BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Hello From Australia Empty Hello From Australia Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:41 am

Halo

Halo
Life time member
Life time member
Hello,

I am new to BMW K100's however brought a $500 special sitting for several years with 101k's(if you can trust the speedo don't know yet) 1984 RS last month extremely weathered and dropped off the stand several times but looks like never dropped on the road. Has never been started by me yet, has bold tyres and oil leaks from all the problem spots (about 1/2 a litre on the ground with looks like slipping clutch as well).

I have had numerous jap bikes all my life namely high performance ones however via reading about these K 100's & dismantling this one have instantly fallen in love with this totally different concept bike.

Ever since I went to the local BMW shop for advice and they told me the $500 I paid for the 84 model was $500 to much due to this early models inherant faults I have made a promise to myself a shall restore this bike.

Since then I have done extensive reading (thanks to this forum as well) on the issues & generally about this bike and am in the middle of stripping every part down for inspection and replacement. My mission is to restore each part both mechanically & cosmetically back to its former glory and with my small workshop tools sandblasters etc I hope to achieve this.

Lucky for me Motobins UK has most parts at very reasonable prices and with the bike now stripped down and 600 pounds of all of the trouble/ rubber bits on the way ($1000's cheaper than here in Aussie) I shall give this bike my best shot.

Last edited by halo_player on Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:00 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistakes)

2Back to top Go down   Hello From Australia Empty Re: Hello From Australia Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:15 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Hi Halo welcome to the forum. Looks like a big job ahead but very
satisfying when it's done and you know every nut and bolt by name.
Start a thread sometime about the resto with heaps of piccies.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Hello From Australia Empty Re: Hello From Australia Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:48 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
wow halo ....thats a big but rewarding job

i think you have a friend in here that has done nearly the same ....look for albyalbatros

i have to say his bike purrs ... and he always has a smile on his face as each little issue has been resolved .

good luck with the resto ...and like kfreak said ....we would love to share your journey through some pics ...

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

4Back to top Go down   Hello From Australia Empty Re: Hello From Australia Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:46 am

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome halo-

You are in for fun time with her. Please post those pics as you go!! Also look for Old goats 85 rs restoration. (Now there's some perfectionisim Wink )

Halo, I am almost certain I would not have learnt to diagnose, prove and repair if it was not for the support, good nature, guidance and dare I say it, "WISDOM" of the members of this forum.

Hope you find bringing her back to life a rewarding experience.

ps. Have you got yourself one of THESE ???

5Back to top Go down   Hello From Australia Empty Re: Hello From Australia Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:51 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Albyalbatross1 wrote:Also look for Old goats 85 rs restoration. (Now there's some perfectionisim Wink )

+1

and a good mate

6Back to top Go down   Hello From Australia Empty Re: Hello From Australia Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:01 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
"ps. Have you got yourself one of THESE ???"

Just for you Halo, a special introductory price of 6 easy payments of $39.95 plus postage and handling. If you buy 5, we'll throw one in for free. Order now, and we'll include a set of steak knives. Our operators are not standing by for your call.

Welcome Halo...

Hey Alby, how many have you flogge er...sold?

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

7Back to top Go down   Hello From Australia Empty Re: Hello From Australia Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:52 am

Halo

Halo
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for all of your support I will post photos this week and looking forward to your comments.
It is a huge buzz restoring a K bike from ground up but just as large to share the experience with others in the forum

8Back to top Go down   Hello From Australia Empty Re: Hello From Australia Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:16 am

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
blakey wrote:..

Hey Alby, how many have you flogge er...sold?

ERRR UMMM NONE!!!!!!! 🤡

9Back to top Go down   Hello From Australia Empty Re: Hello From Australia Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:26 am

Lazyboy

Lazyboy
Silver member
Silver member
Hi Halo, I have had my 84 RT since new and it is still going strong. If there are any inherent faults they cant be too serious as my old K has never left me stranded on the road You are going to have great enjoyment from yours. HALF THE FUN OF OWNING A K BIKE IS LOOKING AFTER IT.

10Back to top Go down   Hello From Australia Empty Re: Hello From Australia Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Halo

Halo
Life time member
Life time member
Fantastic Lazyboy what other kind of bike could you have for all those years and still say without a major rebuild that it is still going strong. Reasons like that is why I want to do mine proud, best part for me is I have never ridden a K bike yet.

11Back to top Go down   Hello From Australia Empty Re: Hello From Australia Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:50 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Hey Halo,

They are certainly different from Japanese sport bikes, but it sounds like you're already starting to think in German. Definitely post your work in the restoration section as we all luv a good rebuild!

OG

12Back to top Go down   Hello From Australia Empty Re: Hello From Australia Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:58 pm

Halo

Halo
Life time member
Life time member
Yes OG agreed I have been talking with Crazy Frog and he suggest the same. I will try to do all us K riders proud.

13Back to top Go down   Hello From Australia Empty Re: Hello From Australia Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:00 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Hello From Australia 112350

14Back to top Go down   Hello From Australia Empty Re: Hello From Australia Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:44 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Halo to the forum. One saving grace that you have is that you are not a Queenslander. They are very strange up there.

15Back to top Go down   Hello From Australia Empty Re: Hello From Australia Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:57 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
I was going to say it's all the sunshine...but jeez, not lately!

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

16Back to top Go down   Hello From Australia Empty Re: Hello From Australia Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:11 am

Dennis

Dennis
Platinum member
Platinum member
Hello Halo, from Tassie. Get serious about the RS, you won't regret it, they're different but in all the best ways, miles ahead of the rest in their time. I still miss mine, always will. Take your time, we'll all help with advice, plenty of smart people here, and me as well. Best regards, Bennis.

17Back to top Go down   Hello From Australia Empty Re: Hello From Australia Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:15 am

Halo

Halo
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Bennis will do I have been checking out OG posts and his work looks really good a level of effort to aspire to.
Yes I agree there is no rush just a mostly rewarding experience ahead on a great old girl, thanks heaps for your words of encouragement .

18Back to top Go down   Hello From Australia Empty Re: Hello From Australia Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:21 pm

dee why

dee why
Gold member
Gold member
Welcome to the forum Halo and well done for taking on the "old girl" Will be following along with interest.
Cheers, dee why

19Back to top Go down   Hello From Australia Empty Re: Hello From Australia Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:29 pm

Halo

Halo
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks dee why much appreciated

20Back to top Go down   Hello From Australia Empty Re: Hello From Australia Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:59 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Halo good to have you with us.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum