BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   tranny rebuild Empty tranny rebuild Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:10 am

DRxBMW

DRxBMW
Has anyone here ever rebuilt a K 100 gearbox ? Bert?

If so, any picture dialogue I can view?

Advice on shimming is appreciated.

thanks ________________.

K whiner #86

"darKsiders were approaching
and the wind began to howl"
http://picasaweb.google.com/DRxBMW

2Back to top Go down   tranny rebuild Empty Re: tranny rebuild Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:12 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
just put "gearbox" in the search bar

alby did a rebuild ..with pics recently

hope that helps

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   tranny rebuild Empty Re: tranny rebuild Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:36 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

4Back to top Go down   tranny rebuild Empty Re: tranny rebuild Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:04 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have done a few rebuilds but have never documented them.
With the shimming I do the input shaft first by setting some preload on it. Put the new bearings on the shaft then put the shaft by itself into the housing and bolt the lid on with 4 bolts, then turn the shaft with your fingers if it spins freely see if you feel any longitudal play. If no play and a free spin then it is a few thousandth loose so you need to put some shim stock under the front bearing(about .004in) and put it back try to spin. When I say spin I mean that if you give it a rapid turn by hand it will keep turning after you stop turning it when it is right it will turn freely but wont spin (do this dry or very light machine oil)

If the shaft is tight like no turn or hard to turn back of the 4 bolts a 1/4 turn and try again then 1/2 turn and try again this will give you a guide to the correct shim to remove from under the front bearing.

You will often need a combination of shim sizes or a method of facing shims to size, once done keep a record of any altered shims as it can save a headache in later years.

The shims on the intermediate and output shaft is explained very well in the haynes manual and using a depth gauge or vernier caliper is the best way.
I have found that most of the time when the bearings are just replaced the same shims are OK but always check them. When a shaft from another box is used then the shims will most likely need adjusting.
The bearings are very consistent in size even from different manufacturers.

Feel free to PM me if you wish all help given free but with the usual disclaimers.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum