BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

GF Wollongong

GF Wollongong
Platinum member
Platinum member
The title says it all. Am charging the battery (currently 11.93V). It will start. 

RHS indicators light up. No flash. LHS barely light up. Horn - nothing. 

Have looked (quickly) in the electrical section. Haven't found it. And knowing there is a lot of knowledge on this forum just itching to solve an issue, thought I'd throw it out there.

And on the topic of losses and wins... just before I went O/seas (India 3 1/2 weeks), went for a ride, open rode, forgot myself, heading south into Bulli Tops NSW, got pinged speeding at (speedo doesn't work) 130km. Highway patrol was sitting on my tail for a while - doing all the checks and then put the lights on. So I pulled over, but the flashers had gone out earlier in the ride. So I used the hand, was all very polite and amenable, shook his hand and wished him a merry xmas. Got home and (given I've got "several bikes") realised that the "your bike is out of rego" letter actually referred to this bike. 

Once back from holidays, got the fine ... thankfully only the speeding fine - not the unrego'd bike. Don't know why this happened. Maybe something to do with historical bike rego maybe? Soon to be fixed. 

So I've got a week to attend to this bike:
Speedo: use the rev counter.. strategic dots let me know the speed if in top gear)
Fork seals 
Indicators
Horn
Front tire (will go with Pirelli Sport Demon)
Back fire (PO drilled holes in the back of the muffler... might put original back on OR silicone them up... does sound good ... sometimes)

Roadworthy?

You bet

GF

GF Wollongong

GF Wollongong
Platinum member
Platinum member
It will have Pirelli Sport Demons front and back.

Rear tire has about 3-4mm left, front 2-3mm and a small crack. So time to go.

I too have some extra tires and will try to "use up" what I've got. 

I guess that if you ride hard - especially cornering - known tires in good condition equally predictable (ie. same tires front and back) is the way to go. However, if you plod along well within any limits, I'm sure it's fine.

Having just been to India, families of tourists are piling into tuk-tuk / auto ricksaws devoid of any tread on the tires. And they get home to write about it (usually).

I once flew Lao Aviation from Luang Prabang to Vientiane on 1.1.2000 (remember the "Millennial Bug/Y2K" hysteria?). Just as I was boarding the plane, I saw that the tire had 6 layers of stitching visible from wear and tear. I voiced my concerns to someone (pilot?) in a uniform and he said: "Don't worry. Every tire has 9 layers." Reassured, I dutifully got on.

Not sure how many layers motorcycle tires have though. In the film, Burt Munro is seen rubbing shoe polish into his tire ... before "doing" his practice run 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4giqUrQOwc

GF

volador

volador
Platinum member
Platinum member
Indicators not flashing, Horn not working 5332-131119224025
Indicators not flashing, Horn not working Electrical

GF Wollongong

GF Wollongong
Platinum member
Platinum member
Thanks for the pic

Problem solved - though I do feel like a bit of a dill.

Fuses.

Had pulled the blinker fuse at the start, it was new and looked intact. Even got a circuit with the multimeter. Upon rechecking later, it had a small break which substituting with another (ironically an old fuse) fixed.

So lesson repeated until learned: Don't trust the fuses. They may look good but double check them.

Of course, I got a result after a circuitous route (quick check of fuse ... seemed okay, battery fully charged, indicator relay removed, pulled apart, taken to electronics shop because brown sealer looked like it had burned out, substituted relay, removed LHS switches and deoxited, main earth point cleaned, pulled tank and cleaned secondary earth point, checked rear bulbs...was about to remove starter motor... rechecked fuses !)

Regards

GF

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum