BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Fork Sliders  Empty Fork Sliders Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:21 am

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Probably appropriate for either 75 or 100 but specifically I'm dealing with a K75. I've got a little click (felt rather than heard) sometimes when I hit the front brakes. I first thought it was the head needing to be tightened. But I've tightened it down enough that I'm worried that I'll brinnel the head bearings which have less than 5K miles on them. I've checked the other bolts on the front end and everything "seems" to be done up properly. So now I'm thinking fork tube sliders? (inner tube, part 3 in this diagram)

Fork Sliders  B0000609
Now the bike and the part have 147,000 miles so wear is not unexpected. But is replacement the only option? Are there renewable parts for such an affliction? The fork seals are holding and I can probably live with the click for the moment any way. No way I'm messing with them before finishing the Range of Light Gypsy tour this weekend.

But any suggestions of what to look for or other options to look at?
thanks
J.

2Back to top Go down   Fork Sliders  Empty Re: Fork Sliders Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:25 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Check out the pads and calipers I have seen them making noises like that.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Fork Sliders  Empty Re: Fork Sliders Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:29 am

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
I'd look at the brakes first. The locating pins and the corresponding holes in the pads can wear and become oval which allows the pad to move when the brakes are applied.

Edit: Not quick enough!

4Back to top Go down   Fork Sliders  Empty Re: Fork Sliders Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:21 am

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks guys, will check the brakes before I do anything drastic. Still did feel like the headstock. But brakes are so much more readily fixable.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum