BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

colinijohnson

colinijohnson
Silver member
Silver member
Having replaced the TB rubbers and injectors etc etc today I took the bike to "sutton & cheam vehicle repairs" and paid £108 for a "terraclean". (Google it - decarbanizes engine as on wheeler dealers on tv).

My LT 1989 2 valve has about 40k miles, but was running rough previously with major carbon build up showing on the exhaust.

After the terraclean, initial reaction was that tickover was now perfect without any blipping. Taking for a test ride, the power delivery was a lot smoother and I reckon 15-20% more power.

The engine sound smoother too - It was the 1st bike theyve done, and the process took 15-20 minutes. They placed 2 big fans near the engine, and asked me to keep revs contstant at 2500 revs.

I ride the bike hard, and usually get 165 UK miles per tank. I think I should get about 180 - I will monitor this, and post results if anyone is interested..?

Pic of bike after respray - Am I getting obsessive ??

Terraclean just been done on my bike... 1920070_10203018261995173_1025097190_n

2Back to top Go down   Terraclean just been done on my bike... Empty Re Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:46 pm

colinijohnson

colinijohnson
Silver member
Silver member
Getting riding lights _ new topbox & radials fitted Friday (BT30 front/Avons rear)
Will post report
Colin

Terraclean just been done on my bike... 10003425_10203018261795168_1150281967_n

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
That sure is looking good Colin it's a real credit to you. It will be interesting to see how it goes now.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Born Again Eccentric

Born Again Eccentric
Life time member
Life time member
colinijohnson wrote:My LT 1989 2 valve has about 40k miles, but was running rough previously with major carbon build up showing on the exhaust.

I ride the bike hard, and usually get 165 UK miles per tank. I think I should get about 180 - I will monitor this, and post results if anyone is interested..?
Colin,

Bike looking good and terra clean process sounds interesting, however, can't help thinking that you have a timing/air filter issue still to sort out. 

40k miles is not much for these old horses and you shouldn't be getting any significant carbon build up if you are getting the proper burn in the cylinders. To end up with lots of carbon suggests that the fuel is not being burnt properly which generally comes down to insufficient air or fuel injection problems (or your run your bike on coal). Hopefully, by replacing the injectors  you will have helped improved the problem.

165 miles to the tank is way low (might be worth going for rossco's challenge) and suggests that you are not getting the energy release from the fuel. My old LT (75k miles) gave me 180 miles to the low fuel warning and 215 miles until I bottled it and pulled off for gas. My current LT (35k miles) gives me 200 miles to low fuel warning and 234 miles to vapours (and that was with riding hard). By the way - I don't have one of those tank capacity enhancers fitted to my filler cap (yet). I reckon you are converting those missing 50 - 70 miles into carbon, which then makes the running even worse and you are liable to get unburnt fuel in the exhaust which will shorten the muffler life too.

Good luck.

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurance write-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donor" K100LT 1990 (Red)  (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike).   June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
looks great colin ....love the shiney bits ....grin !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

6Back to top Go down   Terraclean just been done on my bike... Empty Radials? Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:52 pm

troubleshooter

troubleshooter
Hi Colin - great looking bike - will you get radials on those wheels? I thought you had to have the 3 spokers?

Mike

7Back to top Go down   Terraclean just been done on my bike... Empty Re Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:08 pm

colinijohnson

colinijohnson
Silver member
Silver member
Mike - other threads suggest otherwise - the sizes are ok for non 3 spoke- people like to fit rear 3 spokefor fatter rubber (150 size) - but you need a k1100 Centre  stand fitted & k1100 front end without abs for more front choice. I'll keep u posted. Being fitted friday.
I think I need the timing checking....although since the exhaust & headers were changed, it's not so carbonated at the exhaust ....

Last edited by colinijohnson on Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

billtr96sn

billtr96sn
Silver member
Silver member
Is there any reason I can't see any pics?

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
billtr96sn wrote:Is there any reason I can't see any pics?
Other than having your browser set to no pics I can't think of a reason.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
troubleshooter wrote:Hi Colin - great looking bike - will you get radials on those wheels? I thought you had to have the 3 spokers?

Mike
There are 3 different sets of 3 spoke wheels.
K75 are same as K100 in sizes
K100RS16v and K1100RS Front 3.5 x 17"  Rear 4.5 x 18"
K1100LT Front 2.5 x 18"  Rear  3 x 17"
K75 front has the same disc as a 8v K100 where the other 2 take the later type of 305mm disc that is a floating type
So as you can see it is a lot easier to get radials for some than others.
The K75 rear are not interchangeable for the K1100LT rear as the K1100 has 14mm more offset than the K75 wheel.

Now to answer the question, you do not have to have 3 spoke wheels to use radials. You can get radials to fit the Y spoke wheels but there is a very limited range.

beanoldboy

beanoldboy
Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote:
misplaced spectacles?

http://www.airware.com.au

beanoldboy

beanoldboy
Life time member
Life time member

Pic of bike after respray - Am I getting obsessive ?? 

if bike pics are the result, please obsess.
Terraclean just been done on my bike... 1920070_10203018261995173_1025097190_n

http://www.airware.com.au

Peter_Skov

Peter_Skov
Silver member
Silver member
RicK G wrote:
I can't see them either , but that is because our firewall here at work is rather "tight".
Amongst others, is photobucket closed.

So at home, no problem

Terraclean just been done on my bike... Denmar10
http://www.skovbryg.dk

k-rider

k-rider
Life time member
Life time member
the bike is looking really sharp there  ,im not quite sure i understood what terraclean is, i will google it now

k-rider

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Looks great mate, well done!

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Terraclean just been done on my bike... Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

16Back to top Go down   Terraclean just been done on my bike... Empty update Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:01 pm

colinijohnson

colinijohnson
Silver member
Silver member
Radials fitted - love them. Bike feels so different, light and responsive on cornering. Doesnt seem quite so planted at 100mph, I must check the pressures ok.
The H4 relay conversion with Halogen bulb seems brighter, but not yet ridden at night. The riding lights from Motorworks look cool too - I'll post a pic at some point.
My miles per tank has gone up to 176 - was 150 - 155 before Terraclean. - I'm getting valve clearances checked next week - will update.

Finally, buying another bike - the missus doesnt know yet.... k100 rs 16v (keeping the LT for inter gallactic trips)
re....this was the ebay listing....yes the abs was removed...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-K100RS-1990-CLASSIC-BMW-/161272858823?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=kr1f%252B6bAg8qsCOkAV8phKifVf9k%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Comments?

You will probably start using the 16v for the long trips. Mine does not light the fuel lamp till it sees 210 miles covered.

Glacial

Glacial
colinijohnson wrote:
Finally, buying another bike - the missus doesnt know yet.... k100 rs 16v (keeping the LT for inter gallactic trips)
re....this was the ebay listing....yes the abs was removed...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-K100RS-1990-CLASSIC-BMW-/161272858823?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=kr1f%252B6bAg8qsCOkAV8phKifVf9k%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Comments?

That bike looks very cool and you got it at a very good price, risky domestic strategy though!

Ed

k75RT Keith

k75RT Keith
Silver member
Silver member
An acquaintance decarbonized her BMW on the highway during a rain storm.  The air intake took in so much water that it soaked the air filter and the moisture went through the engine and decarbonized the valves and cylinders.  Wasn't till she exited the highway near her home that a bit of carbon stuck a valve open causing her machine to run very poorly.  Her husband took the head off and found a sparkling clean head and cylinders and the bit of carbon jamming the valve.

I think the Terraclean method is probably a better choice

k75RT Keith wrote:An acquaintance decarbonized her BMW on the highway during a rain storm.  The air intake took in so much water that it soaked the air filter and the moisture went through the engine and decarbonized the valves and cylinders.  Wasn't till she exited the highway near her home that a bit of carbon stuck a valve open causing her machine to run very poorly.  Her husband took the head off and found a sparkling clean head and cylinders and the bit of carbon jamming the valve.

I think the Terraclean method is probably a better choice
We used to call it the redex treatment, it was much quicker, and free. Modern oils and fuel mean that engines do not need de-carbonising any where near as often as they used to 40 years ago. I cannot believe that it would make more than 2% improvement in economy.

21Back to top Go down   Terraclean just been done on my bike... Empty Emissions before terraclean Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:34 pm

colinijohnson

colinijohnson
Silver member
Silver member
Terraclean just been done on my bike... Imagejpeg

colinijohnson

colinijohnson
Silver member
Silver member
Readings after terraclean
Can anyone translate what the readings say about the bike?

Terraclean just been done on my bike... Imagejpeg

k-rider

k-rider
Life time member
Life time member
nope

Very Happy 

k-rider

billtr96sn

billtr96sn
Silver member
Silver member
If I could see them I could, but I can't see them!!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum