BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Synthetic oil or overfilling Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:09 am

AndrewP

AndrewP
Hi Guys,

Bought a K100rs 1985 model bit rough on the outside and very rough idle, anyway spruced her up a bit, new plugs, battery and cleaned up the Injection processor connection plug and she rides really nicely now so I decided to renovate this one back to original state.

Just completed an oil and filter change and while waiting for the oil to come to the sight glass I missed it and over filled her. Started her up to get oil into the new filter to see if I would then be at MAX on the sight glass, unfortunately still over. Emptied about 1 litre out to MAX on the sight glass, all seemed well with the bike.

Done a couple of shortish rides and now each time I start her there is quite a lot of smoke and she is now running a little rough, not as bad as when I bought her but rough all the same.

I treated the bike to PENRITE fully synthetic 15W- 50, do these bikes not agree with fully synthetic ? or is the overfilling stuffed up the bike ? is the running rough just a coincidence ? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew

2Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:23 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
If you're parking the bike on the sidestand while the engine is still hot then, yes, next time you start it will smoke to a greater or lesser degree as the thin oil will have crept passed the piston rings and into the combustion chamber. Overfilling won't have helped but - they all do it.

As for semi-synthetic; some on here have had trouble with it leaking past seals and other haven't. I have used semi-synthetic without problems but I tend to stick to dinosaur pee normally.

Running rough could be a number of things. I'd favour air leaks around the inlet intakes (the bits that connect the plenum chamber to the injector bodies) and the inlet spigots (the bits that connect the injector bodies to the cylinder head). It's most unlikely that they will have survived this length of time without cracking. Also check that the blanking plugs are still on their spigots on the side of the injector bodies (cylinders 1 -> 3 only - no.4 has a vacuum takeoff). Most likely they're either cracked or missing.

New parts for all of the above are available from Motorworks and Motobins in the UK; Motorworks also do good s/h stuff.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

3Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:37 am

AndrewP

AndrewP
Dai wrote:If you're parking the bike on the sidestand while the engine is still hot then, yes, next time you start it will smoke to a greater or lesser degree as the thin oil will have crept passed the piston rings and into the combustion chamber. Overfilling won't have helped but - they all do it.

As for semi-synthetic; some on here have had trouble with it leaking past seals and other haven't. I have used semi-synthetic without problems but I tend to stick to dinosaur pee normally.

Running rough could be a number of things. I'd favour air leaks around the inlet intakes (the bits that connect the plenum chamber to the injector bodies) and the inlet spigots (the bits that connect the injector bodies to the cylinder head). It's most unlikely that they will have survived this length of time without cracking. Also check that the blanking plugs are still on their spigots on the side of the injector bodies (cylinders 1 -> 3 only - no.4 has a vacuum takeoff). Most likely they're either cracked or missing.

New parts for all of the above are available from Motorworks and Motobins in the UK; Motorworks also do good s/h stuff.
Hi Dai,

I don't put her on the side stand at all due to that very problem, I am using FULLY synthetic and has been the only change so reckon could be the oil creeping past seals as you suggest.

I'm going to give the synthetic another day to get its act together or I go back to " dinasaur pee "  Smile

Will take a look for air leaks, did try the technique of spraying cold start across the area to see if a rise in RPM and nothing. Will check out the connections more thoroughly as you suggest. 

Did buy her cheap from a garage with a view of converting her but she rides so nice I couldn't bring myself to put her under the knife ( disc cutter )  Smile. I hope to bring her back to her original state.

Thank you

4Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:29 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Glad to hear that a new owner isn't doing another cafe job.  Seems that's all that people buy bricks for these days.

I run full synthetic Shell T6 Rotella 15w40 in all my bikes and have no problems with excessive smoking or rough running. 

Has you bike sat unused for any length of time?  If so, you could be dealing with stuck rings.  I have one bike that is finally loosening up after about 6000 miles and now smokes a lot less and at the same time uses less oil as well. 

If indeed you are burning a lot of oil, you may be oil fouling the plugs which can make ignition a bit hit or miss. 

Before I did anything else I would lower the level from the max point to the dot in the center of the sight glass.  That may help with the smoking.  Then I would check my plugs after a good hard run to see if they have a lot of carbon build up on the electrodes.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

5Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:32 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
I've been using Mobil 1 15-50 full synth in my bikes for years and still do. It does not cause any more smoke than any other oil.

After you turn the bike off and tilt it to the right for 10-15 seconds.  This will let the hot oil behind the pistons drain back into the sump a little better, leaving less behind the pistons to seep past the rings.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

6Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:59 am

BobT

BobT
Life time member
Life time member
How would the bike know where the oil comes from to make it run rough?
I would suggest that if, as you say you overfilled it by a whole litre, then you need to get yourself a manual telling you how much oil it should hold in the first place.

7Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:01 am

JGT

JGT
Platinum member
Platinum member

Before I did anything else I would lower the level from the max point to the dot in the center of the sight glass.  

I find if I fill to the top of the sight glass it consumes that oil until the red dot is reached then it remains stable. Its also easier to see how much oil you have.

8Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:44 am

AndrewP

AndrewP
Thank you for the advice dai, duck , point-seven-five and k100virgin makes good sense Very Happy

Thank you too Bob t your a genius

Andrew

9Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:42 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
The K100 was designed to run full synthetic. If the bike is used to fossil oils there can be some crud build up around seals etc. Full synthetic being more detergent than fossil oils, will clean this out, then you can get a little bit of weeping.
Also, full synthetic molecules are much smaller than fossil oils, good for engine lubrication, but it can get past worn seals where fossil oils wouldn't.
Always a good idea to pre-fill the filter otherwise start-up and initial running will be with no oil.
I'd have to agree with BobT. Measuring the correct quantity is the best way to go about filling with oil.
Check your SPs and exhaust for oily/sooty residue. You may still have some residual oil in the cylinders from the overfill.

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Synthetic oil or overfilling Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

10Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:35 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
K bikes were not designed to run on full synthetic. If they were then it would be specified in the owners manual.

In fact, they are designed to run on regular motor oil.  It's advisable to break a K engine in (not really an issue these days) on conventional oil until the rings have broken in.

After that it doesn't matter much if you run synthetic or dino oil.

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

11Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:43 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
duck wrote:K bikes were not designed to run on full synthetic. If they were then it would be specified in the owners manual.

In fact, they are designed to run on regular motor oil.  It's advisable to break a K engine in (not really an issue these days) on conventional oil until the rings have broken in.

After that it doesn't matter much if you run synthetic or dino oil.
+10

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

12Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:57 pm

BobT

BobT
Life time member
Life time member
No one ever designed a bike just to run on any oil. The bike was designed to transport the rider over distances, the oil specified was the best available at that time.

13Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:41 pm

Motorbike Mike

Motorbike Mike
Life time member
Life time member
I run all my K's on fully synthetic without any issues.

I wonder if the motor has pumped some oil up the breather into the airbox?
Whatever you do, get the excess oil out of the motor asap.  Very Happy

14Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:17 am

AndrewP

AndrewP
Hi Guys,

Thank you for the advice,

I did take out the excess oil once I realized my mistake, won't be using the eye glass method in future  Smile

Stayed with the Fully synthetic as after a couple of rides the smoke reduced and now stopped and she runs sweetly again. Not quite sure why the rough running but not complaining now she'e sorted herself out  Very Happy

Back to renovating her, love this bike Laughing

Andrew P

15Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:10 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Also don't believe the quantity that BMW tell you it is too much. I usually fill the filter then put 3 Lt in and run it then top it up with probably 300ml. If you put the recommended in then it will go over. Never ceases to amaze me how manufacturers can put so much thought into a vehicle and then get basic things wrong.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

16Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:49 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
I'll never get the pre-filling the oil filter thing. Sounds messy to me. The easiest way to fill the filter is to install it, put some oil in the bike and run the engine.

I usually install the empty filter, put enough oil in the bike so its in the upper half of the sight glass and then run the engine for a couple of minutes. Then I let it sit for a few minutes to let oil drain back into the sump and then top it off to about 2/3 in the sight glass. Then check it again after the next ride just to be sure.

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

17Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:57 am

BobT

BobT
Life time member
Life time member
The pre filling of the filter is to save the wear on all of your bearings when you start the engine after an oil change. The first 250 ml is better in the bearings, with a pre filled filter, rather than filling the filter with dry bearings.

18Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:07 am

Motorbike Mike

Motorbike Mike
Life time member
Life time member
BobT wrote:The pre filling of the filter is to save the wear on all of your bearings when you start the engine after an oil change. The first 250 ml is better in the bearings, with a pre filled filter, rather than filling the filter with dry bearings.
I'll second that Bob.  Very Happy

19Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:57 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
duck wrote:K bikes were not designed to run on full synthetic. If they were then it would be specified in the owners manual.
Yeah, OK.... might've been an over statement on my part but IMO you're better using a full synthetic in a K-bike. Didn't BMW market a full synthetic oil for use with the K series??

Andrew P wrote:....
Stayed with the Fully synthetic as after a couple of rides the smoke reduced and now stopped and she runs sweetly again. Not quite sure why the rough running but not complaining now she'e sorted herself out
Running rough due to excessive oil in the cylinders would be my guess.
Glad to hear she's running sweet again.

20Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:42 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
BobT wrote:The pre filling of the filter is to save the wear on all of your bearings when you start the engine after an oil change. The first 250 ml is better in the bearings, with a pre filled filter, rather than filling the filter with dry bearings.

The oil filters I buy don't have any bearings in them.

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

21Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:52 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
We always filled the filter with oil before installing it, otherwise the first strokes for the oil pump are spent filling the filter before the bearings get any oil.

In my experience too the oil quantity in the manual is significantly overstated.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

22Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:30 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
duck wrote:

Synthetic oil or overfilling 44271  and more to the point why would you want to fill a filter with dry bearings Laughing

23Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:58 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:We always filled the filter with oil before installing it, otherwise the first strokes for the oil pump are spent filling the filter before the bearings get any oil.

In my experience too the oil quantity in the manual is significantly overstated.

Every time you turn the bike off "all" the oil drains back into the sump. So every time you start the engine the bearings are without oil for the first few strokes until full oil circulation is achieved. Which of course they are not since there's a film of oil left on all of the engine internals.(Unless you let it sit for a few years.)

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

24Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:00 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
I am with Duck on prefilling the filter.  As long as the engine is restarted within a short time of the oil change there will be enough oil left in the bearings to protect them for the few seconds it takes to fill the oil filter.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

25Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:46 am

AndrewP

AndrewP
RicK G wrote:
duck wrote:

Synthetic oil or overfilling 44271  and more to the point why would you want to fill a filter with dry bearings Laughing
Wow what a can of bearings...sorry worms I've opened  Laughing Laughing Laughing

26Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:25 am

Motorbike Mike

Motorbike Mike
Life time member
Life time member
duck wrote:
92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:We always filled the filter with oil before installing it, otherwise the first strokes for the oil pump are spent filling the filter before the bearings get any oil.

Every time you turn the bike off "all" the oil drains back into the sump. So every time you start the engine the bearings are without oil for the first few strokes until full oil circulation is achieved. Which of course they are not since there's a film of oil left on all of the engine internals.(Unless you let it sit for a few years.)
But surely after the engine has been shut down the complete lube system is still full, primed and ready to pressurise immediately. I obviously get what you're saying in that the bearings still have  some oil present but it's meant to be forced lubrication.
I fill my filters because I like to give my K's every chance I can-they're precious aren't they?

27Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:22 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Mike

You are right, the entire system is still full of oil, including the filter. So even though the oil drains back to the sump the moment the starter turns you have oil pressure.

But after an oil change with an empty filter it has to pump about 250ml into the oil filter before the bearings get oil pressure. The oil pump spec gives you the flow rate for the pump.

Given that some of us are dealing with engines over 30 years old that does make a difference. Same too with achieving high mileage on engines.

Any time we ever rebuilt an engine we always turned it over by hand after everything was done with oil in to make sure oil was in every little place and being fed into the bearings before putting in the plugs and firing up. With power on you do this until the oil light would go off.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

28Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:28 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Has anyone here EVER heard of a K bike engine failing due to internal engine wear caused by lack of lubrication?  I never have.

The most common causes of K bike death are a crash, electrical issues or the rest of the bike just plain wears out.

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

29Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:21 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Duck is right on that one. My friend who has worked on Ks since they came out told me the only reason he ever had to take a head off a K was accident or external damage and not from mechanical failure.

In the normal scheme of things the oil or no oil in filter isn't going to make a huge difference. 100,000 miles is what 20 oil changes.

But if you are going on to mega miles the details are what make the difference.

I have friends who run engines into the hundreds of thousands of miles and say that this is the difference in prolonging the life of plain bearings which are found at the main bearings, big ends and camshafts. Regular oil changes,  prime the filter and an engine will virtually last forever if all the other stuff is kept in good order.

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

30Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:14 pm

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:......
I have friends who run engines into the hundreds of thousands of miles and say that this is the difference in prolonging the life of plain bearings which are found at the main bearings, big ends and camshafts. Regular oil changes,  prime the filter and an engine will virtually last forever if all the other stuff is kept in good order.
I would agree with this but there is a lot of debate as to whether to or not. My thinking is that its gotta help minimise wear in the long term. Only takes half a minute, so why not. I've always done it and will continue to do it.

I've certainly heard of valve guides wearing. Whether or not that could've been prevented or postponed by pre-filling the oil filter you'd never know. I'm not too sure but maybe even the water/oil pump gets stressed for those few seconds without oil.

K engines are very forgiving and very resilient and they give us a great ride. Why not give a little love back with some attention. Probably do you more good than the bike actually. Its a bit like foreplay. Laughing I certainly enjoy riding my Sweet Thing more knowing I've done my best to maintain her parts with some good lubrication. Just my thoughts

31Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:03 pm

JGT

JGT
Platinum member
Platinum member
Changed the oil and filter this morning, filling filter before replacing. Started on 'choke' and it took 4 seconds before oil light went out with a drop in revs as pressure built up. Bike had stood 12 hours since last use.

32Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:29 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
JGT wrote: Started on 'choke' and it took 4 seconds before oil light went out with a drop in revs as pressure built up. Bike had stood 12 hours since last use.
If I were changing oil in engines not run for 12 hours, I would definitely charge the filter with oil before installing it, too, but when I change oil in any engine, the engine has been run until it has warmed up. More oil flows from it faster that way. Filling an oil filter before installing it seems like a toast to the bike's faithful service. As a ritual it's appealing.

I don't love my bike; I don't have that much love to spread around. Laughing I do try to respect and accommodate its needs. That seems to be enough for both of us.

33Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:01 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Well, the obvious thing to do is a complete PITA on a brick. On the Guzzis I just pull the spark plugs and crank until the oil light goes out. You can't prime the filter on a Guzzi because the bugger's mounted the other way up compared to a brick. The Blandit can just go suffer...

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California

34Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:31 pm

Motorbike Mike

Motorbike Mike
Life time member
Life time member
Even when I've filled the filter on an oil change I never use fast idle on the first stab at the button. 
I just let it spin away until the oil pressure warning light goes out. Only then will I use the fast idle lever....but that's just me. 
We all dance to a different tune don't we? Very Happy

35Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:43 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Some of the argument probably borders on being pedantic but that's not necessarily bad.

Am I right in thinking the only bearings which are lubricated under pressure are the main bearings, big end bearings and camshaft bearings? Splash lubrication looks after everything else?

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

36Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:48 pm

k-rider

k-rider
Life time member
Life time member
i always fill the filter before installing it , just because i can , but on my toyota avensis it is not an option unless i flip the car over on the roof 😋

i believe that on many engines the oilfilter is located in such a way that prefilling is not an option , and yet most engines last as long , or longer than the rest of the car 👍

k-rider

37Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:55 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:Am I right in thinking the only bearings which are lubricated under pressure are the main bearings, big end bearings and camshaft bearings? Splash lubrication looks after everything else?
Pretty much the same on most engines.

38Back to top Go down   Synthetic oil or overfilling Empty Re: Synthetic oil or overfilling Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:16 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
He he best not mention a Kawasaki Z1 then. But as you say it's pretty much that on most engines.

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum