BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

51Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Tue 11 Feb 2014, 03:24

Rick G

admin
admin
The oil used in car engines is just fine

52Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Tue 11 Feb 2014, 03:43

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Frequent oil changes are also important. I work on basis of twice a year which seems fine. As in most cases if you are doing longer trips you can extend the interval but I find it easier to stick with a routine. If you do shorter trips twice a year also covers you. A lot of oils will allow an annual change but you need to watch for condensation etc inside the engine so regular is best. I am sure a few of us have Ks that have at some time sat for years with the same oil and are now running fine....

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

53Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Tue 11 Feb 2014, 04:16

In my opinion twice a year is way over the top. Back in the '80s BMW said change every 6,000 miles, that was good on the old spec oils that were around then. These days, 30 years later, we use much better oils that can go much higher mileages without change. The reason for changing an oil in the old days was that the additive package would break down after a certain amount of use.
The hardest engine for pounding the oil is a diesel, and even modern BMW car diesels go for 35,000 miles these days. Modern diesel trucks get synthetic oils that do not need changing for 100,000 miles!

54Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Tue 11 Feb 2014, 04:48

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
I do agree with the twice a year over the top, but I do well over 25,000 miles [40,000km] a year. Constant running at operating temperature is much easier on an engine than stop start driving but I still wont go to a yearly one. The car has 172k miles, does not use any oil and on the recent emissions smoke test returned .25ppm where the limit is 3ppm. Not bad for a 19 year old engine. My Merc at the same mileage was up to 2.25ppm running on synthetic at extended intervals and was heading for an emissions failure. Both diesel.

In last 6 months I only put 1,000 miles on the car so its all going on the K. It regularly does same day round trips to Dublin, 500km of motorway riding, something it is perfect for and often done at 5-6000rpm. The fully synthetic oils last better and are designed for long intervals, at ever 6 months it seems to be ok to use semi synthetic. Most of us seem to be able to tell the feel of an engine changes when it gets fresh oil.

A day spent every 6 months looking over everything and adding an oil change keeps you out of trouble and it doesn't have to be a too rigid timescale. The cost of doing two is small if you are doing them yourself and for most of us its a pleasant task and not a chore.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

55Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Tue 11 Feb 2014, 14:03

GeorgeDaBikie

GeorgeDaBikie
But the oil filter is same as quite a few cars [BMW and other makes] and can be bought cheaper. But, when you buy the filter for the K it comes with the o ring seal for the filter cover.

Ok thanks for that. good point about the o ring but I think I can reuse one a couple of times

56Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Tue 11 Feb 2014, 14:57

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Oilfilter, o-ring and crush washer      11 00 2 300 053
Only oilfilter w/o o-ring & washer      11 42 1 460 845

57Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Tue 11 Feb 2014, 15:39

Kyle10

Kyle10
Life time member
Life time member
bikerboy wrote:Can you explain why you think diesel oil should be better than petrol oil?

Modern oils have undergone major changes vis a vis EPA and EU regulations. Specifically, the increasing of levels of detergents and the decreasing of levels of zinc (Zinc DiakylDithioPhosphates). The two ingredients are at odds with one another: zinc builds that crucial protective film that prevents metal-to-metal contact, while detergents work to remove said protective film.

Diesel oils maintain a high level of zinc while having far less levels of detergents, hence it's use among many motorists (bike, auto, truck) for high levels of consistent lubrication. It is safe - completely - in non-diesel engines (providing it's weight/viscosity compatible). In fact, it's superior to most mineral-based high detergent motor oils.

Read more http://www.drivenracingoil.com/news/dro/training-center/articles/zinc-in-motor-oil/  (no professional affiliation with this company)

58Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Tue 11 Feb 2014, 16:22

klamityboy

klamityboy
Gold member
Gold member
Ahh the good old which is the best engine oil post. Must be spring approaching where the snowbound rider starts thinking of riding their K. A buddy chimed in on another board to the effect, if you change your oil frequently enough you do need to worry as much about what type you use. Flippant perhaps but good perspective on this perennial debate. My $0.02 is change once per year and use good quality dino-oil (of course I am not doing nearly the annual mileage that some on this forum are). Others will differ in their preferences. The one thing I do know is it is better to change the oil and put in fresh dino or synthetic than to do nothing.

Last edited by klamityboy on Tue 11 Feb 2014, 16:56; edited 1 time in total

Model Description: K 75RT
Market: Europe
Type: 0565
E-Code: K569
Engine: 3_ZYL - 0,70l (55kW)
Transmission: Manual
Body Color: Polizeiweiss
Production Date: 30.08.1990

59Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Tue 11 Feb 2014, 16:32

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Kyle10 thanks, I was going to use diesel oil to ensure the gum in my engine was removed by the extra level of detergent in the diesel oil, and now this wiki site data shows it may not work as I had believed, having less detergent rather than more. A best practice always Klamityboy, is to do just that, more over long rides are also best practice, as the short ones tend to dirty up the oil with condensation etc. I still want to degum my engine though

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

60Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Tue 11 Feb 2014, 17:19

Kyle10

Kyle10
Life time member
Life time member
K75cster wrote:Kyle10 thanks, I was going to use diesel oil to ensure the gum in my engine was removed by the extra level of detergent in the diesel oil, and now this wiki site data shows it may not work as I had believed, having less detergent rather than more. A best practice always Klamityboy, is to do just that, more over long rides are also best practice, as the short ones tend to dirty up the oil with condensation etc. I still want to degum my engine though

You're welcome. An excellent cleaner for your oil passageways and 'top end' is to add a quart of quality ATF (be a quart low before adding) and let your engine idle for 10-15 minutes. Don't ride, just let it idle and give it a mild rev every two/three minutes.

When completed, drain oil and change filter.

I work for an engine manufacturer; this is a safe and effective way to 'de-gum' your engine. Far, far better than the 'motor flush' stuff auto parts stores offer. Never, ever use that stuff as they sometimes are too solvent-heavy and can remove the hard-earned and beneficial protective layers in the piston/cylinder, camshaft journal, bearings that you want to keep intact.

61Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Tue 11 Feb 2014, 17:45

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Ok that will be easy to do, thanks

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

62Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Tue 11 Feb 2014, 20:20

k-rider

k-rider
Life time member
Life time member
Kyle10 wrote:
K75cster wrote:Kyle10 thanks, I was going to use diesel oil to ensure the gum in my engine was removed by the extra level of detergent in the diesel oil, and now this wiki site data shows it may not work as I had believed, having less detergent rather than more. A best practice always Klamityboy, is to do just that, more over long rides are also best practice, as the short ones tend to dirty up the oil with condensation etc. I still want to degum my engine though

You're welcome. An excellent cleaner for your oil passageways and 'top end' is to add a quart of quality ATF (be a quart low before adding) and let your engine idle for 10-15 minutes. Don't ride, just let it idle and give it a mild rev every two/three minutes.

When completed, drain oil and change filter.

I work for an engine manufacturer; this is a safe and effective way to 'de-gum' your engine. Far, far better than the 'motor flush' stuff auto parts stores offer. Never, ever use that stuff as they sometimes are too solvent-heavy and can remove the hard-earned and beneficial protective layers in the piston/cylinder, camshaft journal, bearings that you want to keep intact.
What is 'ATF'  ?

K-rider

63Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Tue 11 Feb 2014, 20:38

Toto_jp

Platinum member
Platinum member
ATF= automatic transmission fluid  Smile

64Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Tue 11 Feb 2014, 23:11

k-rider

k-rider
Life time member
Life time member
Really?  

K-rider

65Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Wed 12 Feb 2014, 02:01

"add a quart of quality ATF (be a quart low before adding) and let your engine idle for 10-15 minutes."

You will never get BMW to tell you that you can use ATF (or even diesel oil) in the bike. The thing that BMW will tell you never to do is to start the bike up and let it idle!

The latest EU spec for Diesel oil is a C2 or C3 full synthetic that is a 5W30 viscosity. You want to use that in your bike?

66Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Wed 12 Feb 2014, 08:21

Kyle10

Kyle10
Life time member
Life time member
bikerboy wrote:"add a quart of quality ATF (be a quart low before adding) and let your engine idle for 10-15 minutes."

You will never get BMW to tell you that you can use ATF (or even diesel oil) in the bike. The thing that BMW will tell you never to do is to start the bike up and let it idle!

The latest EU spec for Diesel oil is a C2 or C3 full synthetic that is a 5W30 viscosity. You want to use that in your bike?

I don't need the hallowed 'okay' from BMW; the K-bike's engine is basically a car engine (in fact, originally a Peugeot car engine). It features a separate engine/transmission with no shared oil.

Diesel oil's main difference from standard oils is the low detergent levels and higher zinc content. It is a superior oil in most applications, especially on higher mileage engines.

As for ATF it is a well known and well used engine cleaner; gentle, thorough and, unlike high-solvent cleaners/flushing additives it leaves the crucial, protective zinc layering intact.

People often confuse oil touted as 'high detergent' as an ersatz engine cleaner. It is, but in a way that removes from your engine the very ingredients that keeps an engine protected.

67Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Wed 12 Feb 2014, 08:46

Kyle, You are correct in that you don't need BMWs blessing to do anything you want with your own bike, but when advising others it is a different matter. No one is saying use bike specific oil, so the reference to a car engine is nothing to do with matters. But, I would like to know which French car engine that revs to 9000 rpm they used in this German bike.
What is important is that I can look at the shelves of oil that are for sale and in Europe, where the majority of cars are diesel, they offer Petrol or Diesel oil in equal amounts. They are made by Esso, BP, Total, Shell and about 10 other manufacturers. So about 15 different manufactures of oil are telling me that there is petrol and diesel oil and they are not the same, I would never tell them that they are all wrong and I am going to use Diesel oil in my petrol engine or the other way around.

68Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Wed 12 Feb 2014, 09:04

Kyle10

Kyle10
Life time member
Life time member
bikerboy wrote:Kyle, You are correct in that you don't need BMWs blessing to do anything you want with your own bike, but when advising others it is a different matter. No one is saying use bike specific oil, so the reference to a car engine is nothing to do with matters. But, I would like to know which French car engine that revs to 9000 rpm they used in this German bike.
What is important is that I can look at the shelves of oil that are for sale and in Europe, where the majority of cars are diesel, they offer Petrol or Diesel oil in equal amounts. They are made by Esso, BP, Total, Shell and about 10 other manufacturers. So about 15 different manufactures of oil are telling me that there is petrol and diesel oil and they are not the same, I would never tell them that they are all wrong and I am going to use Diesel oil in my petrol engine or the other way around.

Here's some interesting reading, bikerboy:

https://bmwmcmag.com/2013/08/happy-30th-birthday-k-series/
http://hrsbstaff.ednet.ns.ca/bvogel/K100/birth-of-the-k100.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_K100
http://www.flyingbrick.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=54&lang=en

I'm not sure what you are trying to convey in your second paragraph, respectfully. And, yes, petrol and diesel oils are different. I believe I've been pointing that out (and how they differ mainly). Moreover, I'm telling no one "they are all wrong."

I sympathize with your seeming level of confusion and, likewise, your trepidations. I've been in the engine manufacturing business for over eighteen years, so maybe you could afford me a modicum of credit due to professional training and experience. What I have written regarding diesel vs. petrol oils and the uses of ATF as an engine flush are tried, true and sound advice. Prove me otherwise, if you wish.

Do as you please with your beloved bike, by all means. I know I do and as well anyone reading these words, likely.  Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 112350

69Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Wed 12 Feb 2014, 09:47

Interesting links, but they all point out the fact that a Peugeot 104 engine was used to test the prototype, but an in house engine was used in the bike. Living in the land of Peugeot I can assure you that there is not and never was a car fitted with an engine that has anything in common with the 2v K engine.
I will not continue with any challenges about how clever you think you are or how clever I may be, because status does not matter one jot to me. Rest assured that I have spent my lifetime doing some very technical things for many years and still spend much of my time helping others with things that they do not understand.

70Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Wed 12 Feb 2014, 09:57

klamityboy

klamityboy
Gold member
Gold member
Whoa. "What is the best oil" thread turns into a flame war (albeit a small one). I am sure that has never happened before!  Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 652573

Last edited by klamityboy on Wed 12 Feb 2014, 10:44; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)

71Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Wed 12 Feb 2014, 10:13

Kyle10

Kyle10
Life time member
Life time member
bikerboy wrote:Interesting links, but they all point out the fact that a Peugeot 104 engine was used to test the prototype, but an in house engine was used in the bike. Living in the land of Peugeot I can assure you that there is not and never was a car fitted with an engine that has anything in common with the 2v K engine.
I will not continue with any challenges about how clever you think you are or how clever I may be, because status does not matter one jot to me. Rest assured that I have spent my lifetime doing some very technical things for many years and still spend much of my time helping others with things that they do not understand.

Well then, that helps me.
In fact, the 2v K engine is very much like an automobile engine. Possibly more than any other engine applied for duty in a motorcycle.

72Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Wed 12 Feb 2014, 14:46

k75RT Keith

k75RT Keith
Silver member
Silver member
Personally, I think using oil is a good idea.  Engines don't seem to run all that well without it.  How often you change it is really just a matter of choice and should be based more on how you use your vehicle and the mileage one accumulates over that set period of time.

73Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Wed 12 Feb 2014, 20:25

k-rider

k-rider
Life time member
Life time member
k75RT Keith wrote:Personally, I think using oil is a good idea.  Engines don't seem to run all that well without it.  How often you change it is really just a matter of choice and should be based more on how you use your vehicle and the mileage one accumulates over that set period of time.
+1

k-rider

74Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Wed 12 Feb 2014, 21:22

klamityboy

klamityboy
Gold member
Gold member
k75RT Keith wrote:Personally, I think using oil is a good idea.  Engines don't seem to run all that well without it.  How often you change it is really just a matter of choice and should be based more on how you use your vehicle and the mileage one accumulates over that set period of time.
Lol Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 44271

75Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 00:33

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
Do you change the oil filter on every oil change? I have about 6500km on odo and planning to change the oil at 10 000km, but still not sure if I would change the filter now, or at 20 000km.

76Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 01:32

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Changing your filter when you change your oil is a good practice. Kyle10 I was going to use diesel oil to flush my engine as I thought it only dealt with the gum left over. However what would happen if the engine seemed alittle noisey or high milaged, would the diesel oil;s extra zinc help stave off its untimely end? I've got 230k km's on mine and am just wondering if  it might be prudent to switch over some time later on when she gets alittle tired.

77Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 02:12

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
BMW did in fact go back to an old engine! But not a Peugeot!

The top end of the K engine 8v or 16v is used as a twin cam conversion on the Mini. You need to watch The Italian Job with Michaell Caine to see what these are. Motorworks sell the kits. Obviously the engine bores and crankshafts are at same centres. BMW own Mini!!

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

78Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 02:32

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
92KK K100LT 193214 wrote:BMW did in fact go back to an old engine! But not a Peugeot!

The top end of the K engine 8v or 16v is used as a twin cam conversion on the Mini. You need to watch The Italian Job with Michaell Caine to see what these are. Motorworks sell the kits. Obviously the engine bores and crankshafts are at same centres. BMW own Mini!!
But they had bugger all to with the Mini all that way back.  The bore spacing is just a coincidence.

There is a K100 cyl head converted Mini engine for sale on eBay Oz at the moment.  Fresh built, 1320cc odd, injection computer and wiring, all on a reconditioned gearbox for $5000, not bad value if you were building a Mini.

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 K-dogs10

79Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 07:04

The Mini engine that the K100 head can be fitted to is known as a British Leyland A series engine. It can be traced back to the Morris Minor in the late 1940s. The Mini that is made now does not have anything at all to do with the old BL Mini apart from the fact that they were both made at Cowley in Oxford. Even the factory is a different one on the same site.
Strange that you mention the A series engine as it had the gearbox in the sump running on standard engine oil, just like most Jap bikes.

80Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 07:21

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Did I once read about a mad bastard who swore the old oil from the fish 'n' chippy was the best...something about the potato particles...even better after a busy Saturday night.

Wink

81Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 07:29

Two Wheels Better wrote:Did I once read about a mad bastard who swore the old oil from the fish 'n' chippy was the best...something about the potato particles...even better after a busy Saturday night.

Wink
Put it through a filter and tip it into your diesel fuel. It runs okay up to about a 50/50 mix - stinks a bit though.

82Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 07:42

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Who knew this lowly bundle could be the saviour of the free world?

Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Fishnc10

83Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 09:01

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
bikerboy wrote:The Mini engine that the K100 head can be fitted to is known as a British Leyland A series engine. It can be traced back to the Morris Minor in the late 1940s. The Mini that is made now does not have anything at all to do with the old BL Mini apart from the fact that they were both made at Cowley in Oxford. Even the factory is a different one on the same site.
Strange that you mention the A series engine as it had the gearbox in the sump running on standard engine oil, just like most Jap bikes.

The only conclusion I came to was that BMW had access to the old archives and blueprints. That old A series engine was there long before BMW went near Mini. It was very compact and its quite possible someone in BMW wondered could it be turned on its side. The Mini was a small car with awesome roadholding but there would have been few petrol heads at that time the K was developed who would not have loved it or lusted after the sportier ones. The Peugeot engine was only used to test the idea of the K and that was the end of it.

The K engines durability and performance is well ahead of what most car manufacturers could wish for.

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

84Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 09:31

JGT

JGT
Platinum member
Platinum member
Years ago I had An FSO (Polish Fiat) And ran that on used cooking oil in the sump, yes the sump, believe it or not it never gave any trouble. Ignorance is bliss. John

85Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 09:56

k-rider

k-rider
Life time member
Life time member
k100virgin wrote:Years ago I had An FSO (Polish Fiat) And ran that on used cooking oil in the sump, yes the sump, believe it or not it never gave any trouble. Ignorance is bliss. John
Did you remove the deep fried shrimps or did you leave that to the oil filter lol! 
k-rider

86Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 11:04

tgolden

tgolden
Silver member
Silver member
Back when my '85 K100RS was still under warranty, a BMW service tech told me that the best thing I could do for my bike was to change the oil and filter every 2000 miles. I thought that was a little excessive. I've always changed both the filter and oil every 3000 miles. It was always easy to monitor the odometer for the 3k intervals. I've always used Castrol 20W-50. I plan to switch to Mobil 1 for my next oil change.

87Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 11:17

Kyle10

Kyle10
Life time member
Life time member
K75cster wrote:Changing your filter when you change your oil is a good practice. Kyle10 I was going to use diesel oil to flush my engine as I thought it only dealt with the gum left over. However what would happen if the engine seemed alittle noisey or high milaged, would the diesel oil;s extra zinc help stave off its untimely end? I've got 230k km's on mine and am just wondering if  it might be prudent to switch over some time later on when she gets alittle tired.

Diesel oil won't 'flush' your engine; it'll just treat it better. Leave it in until your next oil change then switch to whatever your preference may be. And stay away from most solvent-based 'flushing' additives - they can strip your engine of vital lubricating properties.

Many people believe that higher-mileage engines benefit from thicker/heavier oils, which is not really true. Contrary to popular belief, thinner oils work far better in that they lubricate better on startup and continue to lube smaller passageways better throughout the heat cycle. I use a 5-30 weight, personally.

Most importantly for kindest care to the engine is consistent changing of oil and filter. Along with a fresh air cleaner these two components account for the majority of engine health. Be religious about it and you'll gain a long lasting performance profile in terms of fuel economy, performance and engine longevity.

Lastly, choice of gas/petrol is also to be considered seriously. Petrol quality is not what it used to be; it is by and large been degraded. Buck up for quality gas and stick with it.

88Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 12:13

Kyle10 wrote:
K75cster wrote:Changing your filter when you change your oil is a good practice. Kyle10 I was going to use diesel oil to flush my engine as I thought it only dealt with the gum left over. However what would happen if the engine seemed alittle noisey or high milaged, would the diesel oil;s extra zinc help stave off its untimely end? I've got 230k km's on mine and am just wondering if  it might be prudent to switch over some time later on when she gets alittle tired.

Many people believe that higher-mileage engines benefit from thicker/heavier oils, which is not really true. Contrary to popular belief, thinner oils work far better in that they lubricate better on startup and continue to lube smaller passageways better throughout the heat cycle. I use a 5-30 weight, personally.

Lastly, choice of gas/petrol is also to be considered seriously. Petrol quality is not what it used to be; it is by and large been degraded. Buck up for quality gas and stick with it.
Something that we agree on! Thinner oil is the answer to a long lasting engine as engine life should be measured in the number of start ups more than mileage. With an old fashioned 20W50 the engine will run for quite a while before the oil has the chance to get around the whole engine. With a 5W30 or a 5W40 it will save most of that time when the engine is grinding away waiting for the thick oil to circulate.

As for petrol quality, here in Europe it is all the same quality, there are two different octane ratings but the quality is the same. If you intend to use diesel oil to lubricate the engine then why not put diesel in the tank too?

89Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 14:37

Kyle10

Kyle10
Life time member
Life time member
Couldn't help yourself, could you?

90Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 15:02

tgolden

tgolden
Silver member
Silver member
For the southern USA, where temperatures during the summer months are in the 90s and above, 20W50 is the recommended oil viscosity for the K100. During the winter months 10W40 is the recommended oil viscosity. I've followed these recommendations along with oil and filter changes every 3k miles, and I haven't had any issues related to motor oil.

91Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 23:52

BritMotorWorx

BritMotorWorx
bikerboy wrote:

Kyle10 wrote:

Many people believe that higher-mileage engines benefit from thicker/heavier oils, which is not really true. Contrary to popular belief, thinner oils work far better in that they lubricate better on startup and continue to lube smaller passageways better throughout the heat cycle. 

That being said K75cster, would a thicker oil leave a heavier deposit on worn parts in an older motor for the next start up?   Also as the engine wears wouldn't a thicker oil leave a thicker film around the worn parts thus reducing vibrations caused by the greater tolerances?   I have added Morey's engine oil conditioner to my old Honda car and it noticeably quietened the engine noise and it is very slippery,sticky stuff!   My old Beemer has over 60,000 miles and always wondered about additives in old motors to thicken the oil slightly, at the same time leaving a thick oil deposit on all surfaces for start up?      scratch 

92Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Fri 14 Feb 2014, 03:48

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
bikerboy wrote:
Two Wheels Better wrote:Did I once read about a mad bastard who swore the old oil from the fish 'n' chippy was the best...something about the potato particles...even better after a busy Saturday night.

Wink
Put it through a filter and tip it into your diesel fuel. It runs okay up to about a 50/50 mix - stinks a bit though.

Very true, just don't do it on a common rail diesel engine. You have to modify it for them although the equipment is not too expensive I think between power and consumables it costs about 30c a litre on top of the oil so you need a supply of old used oil to make it worthwhile. Not too hard to get.

But if you have an old Citroen or Peugeot or Mercedes W123 with a Bosch injection pump it will run just fine. Smell like a chip shop ok but it works fine. And if you run low on diesel you can tip in some neat vegetable oil. You do need to filter it and either way you will be replacing fuel filters more often. Most of these cars have cheap replaceable paper filters mounted up at the front of the engine and easily accessible.

Diesel is about €1.45 litre here, you can bulk buy vegetable oil in larger containers for about €1.10 litre.

Sidetracked, but back to the engine oil. To some extent it depends on when an engine is designed because its designed to suit run on what's available at the time. I am always a bit cautious as to what car manufacturers say after significant problems with Mercedes. Sadly they have no concern as to what happens their engines as they get older. They took out a straight 6 cdi engine and replaced it with what they said was a state of the art V6 which now as an older engine seems less favoured than the earlier one.  They have V8 engines with a reputation for snapping timing chains at not significant mileages, automatic transmissions with fluid for life changed to change at 60k miles and tough cheese if you had already done 100k on it. Tried and tested is often the way to go so if something works for you why change it.

This forum is world wide, from frozen winter zones to torrid zones, I am sure our preferences will differ in different parts. The recommendations from BMW differ too.

Last edited by 92KK K100LT 193214 on Sat 01 Mar 2014, 13:26; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Bikerboy edit.!!)

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

93Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Fri 14 Feb 2014, 04:25

Have to agree with the last post apart from one thing, no one designs an engine for a specific oil. The engine is designed to power a vehicle and will run on the oils available at the that time. An oil is there to hold two metal bits apart whatever engine they are in, the metal bits don't know if they are in a tractor of a Honda.

94Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Fri 14 Feb 2014, 15:36

BritMotorWorx

BritMotorWorx
Surely as an engine wears and the oil should change also.  Nice new tight engine would need a thinner factory recommended oil (synthetic probably best) and I would have thought visa versa for a worn engine with clearances opened up creating more wear through increasing vibration and knocking of parts, obviously on a microscopic scale.

95Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Sat 01 Mar 2014, 12:54

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
The sad fact about manufacturers recommendations for service intervals nowadays is that they are often driven by marketing imperatives to recommend longer and longer service intervals because customers equate longer service intervals with a vehicle being cheaper to run. If you move the car on after a few years that is true but if you are the type to keep it for 20 years plus then it is a false economy. All the manufacturer cares about is their new model not breaking down in the warranty period and being OK for the first 5 years or so from new, after that they don't worry too much. I am a great Merc fan but the recommendation of sealed for life on the auto trans was just plain wrong and high mileage severe service usage users were killing off their sealed for life gearboxes very frequently with very bad publicity with the result MB had to rush out a change to recommend 60,000 oil changes.

Regards,
K-BIKE

96Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Sat 01 Mar 2014, 13:37

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
An excellent warning about the sealed for life transmission. I had one of them but had a main dealer who took my concerns on board and he did the change anyway. Its still running at well over 200k miles now.

The accountants at the manufacturers look at the running costs for the first owner and no further. Sadly that may actually mean the subsequent or long term owner suffers. I have this Peugeot 405 from new and many parts have never been touched because of long term maintenance. It burns no oil, changes at 6,000 miles on the button. Recently I managed to pick up brand new original manufacturer parts to replace the entire of the braking system, for less than €200. That included calipers, wheel cylinders, rotors [discs], pads, master cylinder. It might seem irrelevant but its only about 3 hours work. My attitude was do it before some part fails and has to be replaced at main dealer prices. Most newer motors you could not do that, even if you got the parts for that price.

Frequent oil changes are a bit like that, but they are cheaper than engine repairs. I was fascinated by the LT, at 105,000 miles it was not burning oil, some thing not to be expected of a bike of that age. It seems to have had a well maintained life before me.

The whole thing with a well maintained machine is that generally will not let you down!

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

97Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Sat 01 Mar 2014, 17:08

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
K-BIKE wrote: the recommendation of sealed for life on the auto trans was just plain wrong and high mileage severe service usage users were killing off their sealed for life gearboxes very frequently with very bad publicity with the result MB had to rush out a change to recommend 60,000 oil changes.

Same story with later models K finaldrive, I think it was the first K1300's.

98Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty thicker oil Sat 01 Mar 2014, 17:13

GeorgeDaBikie

GeorgeDaBikie
hi all just a question. Shell do a "high Mileage' oil 25 W 60. I tried it and now there's a rattle went cold in the engine that wast there before, also the old girl doesn't start a easily as it did before. 

your thoughts

99Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Sat 01 Mar 2014, 17:27

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Or just a coincidence that different problem appears when trying a new type oil?
I would Guess you have a air leak close to the TB's, use a propane torch to check.
(preferably unlit).

100Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Sat 01 Mar 2014, 17:39

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
It may be as simple as an air leak as Inge said or the throttle bodies need balancing or depending on the miles just the usual cold rattle that Ks develop.  None are serious or fatal but the rattle can get unwanted attention at a first start up on a cold morning.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

101Back to top Go down   Engine oil for K100 - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine oil for K100 Sat 01 Mar 2014, 18:43

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
25 W 60 is way too thick for the engine. The oil pump will pump it but the engine needs a thinner oil. Get it out fast and put back in the thinner oil. An oil that's too thick will starve the bearing surfaces of oil. K engines are built to good tolerances. Even in a hot climate you would never use one of those oils. The knock is most likely before the oil pressure builds up on the bearings and possibly the tensioner.

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum