BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   ABS: a flashing question Empty ABS: a flashing question Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:14 pm

Culminator

Culminator
Hi all, I'm having no success clearing my ABS fault and will probably resort to a proper diagnostic test. However, I just wanted to know if there is any difference in outcome if the lights flash alternately or simultaneously?
Thanks!
Mike

2Back to top Go down   ABS: a flashing question Empty Re: ABS: a flashing question Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:32 pm

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
Can you tell us what it is that you've done so far?

3Back to top Go down   ABS: a flashing question Empty Re: ABS: a flashing question Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:44 pm

Culminator

Culminator
Hi Mike,

So far if done the usual grounding out of the centre pin whilst keeping the ABS switch pressed down etc.  the ABS light goes solid but then as soon as I start the bike and apply the breaks, both the hazard warning light and ABS light flash in unison.

Holding down the ABS switch will put both lights on solid for a few minutes. Rear stop light bulb is ok.

4Back to top Go down   ABS: a flashing question Empty Re: ABS: a flashing question Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:51 pm

larrikin

larrikin
Life time member
Life time member
It could be a bad earth. I had the same problem and it took one Australia's best BMW guys an hour and half to find it.

On the test it show 6 faults at once until he cleaned the the earth lead

It increases my paranoia
Like lookin' at my mirror and seein' a police car

5Back to top Go down   ABS: a flashing question Empty Re: ABS: a flashing question Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:02 pm

Ringfad

Ringfad
Life time member
Life time member
and don't forget the bike needs to be moving to clear the ABS light, you  mentioned you started the bike but have you taken it for a ride ?

;BMW; K100RS Style Black 1987 105K Km     ;BMW; K1 Black 1993 60K Km     ;BMW;  K1100RS Black 1996       ;BMW; K1 Blue 1990 25K Miles

6Back to top Go down   ABS: a flashing question Empty Re: ABS: a flashing question Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:26 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Reset procedure:

1) With the ignition turned off, ground the center diagnostic plug terminal.

2) Hold the ABS switch down.

3) Then turn on the bike (doesn't need to be running, just on) while keeping the switch depressed.

4) Count to 20 or 30 while keeping the ABS switch depressed.

If it doesn't work the first time then try it a couple of more times.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

7Back to top Go down   ABS: a flashing question Empty Re: ABS: a flashing question Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:46 pm

Culminator

Culminator
Yes taken it for a ride. My question was more to do with the way the lights flash. Mine flash simultaneously but I've also heard/read somewhere of them flashing alternately. What difference do those two scenarios indicate, if any?

Cheers
Mike

8Back to top Go down   ABS: a flashing question Empty Re: ABS: a flashing question Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:17 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
They dont flash alternately at any time. Try this site for info and if no luck he can fix them for about $175 + P & P
http://bmwk10075abs1fix.web.fc2.com/

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

9Back to top Go down   ABS: a flashing question Empty Re: ABS: a flashing question Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:55 pm

It's an RBike that flashes alternately which indicates the self test was ok.
Also on an RBike, they flash together if there is a fault, like low battery. 
RBike not KBike.

10Back to top Go down   ABS: a flashing question Empty Re: ABS: a flashing question Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:12 pm

Culminator

Culminator
Ok great thanks for clearing that up.

Took it out today for a proper ride and loved it. What a great bike for very little money8)

11Back to top Go down   ABS: a flashing question Empty Re: ABS: a flashing question Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:45 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
It's no info about if it's ABSI or ABSII......so this could be added ......

On a ABSII euqipped bike the warning lights would flash simultaneously untill the self test is
done (bike needs to be moving)..........if then a fault occurs they would start to flash alternately.

Or if you got a bad battery... they would start to flash alternately, when you hit the starter button.

12Back to top Go down   ABS: a flashing question Empty Re: ABS: a flashing question Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:47 pm

klamityboy

klamityboy
Gold member
Gold member
No help with your problem other than offering another data point. My ABS 1 would often not go out when the bike started moving. Sometimes the warning lights would start flashing when starting out from a traffic light. Replacing the battery helped for a short period but in the end replacing, and upgrading, the alternator made the problem go away.

There are ways to read the fault codes without taking the bike to a dealer. There may be some docs on this forum outlining the process. Here are two from ibmwr.org:

http://ibmwr.org/ktech/abs-diagnostics.shtml

and 

http://ibmwr.org/ktech/abs-fault-readout.shtml

Model Description: K 75RT
Market: Europe
Type: 0565
E-Code: K569
Engine: 3_ZYL - 0,70l (55kW)
Transmission: Manual
Body Color: Polizeiweiss
Production Date: 30.08.1990

13Back to top Go down   ABS: a flashing question Empty Re: ABS: a flashing question Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:27 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

14Back to top Go down   ABS: a flashing question Empty Re: ABS: a flashing question Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:21 pm

Culminator

Culminator
Excellent additional help there, thanks!

I'll have another go at resetting but I've also just bought a spare ABS brain, so we'll see if tat fixes it. If not, time to buy a test lamp and see if I can read the fault code.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum