BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Why the K100? Empty Why the K100? Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:33 pm

JOINYMAN

JOINYMAN
Silver member
Silver member
I will post a picture of my bike soon, however, at the moment I am far too busy learning about what makes it tick. As it is new to me, I am following the recommendation on the portal of the forum. One question to all you bikers is I know why I chose this bike, but what made you buy the K100. Answers on a post card please as to why you thought this make was the bike for you.
Cheers.
Joinyman

2Back to top Go down   Why the K100? Empty Re: Why the K100? Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:42 pm

I bought mine sight unseen off the internet because I was looking for something with decent horsepower and shaft drive to drag the sidecar about. It could have been anything with those two attributes. As it turns out, I was extremely lucky, as this bike does that job exceedingly well. The motor is remarkably good, with good power all the way through the rev range on the 8 valve and is unquestionably reliable. It will take a good thrashing and always come back for more! The RT version, which is what I have, also has a very good riding position for both sidecar riding and touring. The addition of a home made sheepskin seat cover makes long days in the saddle ( 700km+) a breeze.
Sean.

3Back to top Go down   Why the K100? Empty Re: Why the K100? Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:19 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Why not?

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   Why the K100? Empty Re: Why the K100? Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:01 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
A locomotive on two wheels. Strong. Chunky. It's all about the engine.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

5Back to top Go down   Why the K100? Empty Re: Why the K100? Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:06 pm

beanoldboy

beanoldboy
Life time member
Life time member
Wanted a Tourer with some storage and a screen , purchased k100 as a test of the style and weight.
I won't part with this K

http://www.airware.com.au

6Back to top Go down   Why the K100? Empty Why the K100? Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:19 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
I just wanted to pull the chicks.

Doesn't work.

7Back to top Go down   Why the K100? Empty Re: Why the K100? Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:11 pm

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
Why the K100? 44271

reliability , functionability, practicality, versatility, economobility, rideability

oh, and by the way did I mention colourability, goes so well with my eye colour.

any other itty's I missed ( nothing Sh................................ity about it)
Damned good bike allround.

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
Why the K100? 10_x_110

8Back to top Go down   Why the K100? Empty Re: Why the K100? Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:09 am

AJ.Valente

AJ.Valente
Life time member
Life time member
Horsepower is a strong motivator. If you look at some typical bikes of 10 years ago there were none even approaching 100 HP.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/cruiser_motorcycle_chart.htm

Many of the super bikes of today are well over 100 HP, which is something of a benchmark.

http://motorcycles.findthebest.com/ (click "Advanced Tab" to sort on horsepower).

The BMW K100 was at its introduction a super bike. The amazing thing, of course, is its durability such that 20-odd years later there are so many still on the road.

Cost is a major factor. I wish I had $20K for the latest and greatest, but can still afford a somewhat aging K100 in the low four figures. That's the real attraction. Here's a high horsepower machine, slick faring, disc brakes, advanced suspension, electronic fuel injection and ignition, shaft drive, etc. and parts abound because it was so popular in the past. Finally, as others have written here, these bikes still look modern even by today's standards. All one need's is a shop, a wrench, a good manual, and viola--you're riding a super bike!

9Back to top Go down   Why the K100? Empty Re: Why the K100? Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:30 am

frogy

frogy
Silver member
Silver member
Started riding after a 10 year break (kids and too many close calls in the state of MD.).Got back into it 3 years ago with a R1150RT.Wanted to tour this new state, to me,od MO. Hit several Rally's each year and loved the wind protection on the cold days.But the heat and HUMIDITY of this state was getting to me.

I decided I wanted a Naked for the summer heat waves,but my better half said "keep it cheap"Sad. I figured I could pick up a damaged "faired" bike and strip it down to its bones and have a cheap Naked.I looked at diff. brands but kept coming back to BMW.I have always studied before I bought anything because I keep it long term.I dont buy things because its the new fad,I buy because it will last.

I kept hearing about the K's and checked into the diff. models,1200s,1100s,and then the older "flyin bricks".I was so smitten (can a guy say smitten?) with the look of the K100s and the ability of so many diff. looks (LT,RT,RS:affraid:,C) that it was time to track one down.I found one in Tennessee.The plastics were worn out but the orig.owner had put over 6 thou. into the bike before again letting it sit and finaly selling it to a kid who wanted to try touring.The kid came to realize he did not like touring.I bought it from him and in the midst of stripping her down.

I dont think I could have bought a bike with this kind of reliablity and modern features (fuel inj.,shaft drive,rear calipers)for the $ I spent to buy it.And the fact that it only has 11,000miles on the odo means the motor is not even broken in yet.

This is another keeper.

10Back to top Go down   Why the K100? Empty Re: Why the K100? Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:15 pm

tio Jaimito

tio Jaimito
Silver member
Silver member
One of the best forums in terms of support, documentation, attention, humor, cameraderie, seriousness and technical prowess. Just no equal. That is what your K has gotten you. Welcome and don't be afraid to pitch in or ask any questions.
UJ

Peggy's 1987 K75s Columbia Grey 9500miles 6 valve.

Why the K100? K100_m12

Why the K100? K75_po12
Why the K100? Basil_10
http://www.nachicagonorth.com

11Back to top Go down   Why the K100? Empty Re: Why the K100? Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:03 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Good to have you with us Joinyman, for me the look was the thing that sold me on the K100RS it just looked "right" good to have you with us.
Regards,
K-BIKE

12Back to top Go down   Why the K100? Empty Re: Why the K100? Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:05 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Joinyman and welcome to the forum.

It's all been said - the RS fairing to me is an all-time great looker (even if functionally the benefits of the screen design can be questioned Very Happy) so I had to have one. I do also love the solidity, which is quite a lot to do with the engine; it's like an express train or maybe a juggernaut.

On a practical note (which had nothing to do with why I bought it) spares are plentiful and it is generally good to work on for the home mechanic.

Enjoy your K, look forward to seeing the photos Why the K100? 177912

Cheers
Dave

13Back to top Go down   Why the K100? Empty Re: Why the K100? Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:53 pm

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
My first one:
I lost all the points on my licence in 2 speeding fines in 6 months on my 1100 Suzuki. It had to go, I bought a K100RT to slow down.
Once you've had a good K its hard to let them go. Comfort, handling, capability. Mine have mostly been sidecar tugs but thaey are just great machines.

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Why the K100? K-dogs10

14Back to top Go down   Why the K100? Empty Re: Why the K100? Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:11 am

JGT

JGT
Platinum member
Platinum member
Needed more grunt than my R80, rock bottom prices at the minute in the UK, why would you buy Jap when these are so cheap, great fairing (LT), taught handling, engine and trans are the frame. Had mine 12 months, love it. John

15Back to top Go down   Why the K100? Empty Why K100? Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:27 pm

Colin Howe

Colin Howe
I saw a photo of a K100/2 on the BM Bikes site and thought it looked cool! Very Happy

Why the K100? K1002-2

16Back to top Go down   Why the K100? Empty Re: Why the K100? Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:38 pm

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Was working in the Middle East and wanted to buy a bike and tour Europe. Test rode a Ducati 900 SS from the garage of Steve Wynne in Cheshire(?). Fell in love but knew that being on the road for three months I had no storage capability. My R65 sort of made me see the practicality of a BMW. So bought the '91 K75S from the factory in Germany and have kept it ever since.

Love - maybe.
Practicality and reliability - definitely.

And less chance of killing myself than on a UJM.

17Back to top Go down   Why the K100? Empty Re: Why the K100? Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:34 pm

AuntieBB

AuntieBB
My K was bought for me as a 21st birthday present. I probably would have preferred a GSX-R1100, but hey, I think the BM worked out to be the much better option in the long run.

18Back to top Go down   Why the K100? Empty Re: Why the K100? Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:53 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I must say Carolyn that there are not too many fathers who would buy their daughter a motorbike let alone for a 21st birthday present, you are truely blessed to have one.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

19Back to top Go down   Why the K100? Empty Re: Why the K100? Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:35 pm

the.postman

Life time member
Life time member
I was getting to the age when the cbr1000 scared the crap out of me and the srx just too small for anything other than a fun scratch along the country lanes.
Was looking for something around the 1000cc mark and was offered the k100rs taxed and tested for 50p a cc.

Jumped in with both feet and bought it without even viewing... Not a smart thing to do I know but hey, Got a lift to pick it up, helmet and £500 in hand and rode it home.
Noticed a little clutch slip on the M/way. Got it home and spent the next few weeks replacing crank and gearbox seals,clutch, swing arm bearings, brake discs etc. etc.
Wow what a learning curve that was... Thanks to this great forum

Use it daily for my run to work now

cbr and srx not been out of the garage since

1985 K100 RS   104EA49840092        #0081788     SILVERish (Madison) Prod. date 05/12/84
1984 srx 600
1986 cbr1000f/h

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum