BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Gear shifts Empty Gear shifts Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:04 am

sudhirjin

sudhirjin
I find it hard to shift gears at traffic signals! the gear indicator in the instrument cluster goes blank and i cant either put it into lower gear or higher! i have to move the bike forward and back a bit to put into gear again. What seems to be the prob? Please help.

2Back to top Go down   Gear shifts Empty Re: Gear shifts Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:46 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Sounds like the clutch is not disengaging properly.
First check that the cable is adjusted as per the manual and not just it seems to be OK. We have found that the mechanism will give trouble if it isn't just right.
It may be that the gearbox input shaft that the clutch rides on is dry of any lubrication which will again make the clutch bind a bit.
Or if the clutch has been overheated the plates could be warped a bit in which case it will need to be replaced.
Usually a dry front shaft also caused very clunky down shifts and the lower the gear the more clunk.

Removing the gearbox to fix the clutch is  usually a one day job for me, you can take advantage of doing that to do some other maintenance as well.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Gear shifts Empty Re: Gear shifts Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:23 pm

sudhirjin

sudhirjin
Thank You! Seems like a lot of work ahead! any way i will check by adjusting the clutch!

4Back to top Go down   Gear shifts Empty Re: Gear shifts Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:01 am

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
Looking back at your intro post I see that this is probably your first two-wheeled BMW.

Before ripping things apart, you should know that the gearbox and dry clutch arrangement used until very recently by BMW has a few idiosyncrasies. 

One of them is that they often baulk at going into neutral or first if you come to a standstill in second gear. Sometimes the result is a 'solid' pedal, often it's a false neutral (with a blank gear indicator window as a result).

As you've discovered, just rolling the bike a little will often solve the problem. Sometimes partial clutch engagement will "free up" the pedal. The way to avoid the problem altogether is to select neutral or first gear before you bring the bike to a full stop. Most people have become so used to doing this that they don't even realise that they do it anymore.

There's a long article about why this (among other things) happens with these gearboxes but I can't find it at the moment.

Mike.

5Back to top Go down   Gear shifts Empty Re: Gear shifts Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:03 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Good point Mikep its second nature to me to be in neutral as I stop

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum