BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Painting plastic parts Empty Painting plastic parts Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:42 pm

BooG

BooG
Platinum member
Platinum member
Is it possible to jolly up the black plastic parts by painting them? If so, what paint works?
Cheers.

2Back to top Go down   Painting plastic parts Empty Re: Painting plastic parts Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:56 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
"bumper black" spray seems to work on all the non glossy areas ....panieers etc

blakey and a many others have had some great resullts

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   Painting plastic parts Empty Re: Painting plastic parts Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:04 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Hi BooG,
I've just painted a black indicator housing white!

You'll just need some brand of plastic primer for starters and then I would use Plastikote for black parts, but for the matching white I had to use acrylic car rattle cans (Halfords). Probably most paints would be OK, but I would avoid cellulose paints on plastic.

Painting plastic parts Sam_0611

Paul.

4Back to top Go down   Painting plastic parts Empty Re: Painting plastic parts Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:09 pm

BooG

BooG
Platinum member
Platinum member
Wow! Very cool!
Will pick up some tomorrow!

5Back to top Go down   Painting plastic parts Empty Re: Painting plastic parts Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:09 am

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
I picked up this tip from another forum, although I can't locate the original source right at the moment. Instead of painting, it is possible to restore sun faded plastic to its original look using a mixture of 2 parts paint thinner to 1 part boiled linseed oil. Rub the mixture into the plastic and wipe off any excess. The plastic will be restored to original black colour with appropriate sheen.

Before and after photos

6Back to top Go down   Painting plastic parts Empty Re: Painting plastic parts Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:29 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Wow robmack, what a difference!

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

7Back to top Go down   Painting plastic parts Empty Re: Painting plastic parts Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:38 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I wonder how long it lasts. I worked in a boat place and the saledman used to rub the fibreglass boats down with Johnsons Baby Oil and wow what a smooth looking finish but it only lasted about 3-4 weeks and back to dull and chalky finish but by then he had their money.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

8Back to top Go down   Painting plastic parts Empty Re: Painting plastic parts Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:41 am

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
It should last longer than 3-4 weeks. The linseed oil will dry to a film; baby oil won't create such a film. Better than linseed oil would be tung oil. It is one of the ingredients of varnish and will produce a more durable film. The thinners help the oil penetrate the plastic. I've done plastic restoration on some of my K75 parts using Liberon furniture oil that I had to hand and can attest that it does work.

9Back to top Go down   Painting plastic parts Empty Re: Painting plastic parts Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:53 am

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
I've seen the hot-air gun treatment but prefer something less aggressive.

My method is remove the discoloured surface as you would with paint. I use a cutting compound:

Painting plastic parts BMW%20K75S%20%28309%29-L

Then a polish that doesn't turn white or milky on plastic. The two that I've found to safely avoid turning black plastic grey are Mer and my preference now, Autoglym Aquawax:

Painting plastic parts BMW%20K75S%20%28311%29-L

Painting plastic parts BW%20K75S%20%28308%29-L

10Back to top Go down   Painting plastic parts Empty Plastic rejuvenated Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:41 am

Garyk100

Garyk100
Gold member
Gold member
Hope this is the right place, it is an old thread, saw this idea on tiktoke, most of the stuff on there is sh*# but this worked, I saw people on here talking about the plastic stone guard for the front guard, so I dug mine out from the depths of my shed, coincidentally I just painted and replaced my front guard with one from a 1100LT the stone guard came with it, I was not going to put it on as it looked terrible, check this out,

Painting plastic parts 4afdfe10
Painting plastic parts 982a7c10

Put the heat gun on low and go slowly
Painting plastic parts 7298cc10
Painting plastic parts F8db6c10

11Back to top Go down   Painting plastic parts Empty Re: Painting plastic parts Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:13 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Yes, that is an old trick that detailers use to repair scuffs and scratches on soft plastic interior and exterior parts like door, window and seat trim.  Works pretty good, but you need to get a bunch of practice before you go after any parts that are hard or expensive to replace. It's very easy to make the part look worse than before you "fixed" it.

For really small damage, I have used a butane cigar lighter which has an intense but focused flame.  Gotta be really careful with that thing, though.  The trick is to be able to get rid of the shine.  I have had a little bit of success with ScotchBrite or 800/1000 grit paper getting the shine blended into the matte finish of the part.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

12Back to top Go down   Painting plastic parts Empty Re: Painting plastic parts Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:20 am

Garyk100

Garyk100
Gold member
Gold member
Yes I would not try it on fancy stuff, don’t feel that confident, but the lid on the elect box under the back of the tank has always just sat there all bowed and bent up, and possibly let moisture in, while I had the heat gun handy I put some weight on the lid run the gun around it, it now clips in and is flat, what else can I fix with it 😃

1991 K100rs16v

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum