BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   K100 restoration cafe-racer style  Empty K100 restoration cafe-racer style Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:07 pm

Cossie

Cossie
Having spent many months looking for a project I recently purchased a  K100 RT that needs work.  (Built 10-1984)
The seller had inherited it as an incomplete rebuild. It was not running and it was not clear what parts were missing . The price was good so i took a chance.

What i brought home.
K100 restoration cafe-racer style  Hpim0410

K100 restoration cafe-racer style  Hpim0411

I sourced the following missing bits from a local breakers
Injectors
Cam cover bolts
HT leads
HT coil 

I checked the torque on big end bearing and main bearing bolts and they were OK (it was not clear what had been taken apart , what had been put together properly and what had been hastily reassembled by the PO when moving the bike)
I removed spark plugs plugs, squirted oil into the cylinders and onto crank bearings. Left it for a while then pushed the bike in gear and the engine rotated OK. 
I dumped the fuel that was in the petrol tank  and rinsed it a few times with fresh petrol then put more fresh petrol in. Oil and water in the engine. Oil in gearbox and final drive.
From what i have read when starting an engine that has been sitting a long time the important thing is to get it running as promptly as possible to get oil circulating under pressure.
So i tested the injectors separately with a 9V battery and a syringe of alcohol and the all looked good.
I hooked up a battery and turned the engine over with plugs out and was getting a good spark. Also oil pressure light went out which was reassuring.
Time to go for it. 
Connected everything up pressed start and with in less than 10 secs it fired. A few more goes and it was running. Result! It sounded nice and smooth too. There was an awful lot of smoke and a knock that on first guess sounded like  a big end bearing, but it was running.
I left it running for for about 40 mins until the fan cut in. 
I started and ran it a few more times and over time  the smoke disappeared. (the knock did not)
I also carried out a compression test and all 4 cylinders were good.
At that stage I was able to say that the engine was worth stripping down to refurbish.

Initially the plan was a cafe racer style rebuild. This is what i had been looking at
K100 restoration cafe-racer style  Bmw-k110

K100 restoration cafe-racer style  Img_3110

K100 restoration cafe-racer style  Sam_0211

K100 restoration cafe-racer style  Sam_0212
K100 restoration cafe-racer style  Sam_0310

However when i got the bike it looked really good as original so i carried out a few trials to lower the original seat. No matter what i did i was not comfortable sitting on the bike at a stop. The seat is just too wide and too high for me (I am not tall) so back to original plan .
I mocked up  a few seats in cardboard and when i had one i liked i did a prototype in plywood. 
I put this on the bike and with a new battery fitted i took it for a spin up and down the lane (about a mile) This allowed me to test operation of the clutch and gearbox (all good).  It was only a 10 minute spin on the bike but i could not stop grinning all evening.

After the first "Road Trip"
K100 restoration cafe-racer style  Hpim0414

K100 restoration cafe-racer style  Hpim0415

K100 restoration cafe-racer style  Hpim0416

K100 restoration cafe-racer style  Hpim0417

First  the mods to frame
Shorten rear overhang and fabricate new cross brace/Lights and seat support. Two new blanking plugs for rear of frame bonded in with epoxy. New fuel tank mounting cross piece.  Remove redundant brackets from frame.
Then dismantle bike as per Bert's excellent article.

Frame ready to be sent for blasting and priming.

K100 restoration cafe-racer style  Dscf0010

K100 restoration cafe-racer style  Dscf0011

Frame back after blasting and etch primer
K100 restoration cafe-racer style  Dscf0012

Next I applied 3 coats of rattle-can  Simoniz acrylic satin black
K100 restoration cafe-racer style  Dscf0013

Its not perfect but the satin is fairly forgiving and i think it looks well.  Its should allow for easy touch up if and when need in later life. As long as it is durable and does not start to rust i will be happy. Time will tell.
That's all for now.

Last edited by Cossie on Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:02 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Inserting pics instead of links)

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
Looking good. I'm just finishing off painting another frame. They're a pain to get right without overloading some tubes with paint aren't they?

Cossie wrote:
Next I applied 3 coats of rattle-can  Simoniz acrylic satin black
K100 restoration cafe-racer style  Dscf0013

If you type in the image tags at either end of your links: the image will appear (as above).

GTJos

GTJos
Silver member
Silver member
Very Happy Hi Cossie !
Looking good; happy to see you started with a solid base !
In regards to the paintjob: my compliments. I'm lucky enough to have a son who's a pro (makes a living being an allround painter).
I watched him sanding, filling, priming, masking and spraying cars and bikes many times, but I agree with MikeP: it's a hell of a job to get a bike's frame just right ! So: compliments on this one, keep up that good work !
I'll be following this project with interest; thank's for sharing !

Regards
Jos

1986 K100RS 0085647 + sidecar Velorex 562
                                1985  K100RT  0027026

4Back to top Go down   K100 restoration cafe-racer style  Empty Engine output shaft rivets Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:34 pm

Cossie

Cossie
Thanks for the comments. 
I have opened the engine to get a look at the output shaft as it seemed the most likely source of nasty noise. I found that the rivets were indeed loose. 
I sourced a replacement from a motor breakers on E bay (from a 1987 K100 LT)

Yesterday I got the lend of some bearing pullers and was able to get a better look at the original and "new" shaft 
These pictures are the original shaft 
K100 restoration cafe-racer style  Dscf0110
K100 restoration cafe-racer style  Dscf0111

K100 restoration cafe-racer style  Dscf0112

It appears to me that over time the hole in the anti-backlash spring that engages with the pin on the narrow gear wears and  opens up. As this happens the spring can move outwards and starts to hit the sides of the Rivets. In my case the three leftmost rivets are loose (i can rotate them easily)and 2 have been marked on the side where the spring has been hitting them. 

K100 restoration cafe-racer style  Dscf0113
In contrast, the newer type spring which is fitted to the 87 shaft is much smaller and even if it wears a bit it is never going to impact the rivets. 
That is the one i think i should be fitting.

5Back to top Go down   K100 restoration cafe-racer style  Empty New output shaft Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:10 pm

Cossie

Cossie
Output shaft ready to go in. I got this second hand on E-Bay and fitted a new bearing and new spring in the anti-backlash gear.
K100 restoration cafe-racer style  Readyt10

6Back to top Go down   K100 restoration cafe-racer style  Empty Re: Engine output shaft rivets Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:05 pm

GTJos

GTJos
Silver member
Silver member
Very Happy Fine pictures, thanks for that ! 
Always good to have this kind of documentation, as 1 picture "says" more than 100 words.
Cheers !
Jos.

1985  K100RT  0027026

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Beautiful work on the frame!  Do you mind if I ask what you payed for the OP shaft on Fleabay?

OG

8Back to top Go down   K100 restoration cafe-racer style  Empty Output shaft Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:41 am

Cossie

Cossie
Thanks guys
I got it for £20.00 plus £10.00 for shipping which i think was very reasonable.
This is the store
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/moto-partz?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Cossie

Cossie
Finally starting to put things back together!
K100 restoration cafe-racer style  Dscf0115

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
Cossie wrote:Finally starting to put things back together!

Oooooh I cant wait til I put my frame back on!

Looking good mate!

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
lots of potential ...good work

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

GTJos

GTJos
Silver member
Silver member
Cossie wrote:Output shaft ready to go in. I got this second hand on E-Bay and fitted a new bearing and new spring in the anti-backlash gear.
K100 restoration cafe-racer style  Readyt10

Smile Hi Cossie !
Congrat's; hope you get her back together before this season ends ? Thumbs up !
And also: thank's to your earlier remark about the 'anti-backlash gear' I'm now pretty sure of the sound-source coming from my engine ! Since a few weeks, mostly right after a cold start, I hear a kind of 'hickup' -accompanied by a split-second drop of the idle-. No problem on higher than idle-revs, she's running as smooth as she ever did but the 'hickup' at idle stays.
Seams to me that I'm in for some rebuilding, coming winter ! (Sorry for hijacking your threath a little...  Very Happy 

Keep on the good work !

Jos

1985  K100RT  0027026

Cossie

Cossie
Thanks for the comments guys.
I now have the bike back together enough to start her up and take for a spin up the road
Feels great. 

K100 restoration cafe-racer style  Dscf0311

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Looks like you got the genuine factory mounted shock absorber,
and it's mounted upside down.

Cossie

Cossie
Inge K. wrote:Looks like you got the genuine factory mounted shock absorber,
and it's mounted upside down.
Thanks Inge
I shall attend to that.

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
does the red alternator go faster? Wink

good luck with the start

Cossie

Cossie
floyd wrote:does the red alternator go faster? Wink

good luck with the start
Nice one  Floyd
The red alternator was the previous owners attempt at detailing.
I have removed red paint from the starter, as well as engine mounting bolts and various other bits and pieces. The alternator has yet to be done. 
I see you are in Marrickville. I have great memories of a year I spent a  working at Unilever (Edinburgh Rd) back in the 90's. Met some really sound people.

18Back to top Go down   K100 restoration cafe-racer style  Empty A few more photos Sun May 25, 2014 8:30 am

Cossie

Cossie
Front headlight fitted
Front indicators fitted
Front brakes working
Back brakes working (sort of)
Drives and runs well
I have had it up and down the road a few times now and am starting to get used to the weight of it.
I am treating the seat as a "Revision 1" as i suspect it may not be that comfortable for long journeys (or even short ones)
There is a bump from the front going over rough spots on the road  so i think will need to readjust the steering bearings

K100 restoration cafe-racer style  DSCF0374_zps420f0510

K100 restoration cafe-racer style  DSCF0373_zps4c5b236c

K100 restoration cafe-racer style  DSCF0368_zps46546920

K100 restoration cafe-racer style  DSCF0367_zpseb23ad40

K100 restoration cafe-racer style  Cbbe8236-3583-4e13-9694-c1c41083e7b5_zps9e513b18

K100 restoration cafe-racer style  696ceab7-2b86-4934-9107-80023fe93e95_zpsd459bfb5

K100 restoration cafe-racer style  F2b46790-44f7-484e-805a-1e7d9a6924c7_zps24d5a0bb

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Taking shape.
I notice you have left the 'snorkel' off the air box.
Seem to remember a while ago on a thread. Someone remarked that air passing over the hole in the air box when going faster, could cause negative or low air pressure in the air box.
While the snorkel isn't pretty, it does give a bit of a ram effect at speed.
The stock silencer looks enormous when the rest of the bike is stripped down!

1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100RT Madison Silver(gone)
1989 K100LT Stratus Grey(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)
http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

Tenox

Tenox
Life time member
Life time member
I do not have that snorkel and the bike performs very well without it too. Standing mile (naked bike, large pilot) with my humble acceleration skils with end speed 197km/h and bike would have continued to accelerate but the runway ended.

I do have a little home made shield on it.

Like this: 
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wso2wf0jajx9dju/Us9IpM3PD1#lh:null-PC13_01.JPG

and from airport:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wso2wf0jajx9dju/Us9IpM3PD1#lh:null-1stRun.jpg

bryandarragh

bryandarragh
Excellent, I envy your skills

Cossie

Cossie
K100 restoration cafe-racer style  20150710

Well finally got the bike on the road. A small matter of getting a licence had to be overcome. Insurance was sorted on Friday . So far 160 Kms (Small local trips). Am very happy indeed. I have to say a big thank you to  all the contributors to this forum as without it  I could never have completed this project . Thanks again.

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Congratulations on getting on the road at last.
Was down your way weekend before last after coming down the coast from Sligo.
You have some great scenic roads around you, but try to keep her between the hedges until you get used to it.
Plenty of tourists in hire cars!

1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100RT Madison Silver(gone)
1989 K100LT Stratus Grey(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)
http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum