BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 7 of 20]

charlie99

VIP
VIP
not realy alby ...i love my rt type windshield ....it is so classic and what i fell "in love" with many years ago ...(and keeps the rain off..mostly ,,,well untill you stop ) ..yeah yeah ...we all have different dreams and desires

i guess its just my way of making things ... "different" but not hard to replicate ..should the need arise .

i have thought of taking the straight line of the underside a little further and "folding it in" to line up with the top of the crankcase ...fibreglassing required ..

but that can wait , i guess im at the stage of "confidence" in the old bird ..to put the lowers on .. after the workshop days knowing that i have to go in there for all those seals bearings etc ...that i have to do ..one day soon

but the queensland chapter meet, greet and local tour is comming up ...i should make it, i guess.. looking acheiveable at least

Life time member
Life time member
Like the look of that Charlie. I often thought of doing it
Myself but the lower fairing is so effective at keeping feet dry in the wet climate here I couldnt do it.
88KE

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
88 mate ...im really surprised with the lower fairings actually off ... the only wet i see on me in torential rain is just below the knees ...for about 4 - 5 inches ...and the tips of my feet ...erm boots

i use leather conditioner on the boots and leather jacket ..every few months ...and it does the job really well ..not much or any wetness soaks the socks at all ...except for strolling or dabing through causeways ..when the river level exceeeds the boot height ....giggle

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 Trips_26

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
boys ...at last !! the big wheel hits the tarmac....woohoo !!

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 Pics_042

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 2012-051

as many of you have seen ...i have been waiting for this for such a long time ......what do you think ...nice ?

more details comming ...in here and the wider wheels and radials thread ..(later tonight ..when my internet speed opens up )

all this has been accomplished by the fantastic friendship, enchoragement and close consulting with "gith" and the skills of "caferacer " and the local "k" enthusiasts here on the forum , who have helped me immensly along this path ..

cheers you guys ....and many thanks 85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 502531

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Great work Charlie. Sharp as a tack!

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Noice!

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
new and old ...

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 2012-049

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 2012-050

Last edited by charlie99 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
That's a great visual on why radials 'handle' so much better. With the 20 - 40mm of rain forecast for tonight and again tomorrow you might have a good chance to test it out. That old tyre would work well on a sidecar!

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Outstanding work mate!! Cool
Looking forward to the road test report!?

OG

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
i have a big smile on my face ....

im glad and appreciative that we had others to follow in the conversion

with known issues and preventative action being planned .it has all come together rather nicely .

Life time member
Life time member
Guest in the House wrote:Noice!

Yeah....Rilly Noice! Looks so much meatier on the rear view.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K75RTP - 1994

beanoldboy

beanoldboy
Life time member
Life time member
that rear tyre looks excellent mate, much more confidence inspiring than the previous racing slick eh?

http://www.airware.com.au

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
Charlie i think you hold the record for most wear out of a shinko brand rear tyre. Smile

Looks the goods now.

Don't give in to the Black Dog!
"A Zorst, a zorst my kingdom for a Zorst"

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 170874

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
so ..went for a good ride today ...constantly raining yes

the net effect of all my work in recent times is simply amazing

the rear tyre has stabilised the whole thing ..,,the demon out the front seems matched but i havent pushed it hard yet .....paddling round for the first 100 k s or so treating it all with respect in the rain .

the engine runs so well with harmonic vibrations minimised since the throttle body rubber fixes , the suspension is great , the lower fairings add another aspect to the whole deal .

funny! ,,road undulations and holes in the surface arent noticed much at all now, pitching into a corner has me over predicting the rate and amount of lean i need to put on, as it fluidly changes direction readily ...so well .

grip ...well thats another story ...there is masses of it and all confidence inspiring .

waiting for the oportunity to push the hills up to mt nebo, mt glorius then on to mt me and the track up to melany for assesment .

all looking verry positive .

thanks for all the help guys

(just writing this down somewhere ....new tyre installed at 183600 or there abouts )

Last edited by charlie99 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
Good Result!!! GO GERTY GO!!!!!

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
G'day Charlie , good to see it all together , packing me daks a bit now on how I'm going to get clearance on the left centre stand foot without your rad mod ( how much has GITH got ? ) , how does it feel tipping in left & right with the extra offset to the left ? .

Well Done !

JR Melbourne Australia

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
g'day jr ...

useing the old foot weight transfer method, she mooves in either direction readily and i havent noticed any amount of resistance to laying over in either direction .

i figer that the larger footprint of the radial design than the crossply is responcible for this ,,,as i too was concerned about the offset to the left .

hope that helps

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
Ta Charlie , just waiting on the Avon to wear itself out and I'm next !

JR

Melbourne Australia

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
JR, have a read of the Wider Wheels & Radial Tyres on a K100 post to see the details of what I did to alleviate centre stand clearance issues....change it to a K1100 version and grind about 3mm off the inside of the left foot. It looks about like Charlie's does, though his is quite heavily reinforced.

I don't have a picture available today but we built up a new R1200GS at work with 17" R1200S wheels (from 150mm rear tyre to 180mm), underseat Fallert
exhaust, etc., and painted it in the customer's choice of three colours. It
looks good, and the rear wheel is offset 14mm! There's no way round it. Did it muck up the handling? Not according to me, the master technician or the customer himself. I'll post a pic at some stage.

Rick G once mentioned drag bikes having to have extremely accurate alignment or they'd go awry. That is probably true with very high horespower vehicles that are being launched. On a 110hp DOHC R1200GS, coming out of a bend on a country road or leaning into a roundabout, there is no sensation of pull or extra effort having to be applied, one way or another, same for our bikes.

Now I have removed the 2mm offset spacer and shaved most of the aluminium rib off the inside of the swingarm where the tyre gets closest, for about 20mm. I have plenty (>2mm) of clearance and a finger's width on the exhaust side, due to the extra width of the Motad. It changed nothing in the handling department.

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
Ta G I T H ,
I'm gunna make it happen !

JR

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
decided to start ripping off the yellow paint under the city paniers ...as it just shows through the top layers too well with a slight chip or scratch .

i think the gloss of the yellow is part to blame and the lack of coats of paint over it .....but anyhow sanded off the bumper black topcoat and got rid of the gloss finnish of the yellow ...

a couple of coats of primer grey ..should hide the bleed through ...all ready for same colour as fairings ...to come

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 2012-060

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Nice work mate! Cool I really like the looks/size of those city bags and I'm bettin they will look outstanding when resprayed with the rest of the old girl!?

OG

Life time member
Life time member
The primer blends in Charlie. That'll keep you right for now .
88KE

K75RTP - 1994

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
to use the vernacular "sunday bloody sunday " wont mean much to some, but for many of us it emotes the memory of riding bikes on the weekend care of a fabulous movie some years back

well today gith and myself hit the hills on the "two phat tyred ladies"

for gith it was to test out the new avons(edit) contis (oops) ....they look real smart .....and for me to put some killometers on that big rear tyre .

leaving his place and heading over some country backroads ...got me worried as i travelled over new uneven surfaces ...more than once i had to stop and check the rear end for anything loose or a deflating tyre ,,,so bad was the traction on the new rear end components ....

honestly it felt weird as hell ...

i summised after a few ks that the feeling i was getting was something like the front was holding well but the rear was falling into corners with some weird geometry characteristics that i hadnt experienced before ...

i can tell you lots of puckering was going on back there even around rather predictable corners ...

well it turned out to be a glorious day and we pushed on ...finally getting to the big hills .firstly mt mee then samford up to mt glorious ....ever more pushing the envelope into corners on the tightening goat track leading up the hill ...

we decided to venture further over glorious to the far side ...(full of nasty little hairpins speckled road vision of sunlight through the darkened canopy and awesome descent to the valley floor) things were getting better for old gerty ...with a more sure foothold on the tarmac .... phew ...

a breif stop and back up the hill, fanging it around corners and pushing the old girl hard throught the maze of corners and uphill grade ....past glorious and onto mt nebo village ....all the while things are settling in real nice

i came to me a little while latter that my 200 or so killometers that i did last weekend was in the wet ....and i took it rather easy ...knowing i had new rubber a wheel and geometry i couldnt predict from experience ..

i guess al those killometers hadn't scrubbed up the tyre at all ...and now with enthusiasm i had done a great job ....with lots of enchouragement at taking off the top layer of skitish film off the tyre. gith leading the way .

the descent from nebo -glorious back to samsonvale was awesome ...with gith leading out and really stretching the apex and cornering of the "red rs".... he too, now able to push hard with his rubber chaffing up nicely .

wow this is going better now ....and i have to recommend the job to others ...after nearly thinking earlier today i had a major issue

pics below ...chaffing up the rear ....some evidence of chicken strips ...at last ....and no bottoming out ...thats a plus

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 %3Ca%20href=85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 2012-061</A>

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 2012-062

Last edited by charlie99 on Sun May 06, 2012 5:25 am; edited 3 times in total

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Them was Contis, Charlie. Avon make makeup for ladies. Very Happy

What a fantastic ride! I would never look back and highly recommend this tyre and wheel combo upgrade to anyone wanting a sweeter over-the-road feeling beneath them.

Just wait til you get a radial up the front too, Chaz. It'll really come together then.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
its been pretty cool round here last few nights ...and poor old gerty has been sitting idle for the last few weeks

took her to work most of this week to let her breath some ..,and heading out tommorrow for an adventure

thought i should do some of the maintenance that i have prommised myself

whacked the new (old ) disks on and went to change the pads ....bugga.. they were at least 2 mm wider than the caliper receivers. i checked the numbers ...were similar, but not the same ....what to do ....get out the old grinder and get rid of a bit ....

the pads snug fitting nicely now ..went to put the wheel back on ....shoot !!! ..look what i found

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 2012-082

ouch ...not going to chance it ...grabbed the wheel and old (ex gith) radial and sprinted out to goodna ..hoping to find the "passionate tyre guy" with doors still open .

(saturdays on public holiday weekends ussually see everybody pack up early , getting ready for the extra days off )

finally a win ...quick change and balance and home again (10 bucks lighter ) and on she goes ...ready for tomorrows venture.

the old demon has served well and whilst i could have still got a couple of thousand more killometers out of her ..(now in excess of 20,000) i wasnt going to chance that cut mark ....the tyre guy said no worries ...but im way too carefull about such matters ...prefering to retire her than spend a couple of weeks recovering at home (if she let go ) .

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
Good thing you were doing work on the old girl Charlie.
Not worth thinking about the dramas if you hadn't seen it. Shocked

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 170874

Life time member
Life time member
I wouldn't be happy knowing I was depending on that either and the fact you've already got 20k out of the tires softens the blow. A new tyre is cheaper than treatment if the old one let go. Good job you found it.
88KE

K75RTP - 1994

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
after a good days ride along with caferacer ....up to albys place for secret modifications ...

just arrived home and droped the bike ... verry embarassing as i couldnt pick it back up by myself ...

i park on a small platform so it wont dig itself a hole and fall off the centre stand ...but when the whole thing goes belly up ...its exactly that ....crikey .

sighs ...oh well, a new right hand mirror pod will have to be sourced... lucky the mirror is still ok

blasted over balenced whilst pulling up the centre stand ...me and the bike went thata ways .....oopph ...
i wasnt letting go, but ended up tumbling over the bike and landed on my feet ....what the !!!

gith was a happy chappy tonight after a day out with his mob

alby has a smile a mile wide ...

nicky is sore but recovering

caferacer was pleased for the day out ...even thought it was raining

i was doing real good till this .. 85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 178468

just another day in aussie i guess

enjoy blokes .....85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 112350

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Oh, poor Charlie........good to hear that it was only the mirror pod
(and pride) that was hurt.
Could have been lot worse.........I`ll guess.

Mrs. Fortuna doesn`t always play the cards right.........
balance it with the joyful weekend.

Life time member
Life time member
charlie99 wrote:

ended up tumbling over the bike and landed on my feet ....what the !!!

enjoy blokes .....85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 112350

9.8 for artistic merit cheers !

Could've been worse Charlie - ya could've had an audience!!

Hope the bike's ok other than the mirror.

K75RTP - 1994

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
poor old gerty got off second best ...the friendly folks next door helped me get her upright ....by lifting by the screen .....eeeeeek !!

oh well here we go again !

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 2012-084

wont post all the details but rebuilding the top fairing mounts again

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 2012-085

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 2012-086

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 2012-088

Life time member
Life time member
Geez Charlie - That looks nasty! Gerty must have had a hard landing. PM sent.

88KE

K75RTP - 1994

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Sorry to hear that Charlie.
I think you are ready for a side car. Very Happy

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 Frog1585 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 Logo2101986 k75, 1985 K100rt, 1985 K100rt/EML GT2 sidecar, 1999 K1200lt/Hannigan Astro Sport sidecar.

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
D**n, sorry to hear that mate! Sad I'm sure you'll have her looking better than before in short order though!!

OG

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
Sorry to hear about your double somersault with half pike Charlie, pics look nasty.
I'm sure you'll have her right as rain asap, give me a holler if you need anything.
All that care and attention you have been lavishing on Gerty you would think she would have more sense than to throw you around like that.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
just playing with old gerty after a few weeks away for work ,,,,and self imposed quarenteen (got the flu)

the screen cleaned up nicely with a lot less yellow in the finish after a polish up with "brasso" and a plastics polish

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 2012-090

rewelding the inner liner that snapped durring the tumble

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 2012-091

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 2012-092

all just works ...in progress to getting gerty back and looking good

Is Brasso better than Silvo? ( ie: more abrasive?) I was having a go at cleaning up a spare screen here the other week without any particular result, and certainly not like yours. !
Sean.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
also rebuilt the mirror pod .... thingy ...lots of heat and plastic smell all over the place ...from 5 distinct bits to one solid mess ...grin

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 2012-093

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 2012-094

i dont know seani ...just worked for me ....i had seen it done before ....cut number 2 paint polish kinda works too ...but nowhere as good as the brasso

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Crazy Frog wrote:Sorry to hear that Charlie.
I think you are ready for a side car. Very Happy

dunno bert ....but seriously thinking about some form of pop down outriggers ......crikey im a c klutz ..

Life time member
Life time member
Saxon7 wrote:Is Brasso better than Silvo? ( ie: more abrasive?) ...
Sean.

I think so Sean (The silvo relies more on a chemical reaction). Since I first did my screen lots have people have said to me about brasso and all said it seems to work well.

Charlie-what plastic/donor material did you use on the mirror? Also what plastic polish did you use as a finish on the screen?

Last edited by 88KE on Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : crappy typing)

K75RTP - 1994

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
dont laugh 88 ....but the remains of an old computer fan ....the thermoplastic seems a good match for the material , for me the 120cm computer fan was only a couple of bucks (at the computer markets -second hand anyhow ) it was put out of service when the bearings have dried out and become noisy

the polish was "meguiars plastx"

Life time member
Life time member
I ain't laughin...I'm well impressed. I tried repairing a rear indicator mount but I just couldn't find the right type of plastic - they all turned crumbly when they cooled. I've got an old fan in the garage waiting for the next time tho'. Onya!

K75RTP - 1994

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Nice work and good to know mate. Cool I got a few friends who roll their own computers and i'll have to pick up a few old fans from them for the stash! Smile

OG

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
had a great surprise today ...about 7 am ish ...young alby sent a sms ...."im comming your way for a ride" ..

for many of us round here, it has been an interesting few weeks of wet and cold weather ....and i was looking forward to this special and unexpected surprise .

an hour or so later ..a white rs is cruising round the local area looking for my place amongst the maze of small avenues ...

a familiar face puled up ...with greetings ....but not all happy ...

the bike was running but not at all well ...nothing you could put your finger on exactly but lacking that smooth and regular tickover,

what the ???

alby reported that before his trip that he needed to wind the idle adjust out quite a bit to acheive succesfull running ..(after a couple of weeks of idly sitting in the shed )

in any case we thought we should investigate ...

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 2012-095

we tested the high tension leads , coils and connections to them ....i had suspected an air leak in the inlet path ...somewhere ...crikey everthing was looking ok , including the crankase vent to plenum (highly suspect )

refitted the injection computer connector after a clean up and deoxit process ...and puled the plugs to verify that they were all firing at least .

didnt take a pic of the plugs ...but a reddish burn colour was evident ,,,something i have never seen before .

still sounding a little off ...

last thing i could think was to take the the hall effects cover off and adjust the timing . adjusting it to a previously "marked timing position" resulted in a solid rev increase and a far better stable idle process

here is where we mooved the sensor position to , to achieve this

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 2012-096

to me this looks rather ...um.. "advanced " (in timing terms ) i had expected the central cover plate to line up with the engine casting markings, more precisely .

but this is a mystery ....why would a well runing engine ...now require a severe retarding of ignition timing ...for no partcular reason to acheive good running ?

could this be an effect of ethanol additive fuel... um ...vapouring off ,,over the duration of inactivity ?

in any case ,,the modification proved a good result ...and we took a ride down to see caferacer ...and his recent paint and modification to the now naked 88lt .

chat , banter , technical advice and good comeraderie with our ol mate , rounded off a good day ,alby still travelling north west , homeward bound .

but ...wow ....what an oddity

there is something to be learned here ...some where ...when we get to the bottom of it..

Last edited by charlie99 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:59 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : because im retarded ....giggle)

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for the help charlie..new Plenum pipe orderd anyways...

Good to see Caferacer again too...was that a bit Shiny alloyleft on his bike??

Now to get to the bottom of it..WHERE IS THAT SHOVEL!!!

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Huh, reddish brown mate and retarded the timing to get her to run better? Bad gas maybe?? I'm scratching my head on this one... let us know what you guys discover when you get to the bottom of it!

OG

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
just thinking aloud here ...alby also mentioned white smoke at some point ....

hey alby mate ....have we got water in the tank ? and now fuel filter etc ???

certainly might explain the bad running ? and we didnt check .

Brickee

Brickee
Silver member
Silver member
85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 2012-096

Question, if the timing chain is going counterclockwise, wouldn't your moving the plate clockwise advance the timing? Not trying to contradict, just wanting clarification. Otherwise I retarded my timing when I wanted to advance it. Question

The good news is, I no longer have senior moments. The bad news is, now it's a constant state of mind.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yep your probably right brikee didnt notice the direction of the rotation ...but it does make sence that it is going that way , i know that it draws from the cams then the tensioner on the "slack side " .

thanks for the heads up

ive edited the post to reflect the direction change

Brickee

Brickee
Silver member
Silver member
Oh good, this is one time I didn't screw up. But, I'd still like to know what the optimum place to set the HES plate is without the official BMW tools, if that's a possibility. Question Or, is it just trial and error?

The good news is, I no longer have senior moments. The bad news is, now it's a constant state of mind.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum