BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Greetings from Seattle! Empty Greetings from Seattle! Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:15 pm

diesputnikdie

diesputnikdie
Hello!

My name is Jake and I was born and raised in Seattle. I got my first K bike a little over a year ago from a barn in Castle Rock, WA where the bike sat for a little under five years. It didn't run and the guy had no clue what could be wrong with it. It turned over and the compression was good so I got it for a steal!

Six days later I got the bike running perfectly well and took it to Aurora Suzuki to get some new Metzler's (the tires were totally rooted) and I've been riding it almost every day since. 

After some close inspection late last year I noticed that much of the frame was rusting, mostly under the cowl. Knowing that I needed to do a full spline lube, check the clutch, replace gaskets, and generally top down maintenance I decided to put my man pants on and strip the entire thing down. 

Right now it is completely disassembled and some parts are at Seattle Powder Coat for stripping and coating, and the engine is in a million pieces. I've used a cup brush to strip all the rust off the aluminum and I'm using VHT engine enamel to bring back that cast aluminum sparkle. 

Anyway, there are a few things I anticipate needing help with, do expect to hear from me soon. 

Happy riding/wrenching

Jake

2Back to top Go down   Greetings from Seattle! Empty Re: Greetings from Seattle! Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:26 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Jake,

The K sure has got hold of you fast. Some of us are tempted to clean it all up, works for you guys that cant use the bikes in the winter but we can which means they never get off the road for all these loving jobs.

Yours is going to look good I guess and put a few of us to shame.

When you can pop a few photos and things and sooner or later you will find more K riders in your area to meet up share a story and a beer or two.

Surprised you took the engine to a million pieces because they go forever and a day. But its a good chance to renew all the rubbers and hoses and perishable stuff, a wise move.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

3Back to top Go down   Greetings from Seattle! Empty Re: Greetings from Seattle! Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:12 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome neighbor!
You're well located.  There are some very knowledgeable K-bike rider in your immediate area.
(mind you, I do not include myself among the knowledgeable, but I'm learning.)  Very Happy

4Back to top Go down   Greetings from Seattle! Empty Re: Greetings from Seattle! Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:11 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
welcome jake

enjoy the experience

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   Greetings from Seattle! Empty Re: Greetings from Seattle! Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:21 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Hi Jake welKome to the Knuthaus.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

6Back to top Go down   Greetings from Seattle! Empty Re: Greetings from Seattle! Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:26 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome.

Where are you in Seattle?

What year/model?

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

7Back to top Go down   Greetings from Seattle! Empty Re: Greetings from Seattle! Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:20 am

Born Again Eccentric

Born Again Eccentric
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Jake,

Welcome. It sounds like you've got quite a project on you hands - it would be good to see pictures of your progress in the renovations section.

I admit to having a quiet, guilty shudder on reading how the bike is in a million bits - my first bike several moons back (it wasn't a K, it wasn't even a Beemer - so what does it matter?) a Honda VT500 got to a stage where it was burning oil faster than petrol (gas), so I took it on myself to fix it and ended up with the bike in a million bits. Long story short, those million bits (like so many projects, I suspect) got mixed up during a house move and never made it back together again. I hope you've bagged and tagged everything to make your job easier.

Good news though - you're in the right place for help and key parts still seem to be reasonably well available. 

Keep the faith, enjoy and get riding.

Paul

8Back to top Go down   Greetings from Seattle! Empty Re: Greetings from Seattle! Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:52 pm

diesputnikdie

diesputnikdie
Wow.  Thanks for the great responses!

As far as the bike being in a million pieces, don't worry!  I've taken a great deal of advice from this forum and others, from users such as the legendary SmithDuck, and YouTube videos from Chris Harris to know that bagging and tagging, as well as photo documentation and the Clymer's manual, are required.

I'm not 100% confident in everything (who ever is?) but I'm glad there's a community out there for this great bike.

Expect to see a post from me soon with pictures of the teardown of my 1985 K100RS!

One quick tip: not sure how well known these are, but an eBay user by the name desmoparts sells a 352 piece screw/bolt kit for the frame and body parts, and a 94 piece bolt kit for the engine and surrounding bits (excluding the unique screws that hold the cylinder and crankcase covers on).  These kits are meticulously bagged into groups complete with instructions.  So if you're like me and accidentally got brake fluid onto the Sharpie on the bags you labeled, these kits will not only look better, they'll save your bacon!

9Back to top Go down   Greetings from Seattle! Empty Re: Greetings from Seattle! Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:36 pm

klamityboy

klamityboy
Gold member
Gold member
Welcome. Can't wait to see the pics of all the parts laid out!  Shocked

Model Description: K 75RT
Market: Europe
Type: 0565
E-Code: K569
Engine: 3_ZYL - 0,70l (55kW)
Transmission: Manual
Body Color: Polizeiweiss
Production Date: 30.08.1990

10Back to top Go down   Greetings from Seattle! Empty Re: Greetings from Seattle! Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:34 am

carlmclelland

carlmclelland
Welcome mate.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum