BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   rebuild update 6/20 Empty rebuild update 6/20 Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:10 am

Gezar

I picked up a new battery today.
need throttle line replacement,
need some misc bolts for the triple tree.
need to install replacement fan.
need to put back in all the crap I pulled out to figure out the throttle line issue.
need to blast shocks and rebuild them
need to finish blasting center/kickstand and paint them
need to blast foot rest brackets, and part, and find out what im going to have to buy, rusty cotter pins suck
need to time the engine, its a wee bit off
need to have the carbs balanced, im not going to use 32foot long water tubes<I have thought about that>
need to go fishing
need to fix the breaks(this is going to be a hum dingier of a task)
pray my tires hold air,

before I can really do any of that, I need to finish the wiring harness to frame stuff, touch up the paint that chipped off the frame,

man, the list goes on and on and my the new bikes at the dealership look really nice all put together and stuff.

Ive learned a ton about these things, the K100s that is, very simple machines once you pull the skin off.
anywho just an update as to where I think I am, I need a ton of parts still. but who really knows. I get really close to being finished, then a 2$ part I cant find, destroyed, or lost makes me do that head shake thing, and then for the next few days all I can think about is what I need to get. then I end up botching the list and the process repeates.
phil

2Back to top Go down   rebuild update 6/20 Empty Re: rebuild update 6/20 Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:35 pm

Gezar

everything is moving along just fine, still debating the color scheme to use, I have really good gloss black paint I can spray and get great results. but then im left with a black bike, ive looked at a red with yellow stripe configuration and doing that right now, may break my bank, if I use good color paints, im going to want to use hardeners and clear coats, which is going to become expensive, and hainging drapes, tarps, and stuff from the ceeling in the garrage may not be right for that sort of stuff. what do you guys think about
Black bike.

I think Ill have enough pieces in on friday to finish putting the rest of the main stuff on, ie the wheels, Im going to have serious break issues right off the bat, that I will have to fix when that time comes before riding.

then the seat issue, there is an ebay dealer that makes new seat covers, so ill have to get creative with some wire and a variac to cut the foam correctly, thats going to be fun.

It seems that the closer I get to finished the further away I get. It feels like its in more pieces then ever right now, even though the shelves are now empty.

im also going to be working on a micro computer system to replace the clock/gear shift indicator, and fuel checker at the very least, I may add tach and speed as time goes on, im not expecting my cluster to hold up for very long. and to me, spending 200 bucks on some gizmos to learn and have fun with is a lot cheaper then 900 now and zero satisfaction and zero resolve. Im going to fully document that little process so others can do it to it if they want to. I could get into k100 rebuilding but I dont think anyone would get into a 35 year old college student doing it part time. but maybe this winter ill get a taker, and ill get to make the same size mess all over again.

help me with paint ideas please, I may still go with black for now, but I dont want to keep it black. she was originally dolomite grey.

oh side note, I guess this kid at school has decided that his triumph 600 sounds better with the muffler removed. hearing it makes me cry.

Maybe the taylor series gods will smile on me tommorow and all the parts will come in and I can have my cookout and a happy motorcycle.

good luck to yall on your adventures. and if you have never heard a k100 with its muffler off, its impressive. Oh turns out im going to have a gas tank left over, It has some serious dents, I purchased it that way for the pump, then to find out the pump was bad, but if someone has an accident of some sort, I bet I can give it away. I can probably get the dents out, its still going to need some bondo work, but the tanks from the factory had that on them as well.

Phil

3Back to top Go down   rebuild update 6/20 Empty Re: rebuild update 6/20 Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:21 am

Gezar

finally got it started again.

4Back to top Go down   rebuild update 6/20 Empty Re: rebuild update 6/20 Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:04 pm

Gezar

something still isn't right, I do not know what it could be exactly, maybe coils, or one of the computers. Im going to go ahead and start getting the body work done and back on, and if when I get some money, im going to start replacing parts, coils first. It smokes a bit when it runs, it all just makes me sad. Ill try to keep a running post on what I find as far as electro/mechanical issues, but I need to get it to where I can get it on the road.

5Back to top Go down   rebuild update 6/20 Empty Re: rebuild update 6/20 Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:31 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
What are the symptoms of "this something not right" ?

6Back to top Go down   rebuild update 6/20 Empty Re: rebuild update 6/20 Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:53 pm

Gezar

Well, today after putting the new plugs in yesterday, it did not want to start again. I put the jump battery one, and after a bit it finally started. It smoked as usual on startup, but like yesterday it continued to smoke, I have solid compression on all 4. I have a bit too much oil in the system so it could be just burning off some that collected in the cylinders. Also on throtle up, it is very hesitant. Other then that once I get it started it seems to be running fine. So the issues I guess are : the extra smoke, the hard to start, the sever hesitation.

7Back to top Go down   rebuild update 6/20 Empty Re: rebuild update 6/20 Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:14 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Smoking on startup is usual for the 1985 if you park it on the side stand. This is related to the rings. They are not maintained in a static position at 120 degrees from each others and oil can sip into the chambers. The bike will also smoke if you were trying to start it without success. The engine will have to run for a good 15 minutes in order to burn the oil accumulated in the exhaust.

You should re-visit the page on troubleshooting the EFI.
I inserted a new paragraph on fuel injectors and here is one of the statement:
Symptoms of a bad injector or injectors can include difficult or impossible cold or warm starting, irregular idle, lack of power, poor fuel economy, missing, high emissions and external fuel leakage.

Bert

8Back to top Go down   rebuild update 6/20 Empty Re: rebuild update 6/20 Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:09 pm

Gezar

I have given up on painting for now, and I have the bike almost ready to put back on the road.
adjust clutch.
bang out an old dent in the back up tank.
mount the alternate fuel pump.
cut the bad foam off the seat cushion and put a new cover on.
put seat and tank on.
hope it starts.
go up and down the street a few times for the first time since the fall of 1995.
I dont plan on going fast, I do not have rear breaks right now, waiting on a new master cylinder. The timing is a bit off but I believe I can get it pretty close to where it needs to be in order for me to take it to the shop so they can do a complete run through on that stuff that I lack the experience on.

Its not pretty, it seems to be two times the size of most bikes of the same size that are currently on the street, it will have an un matching tank color, but I get to be proud of it, not many people can say they completely took a bike apart and then put it ALL back together. I couldnt pull the gears out of the rear drive and I dont think I completely took the alternator apart. But I can still say all, right?

anywho, be safe
Phil

9Back to top Go down   rebuild update 6/20 Empty Re: rebuild update 6/20 Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:59 pm

downssm

downssm
Silver member
Silver member
Phil,

When it's done you get to say.. I did it! And that's hard to beat!

Steve

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum