BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Master cylinder repair kits. Empty Master cylinder repair kits. Tue May 20, 2014 4:09 pm

mr grumpy

mr grumpy
Silver member
Silver member
Specifically the front one on a K100RS 16v. Does anyone have any experience of the success or otherwise of using these kits rather than replacing the cylinder? The brake is currently working fine but a little fluid has started to leak past the dust seal and is dripping onto the fairing. There's a price difference of about GB£110 so I would like to try the former unless a consensus from the forum's collective wisdom indicates that success is unlikely. Thank you.

2Back to top Go down   Master cylinder repair kits. Empty Re: Master cylinder repair kits. Tue May 20, 2014 4:25 pm

ali2908

ali2908
Silver member
Silver member
I did all my calipers on my K100RS 8V after they had been sitting for 10 years and have had no problems since. I bought the kits from Motorworks.

Ali

Ali
1985 K100RS
2002 K1200 RS

3Back to top Go down   Master cylinder repair kits. Empty Re: Master cylinder repair kits. Tue May 20, 2014 6:21 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
The problem with the 20 mm MC is that the bore corrode rather badly from the outer end, and the piston sits very shallow in the bore.

Ie outer gasket have a short lifespan, when the corrosion gets to bad......

Clean with very fine emery paper, flush, clean and examine.....
before ordering, repair kit....or a new MC.

4Back to top Go down   Master cylinder repair kits. Empty Re: Master cylinder repair kits. Thu May 22, 2014 2:57 pm

mr grumpy

mr grumpy
Silver member
Silver member
Thank you for the advice. I am going to try and find a used cylinder and inspect/recon it so that I can change it on the bike with a minimum of down time. UK part number 011190 appears to be common to the early R1100. What I have been unable to establish is if there is any difference between UK and US spec bikes (parts seem to be more readily available in the US and cheaper even with shipping costs). The US R1100 part number is 32 72 2 352 165; does anyone know if this is the same as the 16v US model?

5Back to top Go down   Master cylinder repair kits. Empty Re: Master cylinder repair kits. Thu May 22, 2014 3:22 pm

kioolt

kioolt
Silver member
Silver member
You can look here to see if the part numbers are the same for US and Europe.  http://www.realoem.com/bmw/  I would think that if the part numbers are the same then the part would be the same.

Total 422,400 BMW miles

AMA,BMWRA,BMWMOA

The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum