect.
A few of my family have done the same, temporary migration (ten years so far)
I'm sure the guys up north will keep an eye on you.

2018 Kart upgrade.

15Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Re: First time owning a BMW Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:57 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
AND check the fuel tank to see what sort of mess is in there. Don't just flush it and refill it. Have a look at the condition of the fuel pump rubber damper. It could/will be a gooey mess.

16Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Re: First time owning a BMW Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:58 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
welcome aboard plowey ....enjoy the rebuild

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

17Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Re: First time owning a BMW Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:59 am

Halo

Halo
Life time member
Life time member
God another Queenslander they must breed K clones up there or something you lucky buggers. My last bike was a spastic ZX9R fully modded (picture on one of my resto pages) with 155 bhp at the rear wheel (I know there's greater bhp now & Rick G's bike etc) but this was a 99 model) with no weight as everything was stripped off with just an ace dash at the front (about 180 kg) and I loved her to death, then I bought a $500 K100 and F**K has it changed my life & thoughts on what a good motor bike is, I'll be amazed if you don't full in love with it , there a real creeper.

Halo

Last edited by Halo on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:04 am; edited 3 times in total

18Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Re: First time owning a BMW Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:59 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Don't take too much notice of grover he is a bit fanatical as you can see he dyed his fur blue. First time owning a BMW 652573

19Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Re: First time owning a BMW Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:15 am

Plowy

Plowy
blakey wrote:AND check the fuel tank to see what sort of mess is in there. Don't just flush it and refill it. Have a look at the condition of the fuel pump rubber damper. It could/will be a gooey mess.
So far I have removed the fuel pump and the rubber damper in pieces, and there is what looks like a brown scale in the tank. I have started scrubbing the inside of the tank with scotchbright and it is coming up alright. I have also removed the injectors and rail. Only one injector is still worked and the fuel rail had a lot of surface rust also. The engine turns over on the start button, and there is pressure in the oil system and all the spark plugs are firing. Will try and post some pics of the bike tomorrow.

20Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty injectors Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:57 am

klompy the grey brick

klompy the grey brick
VIP
VIP
was told that single over head cam Hyundai Excel injectors have the same impedence and flow of the genuine BMW Bosch injectors and that form,fit function identical...stopped by the wreckers picked up a set on a fuel rail and will give it a shot....but there are definately other injectors tried by our members such as FJ27 and also those fitted to some mid 90's Australian and yank fords....the reason we are looking down this road?..the genuine ones are unbelievably pricey....and there is another excellent choice one of our own RJ Trucker does a fine injector refresh service in the states.

Chassis number0019026
Vehicle code0503
SeriesK589
Catalog modelECE
Production date1984 / 07
Engine0513)

21Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Re: First time owning a BMW Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:04 am

larrikin

larrikin
Life time member
Life time member
blakey wrote:If you're buying parts from the good ol' US of A, just check the postage. It can get pricey!

Maybe our USA brother can help out with postage. It cold be cheaper to send it to a US address then get them to send on to you.
Just A thought.

It increases my paranoia
Like lookin' at my mirror and seein' a police car

22Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Re: First time owning a BMW Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:34 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The injectors from the V8 fords of the EA -ED and Fairlanes NA & NC are the same thing

23Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Re: First time owning a BMW Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:15 pm

krambo

krambo
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome aboard - I also have a Kawasaki (1982 KZ1100 Spectre) but since I got Kpox the Kawasaki has had little use apart from nice sunny days (rare here in the UK). Embrace the new challenge - you won't regret it Wink

24Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Pictures of my first Beemer. Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:38 pm

Plowy

Plowy
As promised, here are some pictures of the new toy.

First time owning a BMW Img_0417
First time owning a BMW Img_0418
First time owning a BMW Img_0420
First time owning a BMW Img_0419
First time owning a BMW Img_0421

The last photo is what is left of the fuel pump, rubber damper and filter.

25Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Re: First time owning a BMW Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:09 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Yep I reckon that is the most corroded fuel pump I have seen yet and should be very good to throw at the cat next door.
I have bought many of the fuel pump bits from EME http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/BMW-K-Parts-s/60.htm?searching=Y&sort=13&cat=60&show=20&page=1

26Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Re: First time owning a BMW Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:38 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Rick G wrote:Yep I reckon that is the most corroded fuel pump I have seen yet and should be very good to throw at the cat next door.

The most coroded? This was on my bench about 18 months ago. Despite the date showing it won't happen for another 8 years.

First time owning a BMW K100210

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

27Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Re: First time owning a BMW Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:42 am

klompy the grey brick

klompy the grey brick
VIP
VIP
Hey Rossco I hope that was from the donor bike.....not the "bob the builder special".....

Chassis number0019026
Vehicle code0503
SeriesK589
Catalog modelECE
Production date1984 / 07
Engine0513)

28Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Re: First time owning a BMW Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:49 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Klompy the grey brick wrote:Hey Rossco I hope that was from the donor bike.....not the "bob the builder special".....

That was from my bike.
Replaced it before I bought the donor bike

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

29Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Re: First time owning a BMW Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:55 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Yeah yours is very dirty and rust and shit but the case of the pump is not corroded as that one is.

30Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Re: First time owning a BMW Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:04 am

Life time member
Life time member
Halo wrote:God another Queenslander they must breed K clones up there or something

Halo

Yes Halo - apparently there is a woman giving birth in Queensland every 9 minutes......and if any one knows her would they please ask her to stop! :joker:

Welcome to the assylum Plowy, it's run by the inmates you know. Your K is looking a tad "under polished" but it also looks like you've made a good start on rectifying that. Goo look with it. I will follow your progress with interest.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

31Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Re: First time owning a BMW Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:55 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Plowy,
Great to have you with us and we will follow your rebuild progress in the "Your own renovation" section.
Regards,
K-BIKE

32Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Re: First time owning a BMW Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:44 pm

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
My pump looked like that after 5 years and it still turned so clean it and soak it in kero before you try turning it too much, you never know what will happen, I turned mine upside down and after clearing the gunge away it turned by flat blade screwdrive just gently fiddling and it moved, its not the one I'm using but thats because I dropped it whilst apart. Ya shouldn't drop things it seems

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Hi,
I am happy to see a new member of the BMW owners community.
My story is very much identical to yours. I bought a junker bike from a reseller for $500 US, thinking I could have a happy time rebuilding it to nice condition.
My project ended up taking me 4 months and the bike is not fully restored, just re-conditioned.
To be quite candid with you, There are many many very nice K100's out there that are already very nice and need little if any repair, selling for anywhere between $2,000 & $3,500 (at least in the USA).
To be truthful, I lost track of how much money I ended up spending on the project, but my best guess would be in excess of $5000.00.
Admitedly, I made some poor choices along the way with some of the purchases I made for used or new items, but I truley wish now that I had spent a bit more on the front end to get a more "ready to roll" item, instead of trying to "buy cheap" on the front end.
attached are a couple of before/after pics.
If you do decide to go ahead with this rebuild, I would advise you to keep VERY close track of all the expenses.
Just for fun, I would be interested in knowing what your costs were when finished.
Good luck!
IBJ
First time owning a BMW Photo310
First time owning a BMW Photo210
First time owning a BMW Photo111
First time owning a BMW Photo110
First time owning a BMW 10-20-11
First time owning a BMW 10-20-10

34Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Re: First time owning a BMW Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:17 am

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
Good job IBJMAN, a top effort and it shows ,
Plowy, it's stories such as this which give you inspiration to move forward to better things.
good luck with it all.

2018 Kart upgrade.

35Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Thank You Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:52 am

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for the kind words.
In my earlier years I started out with a 100cc yamaha 2 stroke twin.
After that, I aquired a 1969 Moto Guzzi V700 from a family friend who could no longer ride due to health issues.
I sold that after I bent the front fender in an unexpected meating with the rear bumper of a Ford Pinto.
My next bike was new 1978 R1007, from Marty's Foriegn Motors in Torrance, CA.
After I crashed that I got a very nice used 1981 R100rs, Anthricite Grey. That was my favorite motorcycle till some Yahoo decided to make a 3 point U-turn in front of my lane just at my exit to a curved tunnel.
Next, I replaced the Airhead rs with a used 1985 K1000rs. I drove that about 70,000 miles with no mechanical troubles.
During that period I also had a 1959 Harly Sportster on a hard tail frame with ape hanger handlebars, a kick start, straight pipes and NO retarder on the distributer (a bitch to start). I also had a Honda CX650 for an additional toy.
During that period, my best friend passed away at age 38, leaving to me his 1970 Moto Guzzi V-750 Ambassador which I still own, but seldom start.
I wrecked the 85 rs one day when going WAY too fast in an industrial park near my work, trying to avoid a car that crossed my path. The investigating officer said he measured 62 feet of "locked front wheel skid mark" before I finally fell. After I repaired that one, I sold all my bikes feeling that I simply did not have the common sense to ride safely.

Now, 20 years later.......retired from work and sitting in my easy chair......I have come upon my "second childhood syndrom" and bought this beast.
It's a very nice bike and I've ridden it about 5,000 miles since getting it up to speed in late October.
To be quite truthful......it's just not as much fun as I thought it would be.
I'm longing to find a way to get some money out of this one and replace it with an airhead rs. I really miss the "soft" docile quiet glassy smoothness that I loved about my 82rs.
Unfortunately, they sold so many of the quirky 85 Krs's that they are a dime a dozen on the current US markets while the old airhead rs's are going for premium $$$$$$!
I will continue to re-evaluate.

36Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Many thanks. Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:26 am

Plowy

Plowy
I would like to thank everyone for making me feel so welcome, and all the tech advice and encouragement from everyone. Very Happy
The plan is to restore the bike doing as much of the work on it myself, including spraying it. I will get it running first to make sure there are no mechanical gremlins and then strip it and rebuild it to as good as new. First time owning a BMW 112350

37Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Re: First time owning a BMW Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:30 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
fantastic result ibjman

there are so many dedicated and talented folk here ...it amazes me no end

good luck plowy ...when you need inspiration ...check out some of the restoration threads ...they are absolutly brilliant

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

38Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Re: First time owning a BMW Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:16 am

Plowy

Plowy
charlie99 wrote:fantastic result ibjman

there are so many dedicated and talented folk here ...it amazes me no end

good luck plowy ...when you need inspiration ...check out some of the restoration threads ...they are absolutly brilliant

I have just been having a look on restoration threads and think I will start a thread for this rebuild.

39Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Re: First time owning a BMW Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:17 am

AJ.Valente

AJ.Valente
Life time member
Life time member
Really like the motosport roundels, adds a nice touch.

40Back to top Go down   First time owning a BMW Empty Re: First time owning a BMW Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:05 pm

dmanley

dmanley
Silver member
Silver member
I bought a 1985 K100 RT a few months ago and immediately started the teardown. Between the Clymers and BMW microfiche it's been easier that I thought. I have a post running on the Your Own Restoration forum.
Like some of the other members have said it can quickly get out of hand buying parts. I pretty much used OEM parts for everything. May do it a little differently next time, which I'm already planning...

1985 K100RT

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum