BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Valve Shim Diameter Empty Valve Shim Diameter Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:24 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
I'm thinking of contacting a company called Precision Shims Australia to see if they have some to suit my K100.
Can someone tell me what the exact diameter measurement is. A combination of crook eyes and cheap measuring equipment doesn't help me much.

Also if anyone has heard of/dealt with these guys, would be helpful to know the results, think they are in Melbourne. (the shims seem cheap compared to BMW and Munich M/cycles).
Thanks
RT

2Back to top Go down   Valve Shim Diameter Empty Re: Valve Shim Diameter Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:46 am

RT, I'm pretty sure they are 29mm diameter. Last time I needed some I went and saw my mate who runs the workshop at a local suzuki dealer. He pulled a box from under the bench that had dinosaur bones written on top of the box and he gave me the three I needed. When I got home, one of them was 29.5mm diameter and wouldn't fit. But, on the up side, some jap shims will fit.

3Back to top Go down   Valve Shim Diameter Empty Re: Valve Shim Diameter Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:34 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
They are 29mm RT and Kawasaki Z1300 and Z1000 Z900 all fit.  Some will tell you yhr Yamaha made shims that were 29mm also but they have a 1.5mm chamfer on the perimiter and on the Kawasakis they would occasionally pick one up sideways and spit it out through the cover and head so I dont recommend using them.
The BMW cams touch all the way to the edge of the shim so they would be a likely candidate for doing it.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   Valve Shim Diameter Empty Valve Shim Diameter Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:31 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
I thank the collective geniuii once again. If I may impose one more time, does anyone have a really good Vernier caliper to reccommend (has to be digital for me, being a Science Dropout, better looking chicks in Economics classes).

5Back to top Go down   Valve Shim Diameter Empty Re: Valve Shim Diameter Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:49 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
RT wrote:I thank the collective geniuii once again. If I may impose one more time, does anyone have a really good Vernier caliper to reccommend (has to be digital for me, being a Science Dropout, better looking chicks in Economics classes).
Just buy one of the cheap digital calipers from China on Fleabay.  That's what I use and it is surprisingly accurate.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

6Back to top Go down   Valve Shim Diameter Empty Re: Valve Shim Diameter Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:07 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
I'm with Duck on this, re micrometres. I bought a $19 China-made version from tool discounters, Harbor Freight in Tacoma Washington, over seven years ago and except for replacing the watch-type battery twice, it's not let me down.

Of course, it could just be giving me the numbers I want to see...

Damn, is that why my valve clearances never change!?

7Back to top Go down   Valve Shim Diameter Empty Re: Valve Shim Diameter Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:32 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Two Wheels Better wrote:Damn, is that why my valve clearances never change!?
No, it's because K bike valves are pretty static.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

8Back to top Go down   Valve Shim Diameter Empty Re: Valve Shim Diameter Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:52 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
As most here probably know I have a Z1300 Kawasaki or as in US a KZ1300 since new in 1979. I also spent many years dragracing a Z900 in various forms from street driven to top fuel bike.
The Kawasaki had a habit of wearing the shim in the centre more than the outer edge and so using a vernier all you did was to measure the outer edge and that rarely changed and if you put a shim in that was worn in the centre with the worn side down it would sometimes crack.  I learned the hard way as most of us do and measured them with a micrometer so that I could measure the centre of the shim and not its nominal size, if it showed any sign of wear in the centre it would go into the bin.
As I said previously the BMW 29mm shims seem to wear right across the face and so should by theory wear evenly but they dont, probably due to the spring pressure being higher when the cam lobe is centre on the shim.

Conclusion Use a micrometer it will give you real readings as to the state of the shim and if it is suitable to use.
Being that the BMW K100/75, BMW F series and Kawasaki all have interchangeable shims and considering the age this is more likely to happen due to people using from an old stock of shims of unknown source.
You can get a good micrometer on fleabay for much the same price as a set of verniers
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-25mm-0-001mm-Electronic-Digital-Micrometer-/290512465552?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item43a3e46e90.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

9Back to top Go down   Valve Shim Diameter Empty Re: Valve Shim Diameter Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:01 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
duck wrote:
Two Wheels Better wrote:Damn, is that why my valve clearances never change!?
No, it's because K bike valves are pretty static.
That was written with some dissimulation, or feigned-ignorance, tongue-in-cheek style.
:joker:

10Back to top Go down   Valve Shim Diameter Empty Valve Shim Diameter Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:43 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Well I have purchased a set(X2) and have to recommend the service from these guys. No attachments to me
just found them quick and reasonable.
Precision Shims Australia in Croydon Victoria, Chris Bullen. 

The shims were $9.90 each which is ok for me, you may have them cheaper but I'm happy with them.

So all shimmied up here, replace Wazs' that I used and ready for the rest of the fleet.

11Back to top Go down   Valve Shim Diameter Empty Re: Valve Shim Diameter Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:15 am

MarcS

MarcS
Silver member
Silver member
RicK G wrote:They are 29mm RT and Kawasaki Z1300 and Z1000 Z900 all fit.  Some will tell you yhr Yamaha made shims that were 29mm also but they have a 1.5mm chamfer on the perimiter and on the Kawasakis they would occasionally pick one up sideways and spit it out through the cover and head so I dont recommend using them.
The BMW cams touch all the way to the edge of the shim so they would be a likely candidate for doing it.

Many years ago I bought a second hand GPz1100, It spat a shim and (luckily only) bent one valve. It turned out that the shim had been pushed on to the top of the valve on its edge and drove the valve into the crown of the piston. No one that I spoke to at the time had ever heard of it. I guess this would explain why it happened.

I have no problem with authority. Just some of the morons that are paid to enforce it.

12Back to top Go down   Valve Shim Diameter Empty Re: Valve Shim Diameter Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:15 am

jdaley

jdaley
What range of shims should be worth keeping stock of?

13Back to top Go down   Valve Shim Diameter Empty Re: Valve Shim Diameter Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:06 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Once you get them right they rarely need adjustment but 4 sizes either side of 2.50mm would see most adjustments out.
P.S. always keep a record of the shim sizes and measure with a micrometer not verniers.

14Back to top Go down   Valve Shim Diameter Empty Re: Valve Shim Diameter Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:02 am

jdaley

jdaley
Thank you very much

15Back to top Go down   Valve Shim Diameter Empty Re: Valve Shim Diameter Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:39 am

brickrider2

brickrider2
Life time member
Life time member
I have purchased shims for my Laverda from Precision Shims.  I found their service to be exemplary. I would definitely go to them again.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum