BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Bottom End Rebuild Empty Bottom End Rebuild Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:47 am

JCK100

JCK100
Hi,

My name is JC and I am in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. I've just acquired two k100's and one sounds like it need a bottom end rebuild.

I'm looking for some guidance on what (at a minimum) I should be looking to replace and what else I should do while I pull the bottom end out.

I am assuming I can pull the bottom end out without removing the motor/gbox assem. from the bike?

Is there an off the shelf bottom end rebuild kit I can buy? Do I need to buy rings if the compression is good (noting that they're £20 a piston). I was just thinking main bearings and big ends?

Thoughts? Any advice? I searched "rebuild" and looked in the how to before posting here.

Regards,

JC

2Back to top Go down   Bottom End Rebuild Empty Re: Bottom End Rebuild Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:02 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Welcome to the forum firstly.
Ks have a real bad habit of noisy drive shafts when some rivits start coming loose. They hold the gear to the shaft basicly and there are 6 rivets which is 1/2 of what is needed.
Dont be in a big hurry to do a crank and big end rebuild a secondhand engine is far cheaper and they don't give much trouble besides the rivets.
Check to see if the noise goes when it has warmed up and that is the usual sign of the bad rivets although they do get bad enough so they rattle all the time and that is getting to the urgent stage.
I cant recall seeing a brick with a shagged bottom end it is very unusual.
If you remove the crankcase cover on the right side then you can get a sight of the rivets which are on the gear behind the gear which is part of the rear counter ballance. 5th gear and work the rear wheel back and forth will show movement that is not supposed to be there although the rivets will make a racket without being obviously loose.
If you do need a bottom end I have several here that you can have but a second hand complete engine can often be cheaper than a set of bearing shells.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Bottom End Rebuild Empty Re: Bottom End Rebuild Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:44 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
welcome aboard jc ...

good luck with the fixing ...probably output shaft is the issue they do get noisy and sound like something lower down in the engine, especially at idle ....once the revs are up ...no real issue

might be an idea to head over to the "introductions" area and post in there ......that and a few more posts will give you access to the downloads section ...need i say more ?

cheers

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

4Back to top Go down   Bottom End Rebuild Empty Re: Bottom End Rebuild Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:12 am

JCK100

JCK100
Wow thanks for the quick responses.

On start up it sounded like a knock but did not continue while the motor ran. I figured with it having 245,000(!) k's on it, it was probably due for a rebuild. I appreciate your advice and will pull the bottom end cover and check out the rivets. The whole thing needs a going over as you might expect with that many k's.

charlie, I'll move the technical discussion to the technical area. This was in introductions. There was a warning there that said I needed to introduce myself before it would let me post elsewhere. It must be our fearless leader's desire to see us bikers compliant that made me comply.

JC

5Back to top Go down   Bottom End Rebuild Empty Re: Bottom End Rebuild Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:08 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
245000km is not a hell of a lot for a K there are quite a few around with 400000km on them and at least one that I know of has over one million miles on it.
On the portal page there is a link to "So, you've just bought a BMW what now" Have a read, Ted has done a wonderful job of putting together a good intro to Ks for a novice. It's well worth a read.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

6Back to top Go down   Bottom End Rebuild Empty Re: Bottom End Rebuild Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:04 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
I wouldn't bother with a rebuild. There's plenty of good used engines floating about that in the end will cost you much less in time, expense and effort.  JM.02

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

7Back to top Go down   Bottom End Rebuild Empty Re: Bottom End Rebuild Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:30 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
My friend is an ex BMW man. In all his time he has never rebuilt a K engine for maintenance, not even a cylinder head off. The only time he has done it was due to accident damage. The engines are unburstable, three things you may end up doing; the oil/water pump, the cam chain tensioner and the 6/12 rivet shaft job as was pointed out. High miles is not a problem.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

8Back to top Go down   Bottom End Rebuild Empty Bottom End Rebuild Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:58 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Hi JCK100
and welcome aboard.
I'd have a look at the cam chain/tensioner. I have a 91 RT/LT (different numbers) with a seriously noisy rattle
and when I took the valve cover off (L/H side cover) to do the valve clearances, I could see where the cam chain has been rubbing on the valve cover inner (shouldn't be anywhere near there). So I need to get brave and see what's happening with the cam chain.
Good luck with it.

9Back to top Go down   Bottom End Rebuild Empty Re: Bottom End Rebuild Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:32 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
thanks jc ...yep didn't notice the post was in the introductions section ...seemed sensible that it was in tech

all good

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum