BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Inlet Manifolds  Empty Inlet Manifolds Fri May 30, 2014 8:36 am

JGT

JGT
Platinum member
Platinum member
1988 RT with 92,000 miles on the clock. Stripped out the fuel injection side this morning looking for air leaks. ( it runs like a three legged dog at low speed) Of the four inlet manifolds, number 4 the rear one is in pristine condition the other three, the rubber is breaking away from the aluminium body around the allen screw holes, However the rubber manifolds themselves where the throttle bodies clamp too are all in good condition and still flexible. Before stripping I had assumed there would be a loose 'O' ring creating the seal between manifold and head but it looks like its all part of the rubber moulding. As they are £31 each, do I replace them or will some gasket goo give me a good seal? All other rubber parts are in good nick. John

2Back to top Go down   Inlet Manifolds  Empty Re: Inlet Manifolds Fri May 30, 2014 9:03 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Permatex RTV red will do the job or the usual 3bond let it cure for 24 hours before you run it.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Inlet Manifolds  Empty Re: Inlet Manifolds Fri May 30, 2014 12:38 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
same as what i found john

by sealing up the face between the head and the rubbers i got a good reliable idle ...

you might notice a notch of rubber at one end of the rubbers that looks as though it might make the rubber sit high on the face  just there ,,,i cut mine off flush ...just in case ...

good luck

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

4Back to top Go down   Inlet Manifolds  Empty Re: Inlet Manifolds Fri May 30, 2014 4:01 pm

JGT

JGT
Platinum member
Platinum member
Yes Charlie its odd but three of them did have a raised piece of rubber at one end, yes have cut them off, must be a fault in the mould when they were made. My next problem is the RTV sealant. Can't seem to find either Permatex or threebond in the UK. Any one know of a UK equivalent that is petrol resistant? Have found a number of RTV sealants but not suitable for contact with fuel.  John

5Back to top Go down   Inlet Manifolds  Empty Re: Inlet Manifolds Fri May 30, 2014 4:19 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Motobins got threebonds..............but it's used as a metal to metal sealant.

6Back to top Go down   Inlet Manifolds  Empty Re: Inlet Manifolds Fri May 30, 2014 5:29 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
I'll guess you could find something you could use among these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/high-temperature-gasket-sealant

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum