BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

bryandarragh

bryandarragh
Hi there

i am new to this forum lark. Cant seem to make a introduction as required.

But here I am

Just in the process selling a very nice HondaCX500 as bought a good basis K100rs. Bit impulsive but always liked BMW motorbikes. Previous bikes ER5, Suzuki SV650s, Apprillia habana custom, powder blue (yes, I know, but was free! And a 125!), the CX500 (will be missed) and now a K100rs

BMW has 70k miles, 12month MOT, FSH (more or less), cheaply delivered from Leeds to London, UK.

Have been trawling forums for ideas and very helpful.

Not sure if this the message to get into my thoughts out.

But basically

Front panels removed, workable but not very attractive twin small headlites,

Bad spray job on tank.

Rest as standard

Want to convert to a cafe racer (do not want to rush) by doing the following

Wheels: clean well, key with grit paper, hand painting the wheels, wickes matt (hammerite esque but more matt) with thinner, many coats.

Tank matt black(maybe, maybe not) by hand or spray. Do not want to remove tank, but will mask, and many coats.
Gloss black and silver gloss "piping" (by hand) surrounding new BMW badges. Or else high gloss BMW blue

Seat: Long, twin, no fibre glass "lump(?)" where missus posterior would be. Figure could take off fairing positioned below underseat and the fairing with grips currently in place. Hope to able to cut down/flatten considerably the foam in place already as I know a very good motorbike seat cover fella in Hackney. Nice rugged, dull leather looking stuff with piping. 

So, you can prob tell I want to do it basic, using what is there, reasonably cheap, whilst not taking the bike apart ie no workspace, keeping it black, touches of gloss details, grime on wheel commuter. Maybe some pointers? Cannot seem to find if the seat can be cut down to look like a flat cafe racer twin seat, maybe need to cut down stiff base of seat. matt black steel frame where accessable with paint brush and paitience.

Pegs, lights, bars and other stuff can be addressed later.

Please do give tips,
Or say "stop! consider this first"

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Bryan.

On the home page here there is a section on what to do if you have just bought a K bike. Some and maybe lots will say not to go Café Racer, but its better than no K. There are some threads here about doing that and some are quite interesting. However the RS has a strong following.

As for the petrol tank, you do need to check a few points. The Ks are old and some components are well past their date, fuel lines being one. You should check these and if in doubt change them and use BMW fuel line, its cheap but its designed for fuel injection systems which are under pressure. Of course there is lots of wiring etc under there too and a few earths that can give bother if they are not good. If you ever get a non start situation don't keep at the starter until the battery starts to run down, it can weld the starter relay.

Whatever you do you will find everyone very helpful and we all enjoy a little banter and fun as well.

When you get a chance pop your bike and year and serial number into your signature, lots of great advice and it makes it easier for guys to tell you the right stuff.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 49,200 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 63,390 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

bryandarragh

bryandarragh
Hi there

Ta for the tips.

Could you tell me how to add my details onto my messages automatically? I am quite inept at this I am afraid.

Regards

Bryan

Kyle10

Kyle10
Life time member
Life time member
:pale: Another K bike bastardized...(sniff)

Signed, 
Moldy Olde Fig

Welcome, Bryan. Throw some pics up, will ya?

bryandarragh

bryandarragh
Here you are, hope these show the state of the yellow spraypaint! 

Cant really see what else is practical. By the time I get front fairings back on etc will cost a pretty penny AND will have to paint them all. Figured by cafe racering it (or muscle bike I guess) will not have to much in the way of respraying.

Hello from Bryan (new member) who wants to race to the cafe!! Screen12

Hello from Bryan (new member) who wants to race to the cafe!! Screen13

Kyle10

Kyle10
Life time member
Life time member
Yeah, I see what you mean. Nearly 'cafe'd' as it is. If you're looking for inspiration there just Google some "K100/75 Cafe" phrases. All the rage, it seems. 

Looking forward to reading of your enterprise progressing.

bryandarragh

bryandarragh
Cheers Kyle

I do have to tread carefully though. Don't want it to look like a dog's dinner.

These are the 2 nicest i have seen:

http://goodhal.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/chemical-garage-k100-bobber.html

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/126734176987779063/

There are others out there but these 2 hit the mark.

Plus, unusually, the weather in the UK is perfect for a bit of riding.

Born Again Eccentric

Born Again Eccentric
Life time member
Life time member
bryandarragh wrote:Hi there

Ta for the tips.

Could you tell me how to add my details onto my messages automatically? I am quite inept at this I am afraid.

Regards

Bryan
Hi Bryan and welcome.

We're all pretty inept to begin with but not only does this forum help hone our bike fixing skills (and appetite for more complicated repairs) but it also helps us develop our computing/networking skills. 

Adding you details is real easy - click on the "profile" tab, click on "signature" tab and then type in your bike details and any pearls of wisdom you feel fit to share. Job done.

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurance write-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donor" K100LT 1990 (Red)  (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike).   June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

bryandarragh

bryandarragh
Thanks Paul. Now your fairing is lovely. What is the colour? I understand there is a colour palette for BMW from time immortal.Hello from Bryan (new member) who wants to race to the cafe!! Icon_farao Is yours 616?? Been googling a little, it is a light grey/sky blueish colour.

As I am stripping my bike somewhat would be nice to nod to original colours on tank, but a lean, workhorse rugged, London, diesle sodden road look everywhere else.

Stop off for pie and mash in Barking, catch the derby, have a go on one of those video, sit down racing games with yer mates

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Bryan,

While many K-bike-turned-cafe-racers can easily destroy the look and lines of the bike if not careful,  I feel the "Bell Kaff" that was revealed at the Quail Motorcycle Gathering this past weekend enhances the K-bike's looks.  This should be your target, Bryan.

Hello from Bryan (new member) who wants to race to the cafe!! 10395854_10152138340017339_6093990456764383066_n

Love the colour scheme and the totally custom exhaust.  Awesome.

Last edited by robmack on Tue May 20, 2014 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

JGT

JGT
Platinum member
Platinum member
Interesting frame. one off?

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Modified K-bike frame.  Note the "turn-buckle" tensioners on the side between the headstock and lower frame mount.  Interesting piece of engineering to tension/stiffen the frame.

Dual shocks on the back, R90 swing arm and rear end (I believe could be R100, not exactly sure) and wire wheels/drum brakes.

More photos HERE

bryandarragh

bryandarragh
Wonderful bike! 

It seems to me that bikes which are built with fairings as standard, if the faring is then removed, benefit when forks are reduced in height (replacing/welding?), in line with unfaired bikes with comparable engines (XJRs, Ducattis).

As my hand is forced to adapt (ie cannot replace fairing) then practicality is also key. Working bike for commute after all..

That chrome and mid green frame would look a tad mucky after a weeks commute!

But I also will miss my old Honda CX500.

bryandarragh

bryandarragh
Good service at a recommended, ex BMW mechanic, in central London, UK aside

If you had say 400 GBP

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/

What would you spend on, bearing in mind not quite decided where to go on colours, seat 

But the twin headlamps and panel must go

Born Again Eccentric

Born Again Eccentric
Life time member
Life time member
bryandarragh wrote:Thanks Paul. Now your fairing is lovely. What is the colour? I understand there is a colour palette for BMW from time immortal.Hello from Bryan (new member) who wants to race to the cafe!! Icon_farao Is yours 616?? Been googling a little, it is a light grey/sky blueish colour.

As I am stripping my bike somewhat would be nice to nod to original colours on tank, but a lean, workhorse rugged, London, diesle sodden road look everywhere else.

You're welcome. My bike/fairing is 655 which is actually quite a dark grey - must have been a trick of the light in the photo (taken as I picked her up from the previous owner.... a mere 5 months and 5000 miles ago).

Since then, I have disfigured with reflective chevrons - as well as touring, I use my bike for daily commuting to/from Bristol and figured that a few bright (but ugly) stickers might just stop the bike blending into the dark, diesel sodden road and help the blind motorists see me coming and give me and the bike a chance of running for the next 24 years. Wearing a dayglo jacket and white helmet confuses the hell out of them too!

...by day
Hello from Bryan (new member) who wants to race to the cafe!! Bike_c10

...and by night (black stickers that reflect white - now that's clever!)
Hello from Bryan (new member) who wants to race to the cafe!! Bike_c11

Not every bodies cup of tea, but commuter traffic is unforgiving so any edge is a good edge.

When I got paint for my previous K100LT, I got it from these guys...

http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-gb/colours.php

Not especially cheap, but good prompt service and quality product (make sure you go for the petrol resistant lacquer for the tank though - I didn't and regretted it soon after filling the tank using a spluttering fuel nozzle)

Last edited by PaulLipscomb on Tue May 20, 2014 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added paint details)

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurance write-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donor" K100LT 1990 (Red)  (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike).   June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum