BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Fork Gaitors Empty Fork Gaitors Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:10 pm

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
Do those here that use fork gaiters use any grease or lube on the fork stanchions so that the gaitors slide easily?

I have not used anything, and one of the gaitors (and only one) continually bunches up at the top and really stretches the bottom bit of the gaiter and I can see it eventually tearing it.

2Back to top Go down   Fork Gaitors Empty Re: Fork Gaitors Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:07 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
no mate ...the ones i have did suck in a little on braking ...but solved that by punching an about 5 mm hole in the rear (near the bottom )  of the gaitors ..

are you sure they arent binding on the forks ...internaly to the forks propper ?

try the hole punch fix ?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   Fork Gaitors Empty Re: Fork Gaitors Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:08 am

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
I have gaiters on both my bikes and neither uses any lubricant to maintain their shape.  Both have vents as Charlie describes.  The vent stops the gaiter from sucking itself into the stanchion resulting from the vacuum created as the fork moves up and down. Are you using the Rancho RS1952 shock boots as gaitors?  I think this product has 13 pleats and MAY tend to droop rather than bunch at the top.

4Back to top Go down   Fork Gaitors Empty Re: Fork Gaitors Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:30 am

JGT

JGT
Platinum member
Platinum member
Yes, have had this problem. Motobins supply two types of gaiter. The cheaper, 93920 I think, bind on the stanchions of my K75 fitted with Showa forks, cured by  piercing a hole at the top end of the bellows and lubing stanchions. The heaver type, 93900, already have a hole in the top but are free of contact with stations and work ok. Better bellows and worth the extra cost. John

5Back to top Go down   Fork Gaitors Empty Re: Fork Gaitors Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:07 pm

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
k100virgin wrote:Yes, have had this problem. Motobins supply two types of gaiter. The cheaper, 93920 I think, bind on the stanchions of my K75 fitted with Showa forks, cured by  piercing a hole at the top end of the bellows and lubing stanchions. The heaver type, 93900, already have a hole in the top but are free of contact with stations and work ok. Better bellows and worth the extra cost. John

I have the 93920's.....as they are on a K1100 and its the only one that mentions the 1100 in the description.....and they do fit nicely over the fork legs at the bottom of the gaitor.

Infact I have 2 sets of these suckers! The first set was in my box of parts that temporary went walk about when I decided to put them in a 'safe place' 

Will try the hole punch method and report back

6Back to top Go down   Fork Gaitors Empty Re: Fork Gaitors Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:40 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
Probably what I've got also.  When I noticed no breather holes, I put some in before fitting them. Any gaiters I've run before have had the breather holes and I couldn't see why you wouldn't run them. No sucking or distortion.

For the people that keep recommending the Rancho product.  They really are a North American solution.  Not available in OZ and as a rule the UK suppliers are better value for OZ when price, postage costs and exchange rates are considered.  That's why a lot of us don't tend to use any of the US sourced bits or alternatives often suggested.  On top of that we actually find some US suppliers will actually say "does not post to Australia"

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Fork Gaitors K-dogs10

7Back to top Go down   Fork Gaitors Empty Re: Fork Gaitors Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:44 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Alby and I bought our Ranchero gaitors from Amazon.com. Price was right and the postage wasn't too stupid.

I'll try and track down the cost. This was a couple of years ago I think.

EDIT: I'm glad I checked!

Boots: $6.58 AU

Postage: $7.73 AU back in May 2012.

Last edited by blaKey on Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:52 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : collating information that I'm sure that will annoy someone out there!)

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum