BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

dkimpel

dkimpel
Needs some help with my 85.

I just got it put back together after paint and the it is hard to start and when it does run its very rough and the idle is all over the place.

It makes a knocking sound like that you would hear if you miss wired the spark plug wires but I have checked it and it is wired correctly but I am not sure about the wire feeds to the coils from the harness (The manual sucks).
Fuel pressure is good and the bike ran fine before tear down.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Go over the whole induction system for leaks from the air filter to the bases for the fuel injection.
You can use a spray can of carb cleaner to spray around the joints and if the idle changes there is a problem in that place.
Also the crank case breather to plenum tube is often cracked and leaking. Don't be concerned with the knocking as that is very typical of a rough running K.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
aye ...what he said ....plus 1

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

dkimpel

dkimpel
I went through yesterday and rechecked the the coil wiring and it is all good. I replaced the Crank case vent tube as it fell apart in my hands during tear down. I did remove the air box again (Could they have made it any harder to do) and found a 1/4 inch split in the tube from the air box to the plenum, could this cause it run that rough?

Ordered a new one! 

I ran again for a bit yesterday and it does sound fuel related, idles up and down and it sounds like it drops a cylinder.

Also I made a boo boo, I replaced the plenum gaskets that go between the plenum box and the throttle body and forgot to pinch down the the new ring clamps. Oops!

Thanks for the info will give it a try again once I have everything back together.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum