BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 8 of 20]

Brickee

Silver member
Silver member
Oh good, this is one time I didn't screw up. But, I'd still like to know what the optimum place to set the HES plate is without the official BMW tools, if that's a possibility. Question Or, is it just trial and error?

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
i hooked up a timing light ...but couldnt see any reference spots straight away ...but then again i didnt look real hard in behind the "hes" plate ...im sure there is a routine for it ..we mooved the plate to an already marked position , after marking where the position for start was (black marks )

a timing light with adjustable advance would be real helpfull for this process (which i have read about before in here ) there are a couple of marks in that hole ...but in advance its kinda hard to judge, the adjustable timing light would let you line up exactly

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Brickee

Brickee
Silver member
Silver member
I tried that on the #1 cylinder. Trouble is, you can't see back in there enough to get a reference. I know the one major notch is for TDC, do you know what's the timing is on the other notch that's there?

The good news is, I no longer have senior moments. The bad news is, now it's a constant state of mind.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I always line up the cutaway and the half moon and that is within 1-2 deg.
4 deg advance gives a lot better low end torque but it won't meet the EPA requirements. 85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 8 652573

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Brickee wrote: I know the one major notch is for TDC, do you know what's the timing is on the other notch that's there?
V notch = TDC, U notch = 24 degrees BTDC (maximum advance).

This would keep you occupied for some time......................
and the unanswered question is,,,how many degrees.

Brickee

Brickee
Silver member
Silver member
A piccy of what GITH ended up with would be helpful, if it's still available.

The good news is, I no longer have senior moments. The bad news is, now it's a constant state of mind.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
that could take a while ...gith is on the other side of the world and the bike is here ....never did see his setup

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Just as a general observation, I once mistakenly filed the bike with E10 fuel at Wauchope and it ran like a pig for days.Ended up draining the tank in Port M and pulling the plugs out, which also had a reddish brown colour.
Sean.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
thanks seani ...im sure alby will be on the case .

i think i just didnt account for the white smoke that alby spoke of ....as none was visible to me

more than likely a bad load of fuel ....with water ?

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
If it had E10 and sat for a while it would absorb a heap of water and with the weather we have had here that is very likely. Then it will run like a dog.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
I am well on the way to getting this engine sorted!!! I set things back
the way it was before we made adjustments and went from there. I was
almost certain this time I could hear a metal clicking noise from the
left hand side near the starter motor.

I wondered if it was a
short from thte coils to the engine?? Took the coil cover off shut shed doors and turned
off the lights and fired her up. Lumpy splutter and gave her full choke
and there it was..a loong thin flash of blue light!!!

Pulled the coils off and there was a tell tale scoring right behind the coils. A fair amount of arc burns.
85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 8 Resize78

It
seems I had not put the plug leads in tight enough and the back one was
pushed off by the coil cover going on. I must have done this again at charlies place. I tried to do this manualy and
got the same result. I also believe that Rick and Saxon were right as well. I drained her out and put 98 in to be sure.

Got it running RIGHT now..Just back from 300k trip. Now to leave this thread for Charlies Renovation.

Last edited by Albyalbatross1 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : uuummmmm duhhh no not right)

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yahoo ...great find alby ...and we were going to pull those coils out and have a look too... wonder what stopped us ?

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
Too keen to get to Bert2.0!!!!!

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
Not my fault..... Good to see you tracked the problem down thoug Alby.

It was a great visit too by the way, Boris is now all back together.
Charlie and Gerty even made a quick visit today, good to see more K's parked in my driveway.

Don't give in to the Black Dog!
"A Zorst, a zorst my kingdom for a Zorst"

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 8 170874

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
off line for a while ...back when i can

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Missing you already. Sad

Paul.

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
So who is gunna sport the cheesy Kinda Grin now???????????

See you when you can make it back!!!

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
back again ....

thanks for the thoughts blokes ...

dontcha hate ....weird weeks of unknown family matters bouncing round the finances...the flu stuffing up plans and available work hours ....rip off wreckers yards ....

just a few months to catch up i recon

oops..... rant over !

better go for a good long ride to sort out the old head

old gerty just turned over 189.000 ks this week ...yippee

but engine output things need fixing purdy soon

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
Do you mean the Output Shaft....???©

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
maybe alby...have a huge vibration on decelleration ...more likely the clutch plate to g/box input splines ol mate

could be the g/box input shaft bearings ?

a pull apart might be in order eh?

but not this week .....still to fix the car ...and investigate blakeys job ...i feel a trip up to beerwah comming up

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
charlie99 wrote:maybe alby...have a huge vibration on decelleration ...

Could also be the U-joint.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Inge K. wrote:
charlie99 wrote:maybe alby...have a huge vibration on decelleration ...

Could also be the U-joint.

I was thinking that myself but you beat me to it Inge.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hmm could be ...i guess, i cant discount it till i test it properly but definatly feels and sounds as if its comming from the clutch area, behind the engine rather that further back ...it doesnt seem to follow road speed ...but engine revs

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
"i feel a trip up to beerwah coming up"

Sorry to inform you Charlie, but nothing has happen yet...still sorting out the paint and getting a few more bits. That and finding time to paint some bits.

Sorry to hear about your vibration problem. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
Sorry to hear about gerty's vibe problem. Maybe she caught something when you were here last. Think there is some sort of K virus in my shed.
Hope you get it sorted. On another note did you track down a gearbox for your car.
I havent had a chance to call my mate yet but i could call him tomorrow if you like.

Don't give in to the Black Dog!
"A Zorst, a zorst my kingdom for a Zorst"

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 8 170874

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
found one bert ...thanks for the thought mate, a work mate gave me a lift to pick up a (hopefully ) better option this morning . mine has always had a buggered second gear synchro since i bought it over 180,000 ks ago ...and the main issue of the clutch fork to presure plate activation arm appears good , especially with a little clean up and lube with the good stuff of the pivot area contact points .

possibly im over sensative to the vibe issue ....i still havent mounted up the fairings properly ...there is noticeable vibrations happening at all sorts of revs ...not road speed .....so im guessing i need to do a propper remount soon as i can ...

cheers and thanks again

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
caferacer62 wrote:Sorry to hear about gerty's vibe problem. Maybe she caught something when you were here last. Think there is some sort of K virus in my shed.
Hope you get it sorted. On another note did you track down a gearbox for your car.
I havent had a chance to call my mate yet but i could call him tomorrow if you like.
You didn,t DROP!!! something on Gerty did you Bert??

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Yeah he's got some sort of virus in that shed my K11 caught it and went all wobbly at his front gate and fell over and got vicious and stabbed me with the clutch lever and kicked me in the back of the leg so bad I could hardly walk.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
woohoo ...gotta handbrake at last and gotta synchro on second gear, clutch is fixed but found gearbox dry as a weed in the simpson desert (lucky i took it real easy for the first couple of days )
added a couple of litres of transmax 80-90
i guess a weekend spit and polish is in order
yay ! the "rolla" lives again !!!!

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
took a bit of a turn last night ......things maybe slow round here for a few days

hope to catch up with you all in the forum ...when i can ...

cheers

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
looks like we better go get drunk together charlie i just busted my arm again.

Halo

Halo
Life time member
Life time member
Charlie & Rick I dont understand can you please elaborate

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Halo wrote:Charlie & Rick I dont understand can you please elaborate

see my new thread jason

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
jjust an update ....just a bit of a scare for me ...thought i was having another stroke....turns out its vertigo ...although i dont know how ..but i have been pushing things too hard lately ...work on weekends (bloody car ) and everything else (with the death not too long ago) the flu and little sleep i guess ....guess i just needed a wake up call for relax time

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 8 2012-073

Last edited by charlie99 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

kfilipow

kfilipow
Silver member
Silver member
Get well ! Charlie and Rick.

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
That is excellent news Charlie. Noone needs a stroke, let alone another one.
Let's hope Rick has the same luck with a misdiagnosis though from what he wrote I would not be holding my breath.

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
even taking a deep breath is painfull, i have an enormous bruise just starting to appear on my left side just below my rib cage. i don't dare laugh, its a whole new experience in pain.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
another milestone

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 8 2012-022

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Glad to hear your taking some downtime for yourself Chaz. The old bod needs a little tlc every now and than just like the bikes. Very Happy Is that mileage fairly accurate on the old girl!?

OG

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
thanks og ...

the speedo has been working well for me mate ...that deoxit worked our well for the times it became intemitent ....it is what it is, i guess .

i bought her with151,000 or 153,000 there abouts ..is seems to be getting a long while ago now ...but have been so pleased with the old girl and the "getting back" to appreciation of something i loved doing and with some excellent mates along the way and in here .

just heading home from nz today , a casual 3 day service job turned into a 10 day stress blowout with 2 clients 7 sites and a troublesome upgrade process ...tommorrow i better fire up gerty and head for the hills.

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Nice. Enjoy yourself mate! Very Happy

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
was thinking about a ride out from glenn innes ...more than a few hundred ks south of here with an old mate ...but tiredness got the better of me ....went back to bed about 5.30 and slept soundly ......alternativly after a late rise , took a ride up to "the glorious cafe " ...all sorts of beasts hang out there on weekends ....was a lift to the soul to see others also enjoying the fine day here in south east queensland

round trip but a mere 140 ks up hills and corners ...nice stuff

back to catch up duties

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
went a bit mad tonight ....

some paint .....after seeing all the brilliant work going on from all quarters

yeah its not proffesional ....its paint ....

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 8 2012-024

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Well done, Charlie. 85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 8 112350

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Aww Charlie don't tell me you gonna have both the panniers the same colour, we wont know ya.

Life time member
Life time member
Looks great from here Charlie Cool (but that is only 16,643kms away Wink )

Good progress and good to see you got out for a spin after the trip to the land of the long white cloud!

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Good to see you're getting out for a scoot now and again, Charlie. Them pannier lids and mirror pods never looked brighter! Cheers from faraway. Hey, if you ever wanna take a ride in a very different place, I've got that Big GS just sitting here...

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Looking good Chaz! I really need to see if I can find some of those city bags.

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
Good stuff!! as rick says...we wont know you!!! I got some more paintwork for you here if you want to go abit more mad!!

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Well done Charlie. We will need to be wearing sunnies when we meet up in November.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hopefully these new front wheel bearings will get me to the next meet ....without any gravel rash stan

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 8 2012-026

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum