BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


1Back to top Go down   [solved]Retrofit ABS Empty Retrofit ABS Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:29 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Would you do it?

The /2 is I believe equipped to have ABS fitted (wiring is there) so was thinking about doing it.
It is a 1988 and ABS was an option. The instrument cluster has the 4L fuel light as an ABS light.

Probably at great expense so it may not happen.
But if you could get the parts at a reasonable price, would you do it?


__________________________________________________
1986 K100RT VIN 0093801K100RT with summer fairing for a northern visitor

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321
    

2Back to top Go down   [solved]Retrofit ABS Empty Re: [solved]Retrofit ABS Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:41 am

klompy the grey brick

klompy the grey brick
VIP
VIP
nope....I have a perfectly good yellow bucket that does not have a ABS unit in it....the reason I say this is I have seen more ABS in yellow buckets than fitted to K's...

[solved]Retrofit ABS Abs11

[solved]Retrofit ABS Bucket10


__________________________________________________
KKlompy [solved]Retrofit ABS 2854237993
"Grace" 1984 K100RS Silver VIN 0019026 Mitt eine Staintune Zorst.
"Olivia" 1997 K1100LT Dark Grey VIN WB1052600W0237453.









Chassis number0019026
Vehicle code0503
SeriesK589
ModelK 100 RS 83 (0502 ( 0503 )
Body typeK 100 RS 83 (0502
Catalog modelECE
Production date1984 / 07
Engine0513)

[solved]Retrofit ABS Au-log10


    

3Back to top Go down   [solved]Retrofit ABS Empty Re: [solved]Retrofit ABS Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:30 am

smithy

smithy
Life time member
Life time member
There seems to be a younger generation of riders now that are worried about riding bikes without ABS ! WTF. What ever happened to good throttle & brake control by the rider, or does everything have to be idiot proofed these day's. I'll agree with Klompy, if it's not on there now, then you wont have any problems with it breaking  down .


__________________________________________________
87 K100rs : Vin 9462 
86 K100rt : Vin 9901
Naked
98 K1100lt: Vin 8044
    

4Back to top Go down   [solved]Retrofit ABS Empty Re: [solved]Retrofit ABS Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:39 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Yellow buckets?

That is a bit harsh Mr Klompy.

[solved]Retrofit ABS Meiste10


__________________________________________________
1986 K100RT VIN 0093801K100RT with summer fairing for a northern visitor

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321
    

5Back to top Go down   [solved]Retrofit ABS Empty Re: [solved]Retrofit ABS Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:30 am

RicK G

RicK G
admin
admin
This younger generation of rider likes his ABS and also thinks it's a definate plus to safer riding.
On a dry road there are many riders who say they can outbrake an ABS system and very conclusive tests have shown that the occasional rider or driver can indeed outbrake ASB about 10% of the time but put them on a wet road and to the best of my knollege it has never been done and even very experienced riders cant come within 10 meters from 50mph.
Mainly because you will try that little bit harder and go arse up or you are leaving a bit in reserve because you dont want to go arse up where a good ABS will do it on the limit every time and it will have altered pressures due to a change of traction long before you would even realize it was needed.
In answer to your question rossco, if you can get the gear at a reasonable price off a bike where it is currently working then yes it is worth having.
If you can demonstrate that you can outbrake ABS every time in all circumstances then don't have it.
The one thing you don't do is ride harder because you have ABS or rely on it to get you out of a bad situation.
Its the same arguement that went round for years "If you don't have to kickstart it, it's not a real bike".


__________________________________________________
"Man sacrifices his health in order to make money.
Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health.
And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama


Bikes 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki
    

6Back to top Go down   [solved]Retrofit ABS Empty Re: [solved]Retrofit ABS Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:00 am

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
Having ABS or not would never influence my decision to own a bike. If it has it, all well and good. If not, then I'm equally happy. If I have it and it fails, if it cannot be fixed easily and cheaply, I'll get rid of it (the ABS that is, not the bike).

I couldn't ever imagine fitting it if it wan't there originally (even if the plumbing and stuff is already there).


__________________________________________________
1992 K1
1993 K1100R (used to be an LT)
    

7Back to top Go down   [solved]Retrofit ABS Empty Re: [solved]Retrofit ABS Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:02 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Some people like ABS, some don't.  Personally, I'm middle of the road and think equally of bikes with and without it.  It's an early system that is "clunky" (long modulator cycles) but it does work and, under certain circumstances, it can save your bacon/bike - at the cost of more weight and a little more maintenance to bleed the modulators.

To answer the original question:  There's a lot involved (brake lines, rotors, calipers, sensors, peg plates, modulators, main wiring harness, instrument cluster, tail cowl wedge, etc...) involved in upgrading a non-ABS K75/K100 to ABS so IMO you'd be better off just buying a bike that already has it if you want ABS.

http://www.ClassicKBikes.com
    

8Back to top Go down   [solved]Retrofit ABS Empty Re: [solved]Retrofit ABS Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:17 pm

Guest

avatar
Guest
There you go rossko, buy a bike that already has working ABS.

Here it is, and with upgraded V2.2 ABS that works no less   Smile

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/carindale/motorcycles/bmw-r1100rs/1028913172

And it's a Honking big twin to boot ..... You know you want it .... 

100K/Hr@3K RPM. Redlines at 8K. get in quick Smile


As for a retrofit. Forget it. You will have to fit ABS sensors to each wheel and the thingamebob rings on the wheels to make the sensors work, then measure them to get the shim sizes to go under the sensors. Forget it. If it was a GS on dirt roads maybe ... But they already have it anyway.

That R1100RS is looking pretty good now isn't it Smile

    

9Back to top Go down   [solved]Retrofit ABS Empty Re: [solved]Retrofit ABS Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:18 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Thanks all.
It was just a thought. I have taken the old RT off the road to do some maintenance and I swapped the rear brake over to the /2. For he first time since I have had the bike I can lock the back wheel at anything over 5kph.


__________________________________________________
1986 K100RT VIN 0093801K100RT with summer fairing for a northern visitor

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321
    

10Back to top Go down   [solved]Retrofit ABS Empty Re: [solved]Retrofit ABS Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:31 pm

smithy

smithy
Life time member
Life time member
@RicK G wrote:This younger generation of rider likes his ABS and also thinks it's a definate plus to safer riding.
On a dry road there are many riders who say they can outbrake an ABS system and very conclusive tests have shown that the occasional rider or driver can indeed outbrake ASB about 10% of the time but put them on a wet road and to the best of my knollege it has never been done and even very experienced riders cant come within 10 meters from 50mph.
Mainly because you will try that little bit harder and go arse up or you are leaving a bit in reserve because you dont want to go arse up where a good ABS will do it on the limit every time and it will have altered pressures due to a change of traction long before you would even realize it was needed.
In answer to your question rossco, if you can get the gear at a reasonable price off a bike where it is currently working then yes it is worth having.
If you can demonstrate that you can outbrake ABS every time in all circumstances then don't have it.
The one thing you don't do is ride harder because you have ABS or rely on it to get you out of a bad situation.
Its the same arguement that went round for years "If you don't have to kickstart it, it's not a real bike".
If they ever  fit seat belts to Motorcycles you'll probably feel that little bit safer again.


__________________________________________________
87 K100rs : Vin 9462 
86 K100rt : Vin 9901
Naked
98 K1100lt: Vin 8044
    

11Back to top Go down   [solved]Retrofit ABS Empty Re: [solved]Retrofit ABS Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:45 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
I've been trying out a few modern BMW's (K1600GT wow!) lately and with modern, powerful brakes and the Duolever front end, ABS is a must.
The brakes on the our K's are different in that they need a good squeeze and I think this makes us plan our stopping a bit more, as we should.
My last LT had ABS and I never felt it kick in during the five years I owned it. Just never wanted to be in a situation that I needed to depend on it.
Don't think I would go to the bother of a retro fit but if its already there, great.
Genuine 'accidents' are rare when you analyse them. Just treat everyone one else on the road as blind, deaf and insane.
Modern bikes are so well designed now that it can make anyone feel that they are a pretty good rider and may be tempted to push a bit harder than they should.
Add in riding gear with lots of armour, the latest full face and, of course, you can walk away from any accident. Can't you?
There have been one or two studies in Europe recently that have looked into this 'invincible' attitude.


__________________________________________________
Life is not a rehearsal.
2010 VFR 1200F DCT 
2010 R1200GS(gone)
1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100RT Madison Silver(gone)
1989 K100LT Stratus Grey(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)
http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co
    

12Back to top Go down   [solved]Retrofit ABS Empty Re: [solved]Retrofit ABS Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:48 pm

RicK G

RicK G
admin
admin
@smithy wrote:
@RicK G wrote:This younger generation of rider likes his ABS and also thinks it's a definate plus to safer riding.
On a dry road there are many riders who say they can outbrake an ABS system and very conclusive tests have shown that the occasional rider or driver can indeed outbrake ASB about 10% of the time but put them on a wet road and to the best of my knollege it has never been done and even very experienced riders cant come within 10 meters from 50mph.
Mainly because you will try that little bit harder and go arse up or you are leaving a bit in reserve because you dont want to go arse up where a good ABS will do it on the limit every time and it will have altered pressures due to a change of traction long before you would even realize it was needed.
In answer to your question rossco, if you can get the gear at a reasonable price off a bike where it is currently working then yes it is worth having.
If you can demonstrate that you can outbrake ABS every time in all circumstances then don't have it.
The one thing you don't do is ride harder because you have ABS or rely on it to get you out of a bad situation.
Its the same arguement that went round for years "If you don't have to kickstart it, it's not a real bike".
If they ever  fit seat belts to Motorcycles you'll probably feel that little bit safer again.
I shall choose to ignore that rediculous statement for the moment.
I thought better of you Smithy


__________________________________________________
"Man sacrifices his health in order to make money.
Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health.
And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama


Bikes 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki
    

13Back to top Go down   [solved]Retrofit ABS Empty Re: [solved]Retrofit ABS Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:20 pm

RicK G

RicK G
admin
admin
@Comberjohn wrote:I've been trying out a few modern BMW's (K1600GT wow!) lately and with modern, powerful brakes and the Duolever front end, ABS is a must.
The brakes on the our K's are different in that they need a good squeeze and I think this makes us plan our stopping a bit more, as we should.
My last LT had ABS and I never felt it kick in during the five years I owned it. Just never wanted to be in a situation that I needed to depend on it.
Don't think I would go to the bother of a retro fit but if its already there, great.
Genuine 'accidents' are rare when you analyse them. Just treat everyone one else on the road as blind, deaf and insane.
Modern bikes are so well designed now that it can make anyone feel that they are a pretty good rider and may be tempted to push a bit harder than they should.
Add in riding gear with lots of armour, the latest full face and, of course, you can walk away from any accident. Can't you?
There have been one or two studies in Europe recently that have looked into this 'invincible' attitude.
On the invincible attitude thing I recall reading some time ago about a programe that was introduced in Sweden (I think) where the young learners were put through a very comprehensive driving training course on the premise that it would cut down on the number of bad crashes that were occuring in the just started driving brigade (as they do in most places) and much to their amazement found the crash rate went up because the young guns thought that the training made them invincible and they took even more risks.


__________________________________________________
"Man sacrifices his health in order to make money.
Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health.
And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama


Bikes 1998 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki
    

14Back to top Go down   [solved]Retrofit ABS Empty Re: [solved]Retrofit ABS Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:15 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
@Klompy the grey brick wrote:nope....I have a perfectly good yellow bucket that does not have a ABS unit in it....the reason I say this is I have seen more ABS in yellow buckets than fitted to K's...

[solved]Retrofit ABS Abs11

[solved]Retrofit ABS Bucket10
I dont understand, why is ABS plastic always Yellow??
You should try it Rossco might be a buzz having an ABS neckid to ride


__________________________________________________
Keith - 1987 K75c with r100rt replica fairing and half of a 1984 K100rt 1992 K1100LT a blue one

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.
    

15Back to top Go down   [solved]Retrofit ABS Empty Re: [solved]Retrofit ABS Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:04 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Klompy ..... can I have my yellow bucket back?  I have something I want to put in it.  Two actually.


__________________________________________________
Red 1991 K75S
    

16Back to top Go down   [solved]Retrofit ABS Empty Re: [solved]Retrofit ABS Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:34 pm

K-BIKE

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
There is no doubt in my mind based upon personal experience and on several authoritative tests that ABS on a bike reduces accidents and reduces stopping distances. Some incredibly skilful and experienced riders, usually only top race bike riders, can do better than ABS but when we are being frank with ourselves the number of us who can really match their skill is very rare. With passing years and increasing traffic density the risk goes up, especially with local councils not maintaining the roads as well as they did only a few years back, what with new plush council offices to pay for and so on.

Would I buy a bike without ABS? for me the answer is no not now I have had a bike with ABS. In the same way if I ask myself would I buy a car without it, the answer is the same, it is too good a thing to have when the emergency happens.

Even the early generation ABS we have on the first K's is better than no ABS is my belief, YMMV.

Would I like to have traction control - absolutely, you only have to look and listen to an S1000RR being ridden hard round twists and turns to see what an amazing advantage traction control and ABS are on a bike ridden to the limit, Tom Cutter has written about both of these from his own personal experience.

On our K's when do we hit the limit? Sadly that usually happens when the unexpected diesel fuel or spilled oil confronts us or an idiot without any warning pulls out on us, in those fractions of a second that is when we need all our skills and all the electronic assistance we can get to stop us going down or into the vehicle that has pulled out.
Regards,
K-BIKE

    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum