BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Finnigan

Finnigan
Silver member
Silver member
I got this bike a couple months ago and decided to ride it around until I changed anything.  Here's how I got her.

My 1990 K100LT, trying some upgrades :) Img_2110

My 1990 K100LT, trying some upgrades :) Img_2111

Finnigan

Finnigan
Silver member
Silver member
Installed new injectors, VERY big difference in performance and throttle response

My 1990 K100LT, trying some upgrades :) Img_2210

My 1990 K100LT, trying some upgrades :) Img_2211

Finnigan

Finnigan
Silver member
Silver member
Took off fairing, luggage, handlebars.  Put on NOS switches, new headlight and blinkers, and superbike handlebars

My 1990 K100LT, trying some upgrades :) Headli10

Finnigan

Finnigan
Silver member
Silver member
Put on larger diameter stainless steel headers and a supertrapp muffler, VERY pleased with the sound and throttle response after removing a couple discs to increase back pressure.

My 1990 K100LT, trying some upgrades :) Exhaus10

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good effort

don't like the shorty look ...(just a preference thing ) but if it works  why not ?!!...

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Kyle10

Kyle10
Life time member
Life time member
Finnigan wrote:Put on larger diameter stainless steel headers and a supertrapp muffler, VERY pleased with the sound and throttle response after removing a couple discs to increase back pressure.

My 1990 K100LT, trying some upgrades :) Exhaus10

Where'd you find your headers? Nice.

Finnigan

Finnigan
Silver member
Silver member
charlie99 wrote:good effort

don't like the shorty look ...(just a preference thing ) but if it works  why not ?!!...
Thanks, I'm not a fan myself, thought it would be a little longer.  I love how I can see the rear wheel though, and with it being so short I didnt have to use the weld-on hanger tabs they sent me.

My plan is to polish the heck out of the whole exhaust so it looks seamless and not so shorty-ish

Finnigan

Finnigan
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks Kyle, I actually got the headers off Duck (forum member) back in April.  They look great to me and they have a clean 2" outlet that a lot of universal mufflers fit onto

Finnigan

Finnigan
Silver member
Silver member
Red LEDs to brighten the dash
My 1990 K100LT, trying some upgrades :) Dashbo11

k75RT Keith

k75RT Keith
Silver member
Silver member
Looks very nice.  

BTW what did you do with the bits you removed?

Finnigan

Finnigan
Silver member
Silver member
They're all in a pile in the garage.

Finnigan

Finnigan
Silver member
Silver member
Fitting up the new GSXR front end

My 1990 K100LT, trying some upgrades :) Front_10

dkimpel

dkimpel
When you are done with the front fork Mods can you post a parts list and any issues with the install?

Thanks
Douglas

Finnigan

Finnigan
Silver member
Silver member
Hi Douglas,

If you want info on just the fork swap it was actually pretty easy.  I got a steering bearing set from allballz (spelling?) and with the spacers they provided it dropped right in.  I was even able to use the stock BMW bearing races.

The hard part now is making wheel spacers and finding the right wheel to put on since there are almost no 4 hole brake rotors with  ~300mm diameter

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Have you seen THIS about another GSXR front end on a K75 and THIS about wheel and brake selection?

Finnigan

Finnigan
Silver member
Silver member
Machined up some new spacers, front wheel is snug as a bug

My 1990 K100LT, trying some upgrades :) New_wh10

Finnigan

Finnigan
Silver member
Silver member
Not much of an update, got the wrong caliper spacers in the mail so I'm being sent a new set.  After they get here I'll be able to mock up the whole front end, order a tire and start wiring in the new dashboard (so excited for this!)

In the mean time I still can't let go of the possibility of putting a new rear wheel on the bike.  I'm busy with SolidWorks stress tests and talking to machine shops to get the adapters made up...but I still can't seem to figure if there is enough room at the swingarm/wheel/tire gap.  I don't want to get the wheel I want on there after hundreds of dollars just to have a skinny tire.

Here's a mockup of what it would look like on the back if anyone is interested.

My 1990 K100LT, trying some upgrades :) Rearwh11

goldwingblade

goldwingblade
Finnigan wrote:Installed new injectors, VERY big difference in performance and throttle response

Which injectors did you use, the 4nozzle type off ebay?

Finnigan

Finnigan
Silver member
Silver member
goldwingblade wrote:
Finnigan wrote:Installed new injectors, VERY big difference in performance and throttle response

Which injectors did you use, the 4nozzle type off ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201073757416?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Finnigan wrote:Not much of an update, got the wrong caliper spacers in the mail so I'm being sent a new set.  After they get here I'll be able to mock up the whole front end, order a tire and start wiring in the new dashboard (so excited for this!)

In the mean time I still can't let go of the possibility of putting a new rear wheel on the bike.  I'm busy with SolidWorks stress tests and talking to machine shops to get the adapters made up...but I still can't seem to figure if there is enough room at the swingarm/wheel/tire gap.  I don't want to get the wheel I want on there after hundreds of dollars just to have a skinny tire.

Here's a mockup of what it would look like on the back if anyone is interested.

My 1990 K100LT, trying some upgrades :) Rearwh11
just be aware that there will be a BIG offset of the rear wheel if you are using the standard mono lever rear drive .....the paralever rear end (off later models )  has a different offset  and these wheels are made to fit that

be cautious about the standard touring panniers as well, you will wear out the inside side of them real quick wit the wider tyre
just a heads up

looking forward to see how it comes together

cheers !!

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Charlie, it looks like these are not later K or R wheels, so all bets are off concerning offset.  Since Finnigan is talking with machine shops to make up an adapter, the shop can build offset into the adapter if required.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
It is the width of the rim and how close to the swinging arm it is that determines how far offset it is and a 5inch rim on a monolever will be offset by a minimum of 19mm. You just cant get them in centre because they are designed to use a 2.75inch wheel and there is not enough room to get it far enough to the right to make it centre.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
agree rick, ..if its a mono lever, with the standard  shaft casting  ...unless you could produce a modified  rear arm ...as i have seen on ben kinghams (bsk speedworks ) machine ...possible some others as well

Finnigan

Finnigan
Silver member
Silver member
Everyone has valid arguments here, I've been trying hard to see if this is even possible.  If not I'm not going to force it.  I have no intention of putting in on crooked  What a Face

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good onya for trying finnigan .... My 1990 K100LT, trying some upgrades :) 112350

Finnigan

Finnigan
Silver member
Silver member
Got in the garage last night expecting to make progress, but the bike had different plans;

Caliper spacers don't fit even though they were supposed to be made for the forks (awesome)
Rear wheel will not fit unless I custom machine a new carrier (~$400) and even then it will sit about 1/2 an inch off center (even more awesome)
The dashboard I'm installing has issues fitting on the triple tree clamp so I have to rig up some kind of bracket to hold it to the riser holes
Ordered a 2000 BMW k1200RS wheel as a back up plan but I could only find one in silver so now if I want to use the front wheel I already made spacers for I have to either paint them or get them powder coated before I can mount the new rubber

After opening more doors than I closed I decided to organize the garage and began installing shelves (not awesome)

Motivation, to put it simply, is not high at the moment....

Stay tuned

Finnigan

Finnigan
Silver member
Silver member
Hi Everyone,

After two weeks of back injury I finally wobbled my way to the garage to get more wrench time in on the bike.  The new rear wheel came in and fits well on the swingarm, clearance is going to be an issue when the tire is on but I'll cross that bridge later.  Now that the front and rear wheel don't match my plan is to save money by powder coating them to match and hopefully will look close enough when the front rotors are covering up most of the mismatch.  The only other option is to source a new wheel, get new spacers made, find new rotors that are the same size etc.  I just don't feel its worth it.

In electrical, i'm still making a mount for the motogadget dashboard that doesn't look like it was a DIY job but I only have hand tools and a dremel so the going is slow.

I've decided to ditch the ABS system and am working on removing all the components without making too much of a mess.

Finally I'm trying to fit on some universal Tomaselli rearsets but as of now it looks like its more trouble than its worth.

Have a good weekend!

My 1990 K100LT, trying some upgrades :) Image210

My 1990 K100LT, trying some upgrades :) Image310

My 1990 K100LT, trying some upgrades :) Image110

My 1990 K100LT, trying some upgrades :) Image410

Finnigan

Finnigan
Silver member
Silver member
Anyone need spare parts? 

Got stock front end including fairings and panels
ABS brake system (front and back)
Stock wheels
Some controls and switches that are in working condition but ugly

Stay tuned for pic updates Very Happy

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The only way you will get that wheel centred is to use a paralever rear drive.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Finnigan

Finnigan
Silver member
Silver member
From what bike?

Edit: I'm pretty sure the BSK k100 has the same rear wheel as this and a monolever drive.  Wonder if they are racing with an offset wheel or maybe they ground the mating surface of the rim down a few millimeters.

My 1990 K100LT, trying some upgrades :) Bsk_ra10

My 1990 K100LT, trying some upgrades :) Bsk_ra11

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
they have a modified swing arm ...that allows for more  right hand side movement of the wheel
to get back to centre

Finnigan

Finnigan
Silver member
Silver member
Are there details of the modifications anywhere?

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
They just bolt in and all you need is the later model gearbox with the tags to attach the anchor arm of the paralever and considering yours is a 1990 then it is probably there.
You need the complete paralever setup from a K100RS 16v or a K1100LT/RS including the shockie.

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
I think Finnigan meant "Are there details of the modifications to the monolever swingarm anywhere?". 

Have you tried contacting BSK Speedworks to ask how it was done?

Finnigan

Finnigan
Silver member
Silver member
Hey Robmack, I contacted BSK last night and they already got back to me.  They said that no changes to the swingarm were made.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
i stand corrected ... but im sure i have seen a marvelous modified swing arm on one of his bikes ...with the 5 + inch rear  it definatly looked like a fabricated tube .  wish i saved that pic .

seeing more pics just recently it is a standard swing arm ...sorry for my confusion to all

Finnigan

Finnigan
Silver member
Silver member
No problemo Charlie, we all need the input and if something doesnt look right (light the obviously offset rear tire) its great that the issue is being brainstormed.  I appreciate the comments, keep them comin!

Finnigan

Finnigan
Silver member
Silver member
Almost finished the front end but need taller risers to clear the fork tube adjusters (grumble grumble)

Got the final drive off and checked the splines, they look pretty amazing for 129k on the clock -whether thats the actual mileage is another story, but still!- Cleaned them well and smeared on some moly.  I know the full job entails taking off the swingarm but the end looked so good I didn't bother this time around.

Playing around with the rearsets is posing lots of problems currently, and theres the issue of the misaligned rear tire.

In other news the center stand disengaged while i was working on her, thank goodness I got out of the way but the crank case took the grunt of the fall on a wheel bolt which was laying on the floor and put a bullet sized hole right through the cover!  It was an impossible mess and took forever to mop up all the oil to get enough traction for me to push her upright again.

I'm drinking beer tonight... My 1990 K100LT, trying some upgrades :) 610153

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Finnigan wrote:
In other news the center stand disengaged while i was working on her, thank goodness I got out of the way but the crank case took the grunt of the fall on a wheel bolt which was laying on the floor and put a bullet sized hole right through the cover!  It was an impossible mess and took forever to mop up all the oil to get enough traction for me to push her upright again.

I'm drinking beer tonight... My 1990 K100LT, trying some upgrades :) 610153

That sucks. It is not fair when you are trying to do something good for the bike and it lets you down by having a little rest on a bolt. Naughty bike.

Not sure if you have the front wheel on, but what some do when transporting is tie the stand to the wheel/ front of the bike so it can't fold back. Hindsight is always wonderful.

ps. I am drinking beer tonight too. My 1990 K100LT, trying some upgrades :) 502531 

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

Finnigan

Finnigan
Silver member
Silver member
Sounds like something I'll do in the future, cheers brother

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
sad to hear finnigan ... dontcha hate that !!

drinking beer tonight as well

Finnigan

Finnigan
Silver member
Silver member
My 1990 K100LT, trying some upgrades :) Wheels11

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
mmm nice !

Finnigan

Finnigan
Silver member
Silver member
Doing quite a bit of searching for my swingarm problem; got some answers and some questions for anyone out there.

GOOD: Looks like I can use the gearbox I have if I'm going to drill my own hole for the paralever strut.
BAD: Still don't know what about the 1100 setup kicks the wheel over.  For example, are the swingarms different shapes? are the final drives offset?

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
They are very different. Any paralever set up from a K100 16v or a K1100LT/RS will fit and put the wheel in centre.
You will need the swingarm, drive, shaft (both ends), shock and the anchor arm with bolts.
Also either K100 16v RS footpeg plates to clear the right side swingarm or K1100 footpeg plates and battery/ABS carrier frame so the plates attach.
If you go to real OEM you can see the differences http://realoem.com/bmw/select.do the K100 are in archive and K1100 are current.

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
The swingarm for the monolever is totally different shape than the paralever.  The paralever housing has a huge bulge at its end to accommodate the two-part drive shaft and the final drive's pivot bearing assembly.  The monolever has no need for a pivot bearing so it is slim where it joins the final drive.

Compare the images below where the driveshaft housing meets the final drive:
My 1990 K100LT, trying some upgrades :) Pc040012

My 1990 K100LT, trying some upgrades :) K75sp_para

The diameter of this bulge continues into the final drive giving the housing an hourglass profile towards its center region.  Consequently, the position of the flange against which the wheel mounts is offset more than the monolever final drive.  The hourglass profile and greateroffset combined provide the clearance needed to accept wider wheels and tires.

You'll have to somehow emulate this in your monolever by adding shims to the joint between the wheel and final drive.  You may also have to grind down some of the housing where the tire may rub.  The risk you run is to put too much offset into the wheel tracking, which may negatively affect handling and cornering.

Finnigan

Finnigan
Silver member
Silver member
Wow great info guys I appreciate you sharing your resources with me!

I'm seeing a big similarity between final drives for K1100, K1200, and R1100.  I'm guessing that its important to get the final drive that matches the swingarm and have been looking at the gearbox end of the drive shafts.  They all look similar and some are quite a bit cheaper than others.  I wonder if the k1200 or r1100 assemblies would work the same as the k1100/k1/k100rs4v

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The spline on the centre of the shaft is different on a K1200 and also length. As for the R1100 I have often wondered so keep us in the loop about that.
I have also heard that the later K1100LT had the same centre splines as the K1200 but cant say for sure.

Finnigan

Finnigan
Silver member
Silver member
I was able to get measurements for the k1200 drive shaft. does anyone have a k100 they could take measurements on to compare it to???

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote:They just bolt in and all you need is the later model gearbox with the tags to attach the anchor arm of the paralever and considering yours is a 1990 then it is probably there.
You need the complete paralever setup from a K100RS 16v or a K1100LT/RS including the shockie.

Did I read that the K1200 gearbox also fits for the swinging arm modification......and its 6 speed...?

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum