BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

51Back to top Go down   Tearing down - Page 2 Empty Re: Tearing down Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:50 pm

duck

Life time member
Life time member
Congrats!  What you have learned will be invaluable if you ever have any issues on the road.

The 85 and 86+ fuel level senders operate much differently.

It MIGHT be possible to trigger a relay that's hardwired to the low fuel lamp in the cluster.

The brown/white and brown/black wires are for the respective indicators. I'm not sure which is which.  I don't know the exact details of how they work but it's something like when they are exposed by the lack of fuel they heat up and complete a circuit - or something like that. (Inge probably knows)

Now lets see some pics!

http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

52Back to top Go down   Tearing down - Page 2 Empty Re: Tearing down Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:13 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
I agree with Duck.
Congratulations. I was in the same boat a number of years ago. Stripped it down, no idea what I wa doing, put it in labelled bags and somehow it all went back together and started.

Ignore low fuel light. Use the trip meter.

rosskko

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

53Back to top Go down   Tearing down - Page 2 Empty Re: Tearing down Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:49 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
About the fuel level warning; if your new cluster is non ABS and the old is of the 9 screw model....it shouldn't be any problem to switch the fuel level pcb.

Some thin sheet metal is needed for the cooling of a transistor.......if Your old
cluster is of the 7 screw model, some mod is needed to the Board itself.

54Back to top Go down   Tearing down - Page 2 Empty Re: Tearing down Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:57 am

gunsports

gunsports
Silver member
Silver member
Guess for now, I'm going to be riding by the seat of my pants; fuel wise. First couple of miles will be mostly town riding, just to check the bike out. My question: what typical milage can I expect per tank full?

The bike is in good tune. The injectors have been serviced by Bosch and the old smell of petrol is no longer.

Till I have another fix; I plan to use the trip meter as a sort of fuel gauge.

55Back to top Go down   Tearing down - Page 2 Empty Re: Tearing down Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:21 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
If you make a habit of resetting the trip meter every time you fill you will soon learn how far you get.
If I ride to work, about 16km each way I can expect 240km before the light comes on.

I did a ride a few weeks ago of highway riding and the light came on at 260km and then I rode an extra 70km and still had fuel in the tank.

Smithy has a 25k km RS and he gets 350km easily.

Fill up every 150 miles and you won't shouldn't have a problem and you will probably get 200 any way.

If you are as old as the rest of us, after 200 miles you are probably ready for a stop anyway.

Do a search in the Forum tab. Google likes our little site and does a great job of finding stuff we have forgotten about.

FUEL ECONOMY

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

56Back to top Go down   Tearing down - Page 2 Empty Re: Tearing down Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:10 am

gunsports

gunsports
Silver member
Silver member
Well, she's back on the road. Took her for her first 'shake down' ride on Sunday and must say; what a wonderfull machine. She runs beautifully; has loads of power and is as smooth as can be.

Now I just need a windscreen for the bike. Wind resistance at speed is uncomfortable.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum