BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:44 pm

Wigwam

Wigwam
Greetings fellow K-bike :pirat:

I have reviewed more posts about tires (tyres) than Carter has liver pills Tyres, tires and more bloody tires 61740

Would someone please give me the straight dope on the best all around tire for 1985 K100RS, especially for a wet climate like the Pacific Northwest (US), where the riding season can be year round, or at least 10 1/2 months out of the year.

I am currently running Dunlap 100/90-18 on the front, and don't really like it. It is too prone to follow the grooves in the pavement. And a Metzler 130/90 V17 on the back, I like it, but the rear end likes to slide around too much for for comfort.

Thank you everyone, as you know I am new to this forum, and I look forward to being able to share my own experience with y'all soon.

Cheers from the great northwest, and I include British Columbia in that :queen:

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to the asylum.
You've just started one of the most favourite topics on the forum.
The bottom line is suck it and see. Everyone has their own preferences. Don't listen to the Aussies, they're spoilt for weather. 30C!
Your climate sounds like ours in Ireland.
My personal choice would be Bridgestone BT45's or Michelin Active Pilots.
The Bridgestones are good, but I find the Michelins almost as good with better mileage.

1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100RT Madison Silver(gone)
1989 K100LT Stratus Grey(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)
http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

Life time member
Life time member
I had a michelin on the back and a pirelli sport demon on the front on my LT. Got a new set of the sport demons and I have never had a moments concern on them even in the wet. Reported mileages are good too early to say on mine after 4k miles they are still young looking. I couldn't reccomend them highly enough.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
I've ridden on Metzeler, Continental, Michelin, Dunlop and Pirelli on 8-valve K-Series.

The Dunlops, which were radial-ply and no longer available, were the best. Of the rest, lately my favourite is Pirelli Sport Demon.

Having said all that, the problem, other than personal preference and riding style is the surfaces/construction of roads where you live. Road construction varies according to local conditions and that will affect the way that the tyres perform (both in terms of grip and wear rate).

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
I have used the BT45's but found that they cracked at an alarming rate very quickly. They looked after a short while as if they were a very old tyre They were what the PO fitted and I replaced with the same which went the same way.

I am now running Michelin Activ Pilot, over-sized on the back and standard on the front. So far so good lots of grip and are performing well in all weathers. Chicken strips show I have just a bit more lean available to me if I need it too....

Tyres, tires and more bloody tires 169042Tyres, tires and more bloody tires 169034

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
I'm taking a razor to my chicken strips on my new tyres so I don't get bagged out by the bike shop when I have to get new ones.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Take the wheel off and when you take it in tell them it's for your dads bike and they wont bat an eyelid.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
As well as still trying to Wheelie an LT I am also trying to get my knee down to loose the Chicken strips.... Deff good to know we all call them the same thing around the world!

On my BT45's I did find that the center of the tyre wore less than the section on either side... I did contemplate increasing the pressure but with the cracking I really didn't want to push it too far.

Tyres, tires and more bloody tires 169042Tyres, tires and more bloody tires 169034

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
twincarb wrote:

On my BT45's I did find that the center of the tyre wore less than the section on either side... I did contemplate increasing the pressure but with the cracking I really didn't want to push it too far.

BT45 are dual compound tires (The sides are softer than the center).
Riding with the correct air pressure is critical. I had a front BT45 missing 5lbs of pressure and after 2K, it had to be replaced. The sides were scalloping.

10Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Re: Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:23 am

10-ring

10-ring
Silver member
Silver member
Hi all Right now I have Metzler's (140/80-17 and 100/90-18) on the 85 RT
How much over size can you go on the rear tire? Mine is looking kind of square and the weather is starting to turn all most 45F today very frostie right now.
thanks G

11Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Re: Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:20 pm

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
A 140 rear is already oversize for your bike.

The issue with increased tyre size without the equivalent rim is that the tread area will be out of shape, domed towards the centre.

You then have to balance the advantage of a slightly increased tread area against the fact that the profile will not be as intended and likely increased wear down the centre. The wider you go, the more pronounced will be the altered profile.

12Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Re: Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:37 pm

larrikin

larrikin
Life time member
Life time member
Comberjohn wrote: Don't listen to the Aussies, they're spoilt for weather. 30C!
And loving every minute of it. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I run Metzler Lazatech rear and Perfect front. I don't need to cut of the rubber from the chicken strip. I let the road do that Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

It increases my paranoia
Like lookin' at my mirror and seein' a police car

13Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Re: Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:39 pm

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
MikeP wrote:A 140 rear is already oversize for your bike.

The issue with increased tyre size without the equivalent rim ...

From memory ... the limiting factor in fitting oversize tyres on my '86 K100 was tyre to drive shaft housing clearance. I stand corrected, but even if you find a wheel, the tyre may not clear the housing at the gearbox end of things.

Avon Azaro just clears the housing by a few mm. BTW this is the only radial tyre that I could find to fit the rear wheel.

Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Avon-fitted

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (naked)
1997 BMW K1200RS red, VIN: WB10544A1VZA22667

14Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Re: Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:46 pm

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
larrikin wrote:
Comberjohn wrote: Don't listen to the Aussies, they're spoilt for weather. 30C!
And loving every minute of it. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I run Metzler Lazatech rear and Perfect front. I don't need to cut of the rubber from the chicken strip. I let the road do that Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Oh come on, you can hardly say that this summer was perfect in Sydney... temp just ticked over 30C and it even rained some days Smile It was bloody hard to decide on what to wear SmileSmile

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)

15Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Re: Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:04 am

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
I have driven about 450km now with new Michelin Pilot Active tyres. Old tyres were, well old, I mean really old - and shape was gone (flat in the middle) and I have not driven any other K100. But to the point. With these new tyres my flying brick seems to have lost it's brickness. It is just flying. And I have taken it easy since there is low temperatures here and sand after winter at corners etc. And of course because they are brand new.

I still must say that I really like these tyres and if they last atleast 10 000km rear and say 12 000km front I will definetely buy same type of tyres next. (Unless I make my K more Off Road vehicle - then I shall buy some off roading tyres...)

16Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Re: Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Thu May 01, 2014 3:30 pm

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
I have to say that the durability of Pilot Actives was a bit of a disappointment. Here is my rear tyre after about 7000km (with 6500km 2,6bar pressure and rest testing with 2,8bar):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58323882/DSC_0210.JPG

17Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Re: Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Thu May 01, 2014 6:53 pm

Born Again Eccentric

Born Again Eccentric
Life time member
Life time member
Don't know what the roads are like in Finland, but reckon they can't be worse than the UK roads. I have not tried Michelins on my K100LT so can't comment on the wear rate you have experienced, but I share your disappointment.

I have just put another set of Avon Road Riders (front and back) on my bike as I have had been pretty pleased with their performance - both in road handling (wet, dry and icy) and wear rate and they were a good price (£162 for the two). I changed the rear tyre because of the puncture (screw) picked up on the way home from work last week and the fact that the tyre was close to it's tread limit anyway. I changed the front at the same time because I need to replace the wheel bearings and it was easier to get a new tyre on my spare front wheel (and keep riding) and do the bearings slower time.

This is the condition of my old Avons....

Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Img_7116  Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Img_7117

Rear: Remaining tread ~ 1.8 - 2mm                                          Front: Remaining tread ~ 2.5mm (another 2 - 3k miles?)
Rear tyre mileage 8000 miles (~12900km)                                Front tyre mileage 12215 miles (~19600km)

New rear tyre tread ~ 6mm                                                      New front tyre tread ~ 5.5mm

Avon Road Riders seem to get bad press, but don't know why. I was going to go for BT 045s this time round just to see what they were like....but a pair of them would have cost me another £50 (which I spent on fork seals, wheel bearings, rear brake pads, fork oil and spline lube instead!) so I stuck with my known knowns.

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurance write-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donor" K100LT 1990 (Red)  (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike).   June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

18Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Re: Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Fri May 02, 2014 3:53 am

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
Roads in Finland at spring have very rough tarmac since ice spikes on cars wear them. This might be one reason for heavy wear rate. I have ridden two springs with Actives.

19Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Re: Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Fri May 02, 2014 11:37 am

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
A 140/80-17 tyre is perfectly acceptable and legal on a K with the 2.75" width rear wheel. It says so on BMW literature (RSD), as well as on the tag under the seat on my late '86 K100RS, and we've been fitting these with success for many years now. The standard size, of course, being a 130/90-17. I've also used a 110/80-18 bias ply up front - running three spoke with radials now, but that's another story. The best fit for me and the roads I ride using bias or cross ply tyres are the Pirelli Sport Demons. They stick in the rain and the dry, they wear acceptably, and they handle exceptionally.

As the old tyre monger I knew used to say, "Sticks like glue, wears like iron!"

20Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Re: Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Fri May 02, 2014 1:39 pm

JGT

JGT
Platinum member
Platinum member
I always dread reading this very subjective issue as I have used Avon Road riders and the old road runners for the last 25 odd years with no problem. They never seem to get a mention. Great wear rate and don't white line when getting towards the end of their life, unlike Metzler and Continentals. I presume they are 'old school' but they suit me and have never given any trouble in all year riding.  John

21Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Re: Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Sat May 03, 2014 10:21 am

AJ.Valente

AJ.Valente
Life time member
Life time member
I've been running Avon radials for a month now and really appreciate the ride. Obviously we have different road surfaces to deal with here in the great northeast, and I don't ride in the rain when I can help it (gets the bike dirty!). But, having lived in Seattle for many a year I feel qualified to say that a switch to radials makes a world of difference in the old '85s. 

I'm sure you've seen the posting on skinny radials, for the record here it is again: https://www.k100-forum.com/t7472-skinny-radials

Radials really stick to the road better. We have a large number of freeze-cracked roads here, and bias ply's tend to hop or jump when going over them, making cornering very uncomfortable. But, radials absorb the small flaws in the road and provide greater stability even in cornering. No more clenching of the teeth when riding on rough roads. No more worrying about pot holes when riding at higher speeds either.

Last year I rode on Bridgestones, which were duo-compound tires. On the freeway and at speed I felt a bit disconnected from the road. When the tires were new the hard compound was well rounded to the point where I had to make a conscious effort to keep the bike on the straight and level. By the end of the year when the hard center had worn flat, the transition to cornering became noticeable--again bringing uncertainty.

Even though these radials are skinny I really like the "plant" while riding at speed. The bike feels extra stable and the suspension doesn't work as hard as before. Cornering feels slightly different in that the tires give gradually, providing constant feedback that is confidence-building. There's no slippage in the corners even whilst encountering a slight gravel patch (fairly common in some places around here).

There are a couple of varieties I've listed that should produce very good results on wet roads. The forum has already decided that radials will work on the older Y-spokes, just make sure  from specifications they'll fit your rim size (the table was constructed for the wider rear tri-spoke rims). I wouldn't worry too much about the cross-over aspect of several listings, a 90-10 or 80-20 is not a real off-road tire IMO. 

Some of these tires were made for the later BMW GS, etc., and I really think you can't go wrong with a new set of radials.

Last edited by AJ.Valente on Sun May 04, 2014 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

My old K100 RT Pics and Mods

22Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Re: Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Sat May 03, 2014 11:01 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
+1 on radial tires for any K bike.

Better handling and smoother ride.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

23Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Re: Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Mon May 05, 2014 3:54 am

Rabidchiwawa007

Rabidchiwawa007
Platinum member
Platinum member
PaulLipscomb wrote:
Rear: Remaining tread ~ 1.8 - 2mm                                          Front: Remaining tread ~ 2.5mm (another 2 - 3k miles?)
Rear tyre mileage 8000 miles (~12900km)                                Front tyre mileage 12215 miles (~19600km)

New rear tyre tread ~ 6mm                                                      New front tyre tread ~ 5.5mm

Damn, how do you do that?  I just replaced my rear tire that was showing a good amount of cord.  It had about 5,000 miles on it.  I believe it was a Metzler Z8 or something.  160/60-18. (1992 k100rs)

Anyways, I'm jealous.

24Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Re: Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Mon May 05, 2014 4:01 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have just put a new set of Michelin PR2s on my K1100 and got 22500 from the previous set.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

25Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Re: Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Mon May 05, 2014 4:44 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
My general rule of thumb has been 20,000km front and 12,000km rear.  I don't seem to vary from this much except for the dirt tyres (shorter) and the sidecar car tyres(much longer.

I remember a Michelin touring tyre(M66 ?) in the 80s that I tried on my XJ900, it went 23,000kms but would spin under power on most wet hills, it was truly horrible

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Tyres, tires and more bloody tires K-dogs10

26Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Re: Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Thu May 22, 2014 2:15 am

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
I have been talking to fellow riders and they believe that reason for the rapid wear of my Pilot Actives was too low pressures. These newer tyres seem to need 2,5 - 2,7 bar front and 2,9-3,0 bar rear. Will try that with next tyres.

(Edit: I had 2,3/2,6 bar).

27Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Re: Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Thu May 22, 2014 3:16 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have PR2s and have had to go to 2.7 and 3.0 to get good wear.

28Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Re: Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Tue May 27, 2014 9:37 am

k75RT Keith

k75RT Keith
Silver member
Silver member
Just bought from Motorcycle Superstore  a mis-Price on an  Avon AM26 Roadrider REAR Tire 140/70v-17  $11.87 Shipping included.  Price will hold until they correct it.
Yes, I realize the height is a 70 not an 80.  So the rear will sit a little lower and the speedo will be a few more mph off.

29Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Tue May 27, 2014 11:44 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
I've had  Sports Demons on for a while now, the back seems to wear out in the middle, I'm trying a little less air,front is scalloping so putting a bit more in. I was whingeing about lack of mileage, having to get a new rear. When I checked the books, I've done 15,000 on them both. Can't complain about that.
I am a renown pussycat rider.

30Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Re: Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Wed May 28, 2014 7:11 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Looking at a set of Shinko E705 dual sport tyres.

Will a 120/80/18 fit the front?

Just concerned about the width.

Can get a set for $275 so cheap enough that if they are crap then no real loss.

I have a spare set of wheels and will just swap them to the bike if I think a ride might include a bit of dirt.

rosskko

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

31Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Re: Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Wed May 28, 2014 8:36 pm

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
rosskko wrote:Looking at a set of Shinko E705 dual sport tyres.

Will a 120/80/18 fit the front?

Just concerned about the width.

Can get a set for $275 so cheap enough that if they are crap then no real loss.

I have a spare set of wheels and will just swap them to the bike if I think a ride might include a bit of dirt.

rosskko
Don't know about fit, but I think that Shinko was a Jap Yokahama brand or at least their technology. For $275 you can get a lot of k's. Euro brands are around $400-450 and for that much money you can get about 2 sets of rear and one of front in Shinkos! I think that you will be well in front. 

I general, the Net doesn't have bad things to say about them so it looks safe.

32Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Re: Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Wed May 28, 2014 9:04 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Have a look here. I get my tyres from them and the prices are great along with the service 4-5 days Utah to Stanthorpe Australia http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/d/12/Motorcycle-Tires

33Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Re: Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Thu May 29, 2014 12:16 am

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Continental have dropped their prices (in the US, at least) to Shinko-level so if you have a look round you might find you'll save some serious dosh. The Road Attack 2 and the bis ply tyres they offer are some of the most underrated. They're worth a look. I use 'em (Road Attack 2 radials) on my K100RS back home.

34Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Re: Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Thu May 29, 2014 4:00 am

Gaz

Gaz
Life time member
Life time member
ooohhh Rossko!  

Do I feel a rally coming on?

35Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Re: Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:11 am

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
Michelin Pilot Active front tyre lasted on my K100 about 10 000km. I think that is relatively poor result.

36Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Re: Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:42 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Most I ever got out of bias ply tyres on my K100 was around 8500km, 10K is fairly good.

37Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Re: Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:23 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Climate, road surface material [tar and chippings, tar without the chippings, asphalt, concrete], ride style and whether you ride all year makes a difference. Over here we have cold and wet in winter and not much ice so we can ride all year. If you ride all year best to ask someone who rides all year where you live.

From what I see there are 2 or 3 tyres that seem to come well recommended for winter riding in our type of climate. I ended up with the BT45 on my K and love them in the wet and have found they feel at their best then. I was negative about them at first but having tried them am slow to change. Been through a lot of bad tyre types over the years and feel confident with them. Sensitive to correct tyre pressure.

My son put BT45 on his now old bike too and said they looked so old fashioned but he loved them. He brought a 'new' bike home last weekend, a VFR800 Vtec and insisted on a new set of PR3 or 4. He didn't get a choice because when I looked at the 'good' tyres on it they were years past their use by date and he had ridden home on back roads in an hour. You could have fried an egg on them when he got here. Basically he was told the keys are staying put until the new tyres come.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

38Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Re: Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:13 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Oh dear - the OP certainly used the tin opener, didn't he? I'm in the Irish Avon RoadRider camp. Metzlers wear out far too quick (3000 miles per pair!!) and BT45s are now too expensive (Bridgestone want to get out of the big-bike crossply market and pushing the prices up is the only way they can do it - info from my tyre fitter). RoadRiders stick as well as the BT45s, are cheaper and I get better mileage out of them compared to the BT45s.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

39Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Re: Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:27 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
It would be interesting to see what we Eccentrics use because most if not all of us use the K all year. Us guys down here know that Comberjohn and Dai have better quality rad surfaces than we have but they sure clock up the k miles in all weathers.

Tyres have always been an emotive subject. Dai will remember the never ending debate between the Dunlop K70 Gold Seal, the Avon Roadrunner and the TT100. The only consensus was the Dunlop was rubbish. It came off the production line as a SQUARE tyre.... Back then BMWs didn't count. The K hadn't been invented and the rest came with Metzelers me thinks.

An idea for CF.....a poll on what tyres we use?

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

40Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Re: Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:27 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
I got 10,000klm from my last Metzler Lasertec which I thought was OK but I wasn't happy with the performance. The BT45 on the front became badly scolloped with about 30% left and developed a very bad wobble going into a hard corner. I ditched it for a BT023 and put an Avon azaro on the back. Great combo. Azaro is at about 40-45% now with 5,000klm. If I can eek 10,000 out of it I'll be happy.
The BT023 and the Azaro I ordered from rockymountainatvmc.com

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

41Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Re: Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Thu May 12, 2016 9:08 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
I was just reading through new product info and came across a new Metzeler tyre that's just available. They're called Sportec Klassik (Nuh, I didn't insert the end or beginning K) and are available in 100/90V18 or 110/80V18 for the front, and 130/90V17 or 140/80V17 for out back. Prices range from $187 front to $215 rear, at retail, but who pays that anymore!? Of course, online from the non-brick & mortar stores they'll likely be far less dosh. The jury's still out on what sort of mileage they'll get and how they'll handle, but possibly worth a go for those who wish to experiment.

Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Sporte10

42Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Re: Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Fri May 13, 2016 3:38 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
These sizes are good for the K!

I use 110/90 on front and 140/80 rear but am still on Bridgestone BT45 as I have found them great for all year riding in what can be cold wet winter riding. I will happily take the K for a round day trip to Dublin [for me its 560km, 250km motorway each way plus a bit] even in heavy rain when maybe more sane people would park it and take the Kar but taking the bike allows me to use bus lanes and park under cover in an hour less travel time.

Both Ks came with Lasertec on them which were not out of date but they were like riding on cold grease in winter and no matter what I could never feel confidence on them.

KH mentioned the scalloping and I too had that but interestingly it hasn't happened on every BT45 I have had. One in particular and I now have a suspicion that it's not happening because I am running the front a little harder, about 38psi and feels very good. Either that or a slight change in manufacturing.

Other Eccentrics are using different tyres in our climate here and also finding them good so your own K and riding style can have an impact on what works for you.

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

43Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Re: Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Fri May 13, 2016 6:01 pm

Snod Blatter

Snod Blatter
Life time member
Life time member
To hijack this thread somewhat and add even more confusion, I have been reading that the 3.00-17 three spoke rear wheel can take a 150/70-17 tyre which opens up a whole new world of fancy radials. But looking at mine, the 130/90 is already very close to hitting the (1100) centre stand. But the 150/70 isn't as tall.. Can anyone confirm this really fits?

44Back to top Go down   Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Empty Re: Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Fri May 13, 2016 8:04 pm

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:

KH mentioned the scalloping and I too had that but interestingly it hasn't happened on every BT45 I have had. One in particular and I now have a suspicion that it's not happening because I am running the front a little harder, about 38psi and feels very good. Either that or a slight change in manufacturing.
Hey Olaf. I think your suspicionnis right. Lower tyre pressures will cause scalloping in most tyres particularly bias plys due to flexing of the carcass placing greater stress on the leading edge of the tread pattern blocks. It's not just uneven wear. It's accelerated wear on that part of the tyre resulting in the tyre wearing out more quickly.

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Tyres, tires and more bloody tires Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum