BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   fuel level sender Empty fuel level sender Thu May 22, 2014 3:09 am

k-wopper

k-wopper
Silver member
Silver member
Hi folks,
I don't know if it was removing the tank for a "johnny blanket" intallation or just being nearly 30 yrs but I have developed a slow gasoline leak from the electrical connection under the tank.
I couldn't find any reference to the part in any manual of motobins catalog other than the 4 prong electrical connector so I removed the 27?mm nut and pulled the sensor.
What a stupid way to send  wires into a gas tank! A plastic nut holding a small ferule like plug inside a 2 piece tube????
The fuel level sensors (2 on my 85) are just small transistors that seem to sense the absence of fuel at two different levels. On a side note one was broken so I soldered it back together.See if that helps.
I wish I could include a picture or exploded drawing here but every google + search came up dry but it appears that the leak is between the inner plastic tube which holds the 4-prong socket and the outer plastic tube assembly that contains the sensors. The only gasket is between the outer 27mm? nut and the screw fitting on the tank itself.
I am used to seeing plastic crap on Japanese bikes but I expected something more robust from der vaterland.
Anybody seen or had this problem?
Cheers 
Rob

2Back to top Go down   fuel level sender Empty Re: fuel level sender Thu May 22, 2014 3:25 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have seen it before a few times. I would recommend using a later model fuel tank but even that can have drawbacks because of the different rear mount.
What I would be inclined to do would be cap it off and use a digital fuel gauge where you stick one digit into the tank to see if there is fuel there.
I was talking about this sort of thing to the mate who has the local auto shop about BMW being so good in a lot of areas and yet doing some things so badly that it just leaves me agape and thinking WTF are these idiots thinking.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   fuel level sender Empty Re: fuel level sender Thu May 22, 2014 3:34 am

k-wopper

k-wopper
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks for reply Rick.
I was a little angry and mostly just venting!
I have been using the digital gauge since day one and the broken wire may fix the idiot light but it won't replace the 10 litres of fuel on my garage floor.
I,m thinking of just plugging it up with some "petrol" resistant gasket maker and see if that works.
Rob
p.s I apologise for posting in the wrong section (again)!

4Back to top Go down   fuel level sender Empty Re: fuel level sender Thu May 22, 2014 3:59 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
You might be able to get a dome nut from a refrigeration place or similar to cap that hole.  I never trust gauges I have a low fuel light and a gauge and still have a look for a real assessment.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum