jpg" />

BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Empty '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:14 pm

rotormotored

rotormotored
Hi all,
I'm finally ready to start posting reports of me and my son's progress for this build.
The story with this bike is that I bought it wrecked. It wasn't too badly damaged. Some the bodywork was damaged but a friend of mine repaired it. So I have, I think, all of the fairings and associated pieces and parts to hold it in place ... And I will not be using any of it. I will post some pics of these parts soon.
Anyway, regretfully, the bike did have to spend a couple of years outside and the plastic cover did get blown off a few times. The desert sun and the wind out here did it's damage.
So finally my son inspired me to begin the rebuild and so here we are and we have plans for this bike. It's not going to look very different from it's original look but I think that many of you out there have already seen these bike transformed into something else. .... I'm always afraid insulting the purist's out there but it's my bike and I can destroy it if I want to. I have no intention of destroying this bike I plan on reviving it from the dead.'87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike 3 jpg
I think I have just inserted an image. I'll check then continue.
Ed

2Back to top Go down   '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Empty Re: '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:37 pm

rotormotored

rotormotored
Here is a pic ... I think.

3Back to top Go down   '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Empty Re: '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:43 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
"I'm always afraid insulting the purist's out there but it's my bike and I can destroy it if I want to."

Agreed.

and no picture that I can see!

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

4Back to top Go down   '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Empty Frame prep Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:56 pm

rotormotored

rotormotored
'87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Photo-15
Here it is. We got it somewhat stripped down and we're planing on modifying the frame so that the rear of the sub frame tubes will be higher. I've thought about how I would go about this without warping the frame, ... somehow, ... sooo, ...
I thouhgt I'd leave the frame connected to the engine so as to to hold it all in place and together. I thought that the engine would act like a frame jig.
Then once we get it the way we want it, I'll go ahead and separate the frame from the engine.
Ed

5Back to top Go down   '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Empty a decent saddle at last Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:01 am

redbaron

redbaron
Ive always disliked the K100 saddle , too high up which causes instability in crosswinds. Soo I made my own special. I dunno how to add a picture, there is no here option to add one.

6Back to top Go down   '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Empty Seat Height Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:52 am

rotormotored

rotormotored
Hi redbaron,
Yes I had a difficult time trying to post a picture here also. My so had to figure it out for me. I use a Mac so if you have a PC, then I dodn't know how to do it or I'd tell you.
I would really like to see what you've done to the frame because I also think the ride seat height is too high. I am not tall and I almost have to jump onto the seat.
I would like to lower it slightly and make it a little more narrow.
Again, I'd really like to see what you've done. Good luck with the pics.
Thank you, Ed

7Back to top Go down   '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Empty Re: '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:55 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP

8Back to top Go down   '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Empty The Squak list ... Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:08 pm

rotormotored

rotormotored
Good Morning from the Southern Cal Desert,
I been thinking allot about accomplishing the all the tasks to bring this bike back to life, ... with a whole new attitude. Anyway that just means getting it all straightened out by dealing with the issue's that we have with her.
The first issue and the one that keeps coming to mind is that I'm NOT 100% sure about the engine. I was not able to get a satifactory compression test done because when I tested it, it tested very low: #1-90psi, #2-70psi, #3-90psi and #4-90psi.
It never occured to me to add oil into the cylinder and see if that helped it. But I did do a cylinder leak test to see if I had a problem that could be detected like a bad valve or bad piston rings. Anyway because of my ignorance and not wanting to remove the timing chain cover. We found that when we were on the compression stroke of each cylinder the engine would rotate so it wouldn't sit still on each compression stroke at TOP DEAD CENTER. The only way I could do the leak test was to put the transmission into gear and have my son try to hold the rear tire while I took the reading on the compression stroke of each cylinder. I had to help him hold the rear wheel while watching the gauge. So from what we could tell, we had less than 10% leakage from #1,#3 and #4 and less than 20% from #2. It looks like a tight engine and that's A GOOD THING.
Then someone suggested that I add oil to each cylinder and re-check compression. And I thought I should do that and put my mind at ease. When I was attempting to do the compression test, the first time, I noticed that my START switch was intermittant. It would work and crank the engine and then it wouldn't. So I decided to take the switch apart to see if we could clean it up. We ended up loosing one those tiny springs in the switch mechanism and could not find it. So obviously when I put it back together without that spring, my START switch would not work. I couldn't find my old remote START switch so I had to go buy a cheap one somewhere. I found one at Harbor Freight for $14.99 and it didn't work worth a damn. I was ready and set up and after only one crank on the engine it became intermittant then just came apart in my hand. So again no compression test results...
Next I went to the Napa Auto Parts store and found another remote START switch for only $18.99. I bought it put it on then the key ignition switch wouldn't even come on. And so I could not turn the engine over ... again.
So that's where I am concerning the actual health of the engine. I apologize for not taking any pictures from this FIASCO but I did the best I could to explain it to all of you.
I saw on here, somewhere somebody put a socket on the front of the engine crankshaft. I think that I should try again and this time I will remove the timing chain cover and put a socket on that front crankshaft nut. If anyone out there has had any kind of similar experiance I'd like to read about it.
This is one of the problems.....

9Back to top Go down   '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Empty The other big problem ... Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:49 pm

rotormotored

rotormotored
Hi again,
Upon futher investigation, I decided to have at my fuel system...'87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Photo-19
This what I found when I took the filler cap assembly off and looked inside..'87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Photo-20
And this...'87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Photo-21
'87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Photo-22
At first, I thought I was looking at RUST. But my son tells me it's aluminum.
And after looking at the tank closely, it must be an aluminum tank.
And so of course, the rest of the fuel system MUST be contaminated ...
'87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Photo-23
'87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Photo-24
So is ALL that crud in there just varnish?
So as anyone can see, I have my work cut out for me.

10Back to top Go down   '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Empty Re: '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:49 pm

Rjtrucker

Silver member
Silver member
Send me those injectors. It will be a test of my flow bench and cleaning system. There is no charge if I cant restore them to proper function.

93 K11LT
85 K100RS
85 K100RS turbo project.
And a load of K100 projects and parts.

11Back to top Go down   '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Empty Re: '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:34 pm

Be made

Be made
Life time member
Life time member
blakey wrote:and no picture that I can see!

Heh.. I know this is off topic for the thread but I thought I'd give my 2 cents anywayz.

For posting pics what I did was went to Gmail, created a blog, added the pics to the blog and then, from the blog, hovered the mouse over the image and selected "copy image location" and then came back to the forum and pasted the url into the box created by clicking the image icon.

maybe admin can add this instruction into the intro section or something . . it was the easiest fix for me

hope this helps someone :-)

12Back to top Go down   '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Empty Injectors Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:17 am

rotormotored

rotormotored
Rjtrucker wrote:Send me those injectors. It will be a test of my flow bench and cleaning system. There is no charge if I cant restore them to proper function.
Hey Rjtrucker,
That's sounds like it's worth a try. Send me a PM with all your info and send them to you.

Ed

13Back to top Go down   '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Empty That sounds more complicated Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:28 am

rotormotored

rotormotored
bemade wrote:
blakey wrote:and no picture that I can see!

Heh.. I know this is off topic for the thread but I thought I'd give my 2 cents anywayz.

For posting pics what I did was went to Gmail, created a blog, added the pics to the blog and then, from the blog, hovered the mouse over the image and selected "copy image location" and then came back to the forum and pasted the url into the box created by clicking the image icon.

maybe admin can add this instruction into the intro section or something . . it was the easiest fix for me

hope this helps someone :-)

Hey bemade,
That sounds even more complicated to me than this process, which I have just barely learned how to do ... and honestly, if it wasn't for my son, I probably would not have been able to figure it out on my own. Please remember that I am not of this younger generation who are seemingly born already computer literate. I'm just 2 years shy of half a century so when it comes to computeres, I'm a little slow.
Question. Is the method you described actually easier or does it offer more advantages i.e., more room to load data or better picture quality?

Ed

14Back to top Go down   '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Empty Parts I won't be using Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:23 pm

rotormotored

rotormotored
I have some body work if anyone is interested.'87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Photo-28
'87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Photo-29'87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Photo-30'87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Photo-31'87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Photo-32'87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Photo-33

15Back to top Go down   '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Empty Re: '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:31 pm

Be made

Be made
Life time member
Life time member
rotormotored wrote:Question. Is the method you described actually easier or does it offer more advantages i.e., more room to load data or better picture quality?
Ed

not sure if its easier but its easy for me. if you go to the blog you can see the full sized pictures by double clicking on the images so maybe thats an advantage

heres a sample:

http://mebemade1.blogspot.co.nz/

go there and double click the image of the SD900 at the bottom

16Back to top Go down   '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Empty parts compatibility? Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:07 pm

okr

okr
Can anyone comment on the parts compatibility between this and 1991 k100rs 16v?

I'de be interested in some of those.. but mine's a 1991. From the picture, those look
right, but I could use the advice of some more experienced members in here on compatibility
issues between years.

I also live in So-cal and am in the process of bringing my RS back to life after a series of
marginal owners.

17Back to top Go down   '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Empty Re: '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:09 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Easy to find out just go to the real OEM site and compare part numbers http://realoem.com/bmw/select.do

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

18Back to top Go down   '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Empty Back to the tank Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:34 pm

rotormotored

rotormotored
Hi again,
Someone told me to try putting "Simple Green" mixed with hot water and just swish it around then let it sit for a while.
Well I poured a gallon of the green stuff into it and boiled some water then poured it in also.'87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Photo-34'87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Photo-35
It does look like it's helping but I'm going to let it sit over night. We'll see what it looke like in the morning.
I suppose I could also try the old throw a bunch nuts and bolts in there then shake up a bit.
After that maybe some "Easy-Off" oven cleaner.
After that maybe some "Scrubbing Bubbles"

Ed

19Back to top Go down   '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Empty Re: '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:38 pm

Rjtrucker

Silver member
Silver member
Careful letting it soak too long. Simple green can eat at the aluminum if left too long. What strength was the mix? Also tank walls are not too thick and nuts might ding it from tbe inside.

93 K11LT
85 K100RS
85 K100RS turbo project.

20Back to top Go down   '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Empty Re: '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:31 pm

rotormotored

rotormotored
Hey RJTrucker,

Thanks for the idea. Maybe I won't throw in the nuts and bolts.
Ithought I'd leave the mix of 1 gallon of SG to about half gallon of water in over night. Would that be too long?

Also, I'll be sending those injectors Monday.

Ed

21Back to top Go down   '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Empty Re: '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:37 pm

Rjtrucker

Silver member
Silver member
I would add another half gallon of water. Dont let it sit over night. Drain it out and do it again tomorrow. When you plur it out you should see alot of muck come out. When you pour it back try to not pour the muck back in. A few rinses should get most of it out.

93 K11LT
85 K100RS
85 K100RS turbo project.

22Back to top Go down   '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Empty Tank seems to be cleaning up well Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:53 am

rotormotored

rotormotored
I'll pour this stuff out and do it again tomorrow. I'm very pleased with the results so far.
Now, once I finish rinsing the tank I'll have to get all the gunk out. And there's a bunch of it under the pump mount bracket.
'87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Photo-36'87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Photo-37
While I was in there I just went ahead and I disconnected the wires and removed the fuel pump. So now I'm able to get a better look at the construction of the tank. '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Photo-38
And the reason why I want to get a better look in there is because I'd like to modify the tank somewhat.
Anybody have any experiance cutting on one of these tanks?
I'm thinking ... smaller fuel pump ....Anyway, maybe that's another topic for another day.

Ed

23Back to top Go down   '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Empty Re: '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:07 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Ed things are coming along nicely. I would rethink the jig issue as it would pay to grab some 2inch rhs and make a little jig use some 1/8 thick flat bar for the uprights to locate the frame and you have the option to take the frame in any stage with you to a engineer or muffler merchant if you need special welding done. Especially if you own a wagon the whole lot can slip in the back and be down at the mechanics in no time. Its just a rectangle with uprights. but handy if ya need to get a second opinion someplace. Also if you modify the tank consider this, The bosch unit used by these bikes is similar to the bosch units used in early mid 80's cars where the pump was just infront of the tank and as we now have dozens of injected bikes with other tanks that can be used you have the ability to pick and choose how you deliver fuel to the injectors, similar flow and pressure are available, and if you do cut up your tank it may prove easier to run an external pump with short pickups and a new return line, just bepend on whats in your head.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

24Back to top Go down   '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Empty Re: '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:18 pm

rotormotored

rotormotored
Hi K75cster,
Thank you for the info on the fuel pumps. I do plan on modifying the tank by cutting it. i will need to do some investigating on which type of pump I can successfully adapt to the modified tank. I know that there are plenty of options out there.
As far as the frame goes, the modifying is in progress. I will post pics soon.

Ed

25Back to top Go down   '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Empty Fuel Pump Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:21 pm

rotormotored

rotormotored
Hi Again, everybody
I forgot to ask.
Does anyone have a pic of the fuel pump that goes into a K100 tank. Or can someone provide a link to a previous posting.
Thanks,
Ed

26Back to top Go down   '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Empty Re: '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:15 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
You put a pic of it three posts earlier, is that not the type of pic you want? actually you show it insitu and out of the tank, what were looking for in a pic??

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

27Back to top Go down   '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Empty Re: '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:28 pm

rotormotored

rotormotored
I guess what I want to see is, does it come covered by some kind of plastic or rubber.
And is there a screen in there somewhere.
I guess I'll try to look at parts manual.
Sorry,
Ed

28Back to top Go down   '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Empty Re: '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:13 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Could be that this picture would help:

'87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike 666px-10

29Back to top Go down   '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Empty That's what I meant ... Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:42 am

rotormotored

rotormotored
Yes thank you, Mr.Inge K.
That is what I wanted to see.
I could not make out the shape the black piece and my screen is gone.
I trust that you are staying warm over there in Norway.

Ed

30Back to top Go down   '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Empty The Frame Mod Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:49 pm

rotormotored

rotormotored
Hi again,
Well we are finally able to move forward on this build. After much thought and attempted planning, we came to a desicion on what to cut and exatcly where. Even though some of you would disagree what we did, we are sticking to our guns on this.
We chopped the frame at 4.625" behind the fuel tank mount points on the top tubes. Then we chopped the down rear diagonal tube that comes down and welded just above the rear transmission mount.
But before we cut we tack welded supports across and before the chop line. So as to prevent the frame from warping. I wish we had a proper frame jig for doing this. But I guess the best we could do is just simply garage engineering. Not the proper way, I know but we think we were to preserve the alingment and integrity of the frame just fine.
And incidently, if anyone has ANY good ideas on building a proper frame jig, I'm all ears ... and eyes. '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Img_0011
'87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Img_0012
I'll admit that I wish I had better methods but I think we should be able to produce a good look with good results.'87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Img_0013
'87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Img_0015
It's all a bout the triangles, ... right?

Ed and Matt

31Back to top Go down   '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Empty Re: '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:38 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Definately all about the triangles, Are you planning on a metal rear guard?

32Back to top Go down   '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Empty Metal Rear Guard? Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:36 am

rotormotored

rotormotored
Hi K75cster,
I'm not sure what you mean by rear guard. Do mean like a flat piece sheet metal attatched to the rear diagonal down tube to act as a fender/mud guard?
And not sure that we've come to that point in our planning ... yet.
Can you please explain or provide some kind of pic?

Ed and Matt

33Back to top Go down   '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Empty Garage Engineering Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:29 pm

rotormotored

rotormotored
Hi again,
I really wasn't crazy about actually cutting part of the frame off. Especially right down the middle of the triangle and in effect destroying the strength of the frame.
Since I don't own any kind of frame jig or fixture I decided to take matters into my own hands. I've seen people chop all kinds of stuff then weld somethig to it and most of the time, it all seems to turn out OK.
So if I was going to do this, I was going to make sure that I would take every precaution to make to ensure that the frame did not get bent or distorted or misalinged in any way. So that's why I had my son tack weld smaller diameter temporary cross members at every point which was to be cut.

'87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Photo-10
Temp cross members tacked into place

'87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Photo-11
Matt's doing the tack welding

'87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Photo-12
'87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Photo-14
But we needed to know exactly how thick this tubing was and that's why we cut here first. It seemed like a safe first cut.
'87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Photo-15
'87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Photo-16
So that is the way we did it. We kept it rigid where we cut it.
The next thing I did was to make sure that those two top tubes were cut square and were equal lenths from the fuel tank mounts. I took the frame to work with me and just secured it to the tail gate of my little truck and went to work with a file and a machinsit square.
'87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Photo-17
'87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Photo-18
Just like an little old mexican woman selling tamales out of the back of her truck.
'87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Photo-19
'87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Photo-21
Bringing my work home with me, ... or is it the other way around...

Ed and Matt

34Back to top Go down   '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Empty Re: '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:01 pm

Rjtrucker

Silver member
Silver member
You went and cut the triangle. You are a braver man then me. If you need a frame I have a few here. With and without titles. I would have done it with a spare before cutting the original one. I am sure it will be fine but you will need to watch it in the beginning for signs of flex or stress.

93 K11LT
85 K100RS
85 K100RS turbo project.

35Back to top Go down   '87 K100rs Cafe Streetbike Empty Had to do it ... Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:20 pm

rotormotored

rotormotored
Hey Ron,
Yes we did. But just know this, ... I took your advice. I am just making new triangles.
I remembered you telling me that it's ALL about the triangles. I do plan on keeping an eye on it by inspecting it every day.
I just might have to take you up on one of those frames if this one goes south. We shall see.

Ed

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum