BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   engine oil, is 10/40 ok? UK Empty engine oil, is 10/40 ok? UK Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:28 pm

Ruddiger

Ruddiger
Im sure this has been asked a number of times but i have searched and find mainly people saying 15/50 or 20/50, which is fairly standard in the states and other hotter climates,

I have drained all the oils and am topping up now so just wondering if anybody would know if 10/40 will be sufficiant for the engine in the UK?

Cheers Smile

2Back to top Go down   engine oil, is 10/40 ok? UK Empty What I use Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:25 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
I use Castrol "T4" oil because it is thought to have a better level of Zinc which is called for on the K engine.
I use 10W40 weight. I would think it is appropriate in most any climate. I am in a hot weather area, Phoenix, AZ.

You will find as many different opinions on the best oils for K's as there are days in a decade! Seems like everyone has their own ideas about this.

As a side note: a lot of people think synthetic oil is the only way to go. I personally believe that modern petroleum oils are so good, that synthetics are just not warranted for the extra money.

I do have a different point of view however on Gear oils where Synthetics are superior.

Just my opinion.

3Back to top Go down   engine oil, is 10/40 ok? UK Empty Re: engine oil, is 10/40 ok? UK Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:51 pm

Not sure if T4 is available in the UK. I use 5/40 in mine and I am in the south of France.
A full synthetic will resist any problems with much higher temperatures than a mineral will and over here it costs very little.
Don't let anyone tell you that the K was designed to use an old fashioned 20/50 mineral as it was not. Two bits of metal rubbing together are the same in a brand new BMW as they were 25 years ago, it is just the oil technology that has changed. I don't know of any engine that was designed to suit the oil that was available at the time it was built.

4Back to top Go down   engine oil, is 10/40 ok? UK Empty Well Ok Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:43 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Well, Ok Bikerboy.

Some popular opinion shows that newer oils (Grade SJ and above) were formulated with considerably less Zinc than the oils that were in existence when the K100 was designed.
I am not an oil engineer, but I was of the belief that after the introduction of SJ & newer formula specs in oils that BMW recommended using only oil that did not meet the SJ requirements because they did not contain as much zinc as BMW believed was best for this design.
It is true that synthetics can withstand higher temperature without deteriorating than petroleum based oils, however the type of service that water cooled automotive engines run in never come close to approaching the temps that severe. I am glad you buy synthetics at a competitive price where you live. Here in the USA, they are generally twice to three times the cost of conventional oil. Great protection, just un-necessary.
Also, I would not recommend using 5w anything in an engine of this vintage as it was not built with the tight clearances of the modern day emissions requirement mills.
I think that 5W's and 0w's multi vis's would probably only be appropriate for engines designed after about 2005.

We cold talk about this forever and no two folks will ever agree fully on the subject.

Mine is just an additional point of view, not an engineering study.

Regards, Ibj...

5Back to top Go down   engine oil, is 10/40 ok? UK Empty Re: engine oil, is 10/40 ok? UK Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:21 pm

We all have opinions and it is not for me to correct anyone else because my opinion differs.
A couple of points though. The Synthetic that I use is indeed API SL which is higher than SJ, but without seeing antything in writing I would doubt that BMW has said this. This is down to my Aircraft engineering background and that has taught me to believe nothing until you see the official instruction in writing.
The 5W part of the oil is only the viscosity when it is cold and that is actually thicker than the 40 or 50 number when it is hot believe it or not. What a 5 W does for you that a 15 or 20 does not, is circulates around the engine much quicker at start up. By the time I have ridden half a mile then it will be warm enough to be a 40. Most people know that the most wear in an engine happens at start up.
The maximum oil temperature tolerance of watercooled engines can easily happen in modern vehicles. My 1981 Golf GTI had an oil temperature gauge that showed a maximum of 120c, but mineral oils were all that was available then, and I did get close to that temperature many times. My aircraft uses a watercooled 100hp Rotax 912s and I have to use synthetic in that as that too gets to more than the safe maximum for a mineral oil. If you have an oil temperature gauge on a bile then it may show that the oil is only at 115c at the sensor tip, but I would bet that in some parts of the engine it is much higher than that, and way beyond the limit.
This is all my opinion based on my training and experiences, so it is not meant as a dig at anyone else.

6Back to top Go down   engine oil, is 10/40 ok? UK Empty more info Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:41 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Although the Hemming's motor news is not an engineering authority, this article sheds some more light on the subject.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2012/10/18/tech-101-zinc-in-oil-and-its-effects-on-older-engines/

7Back to top Go down   engine oil, is 10/40 ok? UK Empty If Aircraft... Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:45 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
If aircraft were intended to have horizontally opposed piston engines........Pratt & Whitney would have built them that way!........LOL

8Back to top Go down   engine oil, is 10/40 ok? UK Empty FYI BMW Bulletin Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:52 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member

9Back to top Go down   engine oil, is 10/40 ok? UK Empty Re: engine oil, is 10/40 ok? UK Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:49 pm

ibjman wrote:If aircraft were intended to have horizontally opposed piston engines........Pratt & Whitney would have built them that way!........LOL

P & W? Don't forget that the Jet engine was a British invention. :-)

10Back to top Go down   engine oil, is 10/40 ok? UK Empty Re: engine oil, is 10/40 ok? UK Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:52 pm

Thanks for the sight of the service bulletin, there is no way that I can argue with that. I do wonder why it has "For USA Only" on the top. The only difference between US and Euro models is the cat and other emission equipment as far as I know.

11Back to top Go down   engine oil, is 10/40 ok? UK Empty IDK Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:03 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
I believe this was before motorcycles had cats????

12Back to top Go down   engine oil, is 10/40 ok? UK Empty Re: engine oil, is 10/40 ok? UK Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:14 pm

SB is dated 1998 and I think that the K1100s had cats fitted. My K100 16v has not, but it is a UK model. I note that the SB is signed by the US after sales manager, and being marked USA only then it must be fine for us in Euroland to use any oil SJ or above.
At the end of the day, by using my 5W40 synthetic API SL, I know that I will not be able to claim on the warranty in the US, (if I am ever there again) on my 22 year old bike. I don't think I will worry too much.

13Back to top Go down   engine oil, is 10/40 ok? UK Empty Re: engine oil, is 10/40 ok? UK Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:30 pm

krambo

krambo
Life time member
Life time member
I have always used mineral based 15/40 in both my K's and it seems to give good performance and reasonable longevity.

14Back to top Go down   engine oil, is 10/40 ok? UK Empty The short answer Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:56 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
The short answer to the original question? = Yes.

15Back to top Go down   engine oil, is 10/40 ok? UK Empty Re: engine oil, is 10/40 ok? UK Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:49 pm

klompy the grey brick

klompy the grey brick
VIP
VIP
interesting game of literary tennis there chaps....my opinion ....just change whatever oil you use regularly....if its really cheap and meets the standards its just as good as the really expensive stuff that meets the same standards......one thing I can say is that high detergent oils such as those designed for diesels but able to be used by petrol engines keep the engine and starter very clean.....which is a double edged sword when considering a high mileage( I know its mostly kilometres but kilometreage sounds ridiculous) engine which if run exclusively on mineral oils will now most likely leak and rattle.

happy riding all.....

Chassis number0019026
Vehicle code0503
SeriesK589
ModelK 100 RS 83 (0502 ( 0503 )
Body typeK 100 RS 83 (0502
Catalog modelECE
Production date1984 / 07
Engine0513)

engine oil, is 10/40 ok? UK Au-log10

16Back to top Go down   engine oil, is 10/40 ok? UK Empty Re: engine oil, is 10/40 ok? UK Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:32 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
On ya Klompy.

+1

Pick and oil you think is right for your climate and stick to it.

Change the oil and filter often.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

17Back to top Go down   engine oil, is 10/40 ok? UK Empty Re: engine oil, is 10/40 ok? UK Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:03 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
indeed klompy .....wise words cheers !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

18Back to top Go down   engine oil, is 10/40 ok? UK Empty Re: engine oil, is 10/40 ok? UK Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:50 am

Ruddiger

Ruddiger
Cool 10/40 it is!
Thanks for the help and the useful information Wink

19Back to top Go down   engine oil, is 10/40 ok? UK Empty Re: engine oil, is 10/40 ok? UK Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:13 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Any oil is better than no oil!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum