BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Running in Period? Empty Running in Period? Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:38 am

ssj_Gill

ssj_Gill
Hi Guys,

so i've done a total strip down and rebuild of my K100 LT engine. As i went along i lubed up various bits and pieces with engine oil, however, i'm concerned i haven't saturated it enough with oil. I'm close to the point of first fire up now and i'm just wondering what to do to best protect the engine and ease it into the running? 

Once i've filled it with oil, should i let it stand for a few days to let the oil work its way in? or should i put it in a high gear and try pushing it should so the oil pump moves the stuff around the innards? or do i just hit the starter and let it idle for a while?

Also, once it is fired up, what is the running in times/ distances for the engine?

cheers muchly

2Back to top Go down   Running in Period? Empty Re: Running in Period? Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:44 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Read from HERE

Should be all you need to know for that little confidence boost.

Well done on getting to the starting phase.

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

3Back to top Go down   Running in Period? Empty Re: Running in Period? Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:54 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Letting it sit won't do a thing as the oil is below almost anything that is lubed by the pump.  I usually use engine assembly paste on the cam shaft and followers and start it and let it idle till oil pressure comes up which should only be about as long as when you do an oil change maybe a few seconds longer.
As for running it in just take it easy don't rev the shit out of it and vary the revs and load while running.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   Running in Period? Empty Re: Running in Period? Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:00 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
aye agree rossko

lets hope the rebuild is a goodun

just run it up to temperature a few times ....without riding anywhere ....before you head off onto the road ...is all i can suggest

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   Running in Period? Empty Re: Running in Period? Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:06 am

ssj_Gill

ssj_Gill
Cheers Rosskko et al,

thats definitely a good confidence booster. i'll be gentle and make sure not to "rev the shit out of it" Razz

6Back to top Go down   Running in Period? Empty Re: Running in Period? Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:06 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
JMHO as a shade-tree mechanic, but it wouldn't hurt to pull the plugs and spray in some fogging oil.  Of course fogging oil is designed for a different purpose (off-season storage) but is convenient for for pre-lubing cylinders as it comes in an aerosol can.  Can't hurt, eh?

Edit: I've also read in numerous places that it's also a good idea with older engines (like K bikes) to run them on dino oil for the first 20k miles to let the rings seat properly as supposedly synth oil is too "good" to allow that to occur.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

7Back to top Go down   Running in Period? Empty Re: Running in Period? Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:04 am

Avenger GT

Avenger GT
Life time member
Life time member
I always spin a newly built engine up on the starter with the spark plugs removed to get the oil around it. Keep an eye on the oil pressure light to make sure it goes out, and crank it for a minute or two after this.  On a K bike I would disconnect power from the fuel pump to prevent flooding.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum