BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   How many GeeGee's has your K got? Empty How many GeeGee's has your K got? Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:27 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Guys,

Has anyone dyno'd their older, (maybe higher mileage) 'K' to see how much of the orginal horse power remains? I'm just curious - I'm sure there are lots of variables beyond mileage but any dyno results or thoughts on the matter would be interesting to hear Very Happy.

Cheers
Dave

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
Dave,

I'm seriously considering a visit to Hilltop Motorcycles in Leicester. There's much excitement among 1200GS owners regarding the claimed increase in performance and reduction in fuel use.

The talk is that in standard form, BMW have set-up the ECU to meet emission targets and that Hilltop can plug-in to re-map it.

Some prodigious increases in bhp and torque are being claimed on the Dyno. Most owners who have gone this route report a much smoother engine besides the claimed power improvement.

They should be able to do the same for any Motronic equipped bikes.

http://www.hilltopmotorcycles.com/

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Mike

Nice one Mike, you're a braver man than I! If my engine is producing 100HP or thereabouts that'll do. I know 90K miles isn't huge mies but seems enough to command a bit of respect for it's wear/age - and to be honest I don't need any more. Have you made the trip to Hillside yet? Be really interesting to hear any news.

Cheers
Dave

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
No, not yet Dave. I need to speak to them first to see whether they think that they can do anything for these older machines.

My K1, now with a Harman chip and the throttle bodies balanced, is a lot nicer than it was a month ago. It's much smoother at higher rpm and I'm now inclined to use the revs and the intermediate gears more.

I still need to get the exhaust gasses checked and if necessary, tweaked - I'm worried, having found that the by-pass screws were so far out and the TB adjusters had been moved, that someone looked at the CO adjuster screw and has given that a few turns as well.

It's always a possibility with second-hand bikes and I'm particularly concerned about mine it having been owned by "an engineer" at some stage, one who had "heard stories about F-D failures" and bought a new, complete F-D for 1500 Euro when all he needed for peace of mind was a spare bearing and seal for about 30 quid!

Still, it allowed me to fit a nice new one with no marks in the powder coat.

How many GeeGee's has your K got? K1%20BMW%20%28156%29-L

Very Happy

5Back to top Go down   How many GeeGee's has your K got? Empty Re: How many GeeGee's has your K got? Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:02 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I know I am doing a hijack but it is sort of relevant to the thread
We were talking some time ago on the Motobrick forum about final drive failure on the paralever rear ends and each time I have seen or been told about the rear ini failure it has happened after the init has been lubed, within 2-4thousand ks.
My opinion on that is that the rear uni joint has not been seated correctly by pushing past the internal circlip as you do with the front uni on the monolever. If it is not pushed home then the joint can slide up the shaft till it almost comes of but it wont come off but will get very sloppy on the shaft and wobble around out of ballance and destroy it self. Several people I have talked to about the problem didn't know that the back uni needed to be pushed home like that and only put it on the shaft without pushing it past the circlip.
Has anyone here experienced this problem.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
I guess it would depend on what failed: The splines or the bearing?

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The spline rarely fails on a paralever but the rear uni fails for unknown reasons. They just suddenly let go and often destroy the swinging arm and the drive housing. I was wondering if anyone had similar experiences with the paralevers.
I have repaired 2 in the last 4 years and the local bike shop has done one recently. The shafts and housings are bent and battered and sometimes the rider but there has been no sign of dry splines or uni or bearings.
On both I did the shafts were destroyed so I pulled the uni apart and the needle rollers were spot on.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
Incorrect phasing of the U/Js? The later Paralever bikes had an indexed spline at the FD end to ensure correct phasing.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I know about the phasing and both I fixed were right. The rear uni was actually of the spline and had thrashed around inside the housing but was still on the spline of the shafts and in the correct alignment. The only thing I can think of is that the rear section wasn't seated home properly.
I thought of asking because of not finding out why it had happened.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum