BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Overheating Empty Overheating Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:23 pm

JOINYMAN

JOINYMAN
Silver member
Silver member
Have you guys got a simple way of knowing if the cooling system is working correctly. When I turn the engine on the temperature warning light does not come on, which I suppose is OK but how do I know if the coolant is over heating because i do not know if the bulb actually works or not without physically removing the speedo from the bike and checking the bulbs. This seems to be an awful lot of work if there is a simpler way of finding out.If in the meantime and the engine does overheat how will I know? (probably a stupid question) .
As I am now a bona fide paid up member of this forum, I feel that I am entitled to ask stupid questions but hope that someone will feel sufficently sorry for me that they will be able to help.
Thanks
Joinyman

2Back to top Go down   Overheating Empty Re: Overheating Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:31 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
If you poke carefully at the fan can you turn it? I ask because they can seize up and then will never blow regardless how hot the bike is. If you let the bike idle for 20 minutes or so the fan should come on and cool it down. The overheat warning lamp does not come on during the pre-start and start cycle because if it is on you cannot start the bike, which is an intentional feature of the K if it comes on whilst riding you can continue riding until you are in a safe situation but once you switch off you cannot re-start until it is out.
Regards,
K-BIKE

3Back to top Go down   Overheating Empty overheating Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:49 pm

JOINYMAN

JOINYMAN
Silver member
Silver member
K-BIKE wrote:If you poke carefully at the fan can you turn it? I ask because they can seize up and then will never blow regardless how hot the bike is. If you let the bike idle for 20 minutes or so the fan should come on and cool it down. The overheat warning lamp does not come on during the pre-start and start cycle because if it is on you cannot start the bike, which is an intentional feature of the K if it comes on whilst riding you can continue riding until you are in a safe situation but once you switch off you cannot re-start until it is out.
Regards,
K-BIKE
Thankyou for your detailed reply its been very helpful. The fan is free . If I do a test and the fan did does not come on or the warning light fails to light will the engine just seize up, or is this senario unrealistic,and just trust in the magic of the k100 fairy?

4Back to top Go down   Overheating Empty Re: Overheating Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:15 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
JOINYMAN wrote:
If I do a test and the fan did does not come on or the warning light fails to light will the engine just seize up, or is this senario unrealistic,and just trust in the magic of the k100 fairy?

Trust in the magic of the fairy.
You could run the bike for 30 minutes and not have the fan come on. Really needs to be ridden for 10 mins then leave it running and sit and watch for 20 minutes. You will know when it comes on because the heat will carry out any residual pixie dust from under the fairing.
I have found on idle my fan very rarely comes on while in the garage.

And welcome to the forum.

rossco

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

5Back to top Go down   Overheating Empty Re: Overheating Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:44 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Under the fuel tank in the relay box there is a temp sensing relay that turns the fan on and off at the right times among other things. If you connect 12v+ to the Violet/yellow wire at terminal A2 the fan should run or connect a ground to the violet/green wire on terminal E it will test the relay and start the fan.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

6Back to top Go down   Overheating Empty Overheating Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:50 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Hi mate, just for your info my fan wasn't working unbeknown to me, and eventually I found out as steam came boiling up between the front of the seat and the fuel tank. The lid had popped off the overflow reservoir as it boiled. After I let everything cool down, I just filled it up with water and she ran me to a garage here I got some coolant.
Back home I found the fan was frozen so got a new one. I was in a major traffic jam after being on a freeway for an hour so the bike didn't like stopping so quick.
Anyway, the temp light did not come on even at that stage. I reckon whilst ever the bike is moving you won't have any probs. Just test the fan as Rick says, you will be able to hear it if it comes on in traffic.
RT

7Back to top Go down   Overheating Empty Re: Overheating Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:17 am

gmcq

gmcq
Gold member
Gold member
Hi Joinyman, my K1100 has temp gauge but never gets half way through the range. My fan has never come on while using the bike. The other guys live in the upside down continent with warm sunny weather, we don't, so our bikes may run cooler. Just a thought. Welcome to the forum.

GMcQ

P.S It has just started to snow!

8Back to top Go down   Overheating Empty Re: Overheating Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:41 am

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
On both my K's the fan would kick in if I was in traffic for a while on a warm day.
Nothing happening this time of the year.
You will hear the fan when it starts up.
Best way to check it is to take a run out and let it tick over in the garage or out of the wind anyway. Should come on okay.

http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

9Back to top Go down   Overheating Empty Overheating Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:34 pm

JOINYMAN

JOINYMAN
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks very much for all the advice from you men of bricks.Went for a spin ,put the bike in the garage left it running, 10 minutes later fan started ,result bike didnt explode and set fire to my house. Yippee its a winner!

10Back to top Go down   Overheating Empty Overheating Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:40 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Result. Blood pressure down.
Now I'd like to know the colour code of your bike, its a great blue.
RT

11Back to top Go down   Overheating Empty Re: Overheating Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:59 pm

JOINYMAN

JOINYMAN
Silver member
Silver member
RT wrote:Result. Blood pressure down.
Now I'd like to know the colour code of your bike, its a great blue.
RT
I,m sorry cant help you,I bought it off this mistical bloke on e-bay who I,ll probably never see again.

12Back to top Go down   Overheating Empty Re: Overheating Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:40 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
RT,
If it's a standard K colour, I think it would be 618 caribicblau.

Paul.

13Back to top Go down   Overheating Empty Overheating Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:33 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
I am old enough to call that electric blue.(you all may join in the chorus).
Tks Paul.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum