BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Trapper

Trapper
Silver member
Silver member
Hi All,
          Apologies if this topic was covered before, but I think my front Brembo brake pistons/seals are leaking. I have noticed a very light "spray" around the front wheel rims of late and suspect the seals are perished. My question: is this a relatively easy job to replace the seals and pistons? Must I split the callipers in half? Any other pitfalls to be aware of??

Many thanks

Trapper

BMW K1 Brembo front Brake calliper repair kit Ir-log10

zonenfeile

zonenfeile
Gold member
Gold member
Easy job
If you know what you are doing
If not: look for soemeone who has done that befor

Get the relapair kit 2x
And.... do the brake overhaul once but complete
Incl new hoses and cleaning the pump

K- Wiki - or rtfm first

Regards from Hamburg

Olaf

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
I don't know whether it's possible to get the pistons out without splitting the caliper halves.

What I do know is that getting both pistons per side out is tricky - an air line will push the out the one nearest to the brake fluid gallery leaving one in place.

That said, I was dealing with seized pistons.

What I would do is to remove one pad, hold the remaining one (or a suitably thin piece of wood) between the pistons while they are still attached to the brake lines. Then operate the brake lever to push the pistons out partially (far enough to be able to grip them later).

With the calipers split you should be able to pull the pistons out (especially if the seals are failing).

As you've probably already found Trapper, the four-piston seal kit includes new pistons so as long as you don't damage the caliper you can be fairly brutal with the old ones.

Splitting the calipers is not really an issue, getting the screws out might be after so many years. Just be certain that the mating surfaces are clean when you reassemble the caliper halves. I use a smear of red brake grease to hold the o-rings in place during reassembly.

Trapper

Trapper
Silver member
Silver member
Hi All,
          Enormous thanks for your very helpful comments - much appreciated.

Best wishes
Trapper

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have found that so long as you dont damage the old pistons they will be ok. They are hard anodized aluminium so dont grab them with pliers or it will be like glass splintering and a big chip comes off.
I have done 2 sets and both times had to split them to make it easy to get them out with compressed air.
Use a big wad of rag don't try to just hold your hand to catch them if they come out fast they will hurt to say the least.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
If you blow the piston/s out with compressed air, place it in a plastic bag and this will stop crap spraying everywhere.  Or rags as Rick suggests.  Or maybe in a box, or ....

Trapper

Trapper
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks Guys - I think I should put in an order for a bullet proof vest while I'm at it Very Happy

Trapper

ausbrick

ausbrick
Silver member
Silver member
Hi I have had trouble resealing after splitting them and I now change the seals without splitting its fairly easy hardest part is getting the piston out a bit of compressed air works just be careful they can pop pretty hard. AB

Brake kit number 34112331631 is £55.80 from Motorworks or Motobins, that works out at €66, plus potage and packing.
Went into the BMW dealer in my local town and asked for a price - €61! Ordered two kits and they will be here next week, no postage charge.
Money saved, thank you BMW.

the.postman

Life time member
Life time member
Trapper

Pm sent re caliper kits

1985 K100 RS   104EA49840092        #0081788     SILVERish (Madison) Prod. date 05/12/84
1984 srx 600
1986 cbr1000f/h

Trapper

Trapper
Silver member
Silver member
Hi,
        Enormous thanks for the heads-up on these. Unfortunately I got sorted last week Sad Hopefully there will be several members very interested in this offer.
Still looking for a K1 (not the Black version) Tank Bag - that will not mean flogging the house for it. The one currently on Ebay is way over-priced.

Trapper

drut

drut
ausbrick wrote:Hi I have had trouble resealing after splitting them and I now change the seals without splitting its fairly easy hardest part is getting the piston out a bit of compressed air works just be careful they can pop pretty hard. AB
Have been watching this thread with interest,I recently bought a 1990 K100rs 16v with the same front brake calipers.I found the front caliper pistons were sticking but the 2 long allen bolts holding the calipers together totally immovable,although I managed to get them useable by working pistons in and out etc,I am pleased to find piston removal without splitting is possible: thank you! Shame it only seems possible to buy seals together with pistons

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum