BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Oil in the coolant. Empty Oil in the coolant. Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:31 pm

KevH

KevH
Gday all, I am in the process of putting my old 8/85 K100RS back on the road after i parked her 21ys ago.  I have had it running and with usual issues.  ( minor rat damage, speedo gears, master cylinders etc)  
I ran her up on the stand while testing the rear brakes for sticking on.  I didn't notice the fan had not kicked in until the over-temp light came on.  Yes was hot but plenty of coolant.  A check of the coolant showed it was down a little, nothing obvious in the oil sight glass.  When i topped it up via the radiator cap i noticed a few small blobs of black/dark brown oily traces on the top of the coolant.  
The oil/water pump hole appears to be clear.  (stuck a plastic zip tie in there and no coolant or oil traces there).

I have ordered now water/oil pump seals but am a little concerned that i may have injured the head gasket.

Looking for some ideas please on what to test or which way to go?

Cheers
Kev

2Back to top Go down   Oil in the coolant. Empty Re: Oil in the coolant. Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:49 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
It's the water pump. K bike head gaskets don't fail.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

3Back to top Go down   Oil in the coolant. Empty Re: Oil in the coolant. Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:54 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
duck wrote:It's the water pump. K bike head gaskets don't fail.
Tell that to Smithy Very Happy but it is the exception and will almost certainly be the oil/coolant pump.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   Oil in the coolant. Empty Re: Oil in the coolant. Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:19 am

KevH

KevH
Thank you. I'm hoping to get a look at it soon. Work has been getting in the way.. 🙄. I'm looking forward to getting back on the road.
New fan and coolant hoses on the way. Thought I would cover those bases while the radiator is out. (The old fan has fried a brush)

Cheers
Kev

5Back to top Go down   Oil in the coolant. Empty Re: Oil in the coolant. Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:20 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Rick G wrote:
duck wrote:It's the water pump. K bike head gaskets don't fail.
Tell that to Smithy Very Happy but it is the exception and will almost certainly be the oil/coolant pump.

I do know one head gasket failure - at 215K miles on a K1100LT that spent life dragging around a hack.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

6Back to top Go down   Oil in the coolant. Empty found it........ Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:14 am

KevH

KevH
Oil in the coolant. 20230910

Just waiting on parts from Western Australia...  god bless Aussie Post.    The hole was blocked also,  hence no warning sign of the leak.    Cheers all
Kev

Oil in the coolant. 20230911
Oil in the coolant. 20230912

7Back to top Go down   Oil in the coolant. Empty Re: Oil in the coolant. Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:29 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Yeuk. Looks like a PO has been in there and couldn't be arsed to fit a new seal. Search the forum on how to do it BEFORE trying to have a go. Two things will happen otherwise:

- you won't get all the old seal out
- you'll break the new seal trying to seat it.

Here you go: https://www.k100-forum.com/t886-oil-water-pump-rebuild

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

8Back to top Go down   Oil in the coolant. Empty Re: Oil in the coolant. Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:20 pm

KevH

KevH
Thank you... full kit coming and with your info and Dr Google, I will give it a crack. Thanks again.

9Back to top Go down   Oil in the coolant. Empty Re: Oil in the coolant. Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:32 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Once it's all back together give the coolant system a couple of flushes with a non foaming detergent like a dishwasher detergent to get any oil residue of the internal surfaces. The oil wont dissolve in the coolant and slows heat transfer to the coolant.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

10Back to top Go down   Oil in the coolant. Empty Re: Oil in the coolant. Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:52 am

KevH

KevH
Copy that mate, will do.

Cheers 🍻

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum