BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   "choke" lever wont stay in position Empty "choke" lever wont stay in position Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:18 am

RSMITH

RSMITH
Silver member
Silver member
hi all again.

fan is in and working great.

perhaps some of you have had this problem before, and could tell me how to repair it?

The "choke" lever on the left side of the handle bar will not stay in the "open" position, i have to physically hold it to keep it open.

how can this be repaired , where can i look out for the cause of the problem.

many thanks

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
The choke lever don`t lock at fully open, only a bit less than halfway of its travel.

Inge K.

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Inge K. wrote:The choke lever don`t lock at fully open, only a bit less than halfway of its travel.
Inge K.

My 85 K100rt keeps the choke locked only in the first position when the 1986 keeps it locked in both positions.

The reference # of both housings are different.

If you look closely a the diagram, the 1/2 moon part(Top part of#7)has 2 inprints for the locking ball. Maybe the K100 has only 1????

CF

"choke" lever wont stay in position Choke10

RSMITH

RSMITH
Silver member
Silver member
perhaps i explained it wrong.

i have to hold it open all the time if i let go it just moves back instantly.

i see the diagram thank you - i will have a look at it when i get home thanks.

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
CF: Thanks, another thing to add to the K75 specific list.

Smitty: Then you`re probably missing the small steel ball and/or spring in the bottom of the choke lever.

Inge K.

Moto Smith

Moto Smith
Silver member
Silver member
Inge K. wrote:The choke lever don`t lock at fully open, only a bit less than halfway of its travel.

Inge K.

Mine is the same. The choke lever locks at the halfway point but has to be held open past that point.

Cheers, M

http://www.markaspery.com

sgmayhew

sgmayhew
Silver member
Silver member

Mine is the same. The choke lever locks at the halfway point but has to be held open past that point.

Cheers, M[/quote]

Ditto for my 89 K100LT

artie86

Hi All,my 86 rt is the same,that's the way the guy I bought it off explained about holding it when starting and then letting it drop back to the other position to continue warmup, Very Happy

RSMITH

RSMITH
Silver member
Silver member
ok - thanks,

so it is supposed to lock in the "halfway" position?

my one does not "lock" in any position and moves back to the "closed" position- therefore I have to hold it "open"

will have a look when i get a chance- perhaps the ball on the lock mechanism has fallen out.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
RSMITH wrote:ok - thanks,

so it is supposed to lock in the "halfway" position?

my one does not "lock" in any position and moves back to the "closed" position- therefore I have to hold it "open"

will have a look when i get a chance- perhaps the ball on the lock mechanism has fallen out.
I have found that many carburetor repair kits have small balls and springs in them and as most mechanics only do half a job some of the kit is left over. They often have a box of such bits if they are anything like me and never throw anything out.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum