BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   trailer brakes Empty trailer brakes Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:59 am

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
with the recent inclusion of towing a trailer, has anyone had experience with various forms of trailer brake systems. 
I remember there being a 500 Enfield at the Karuah rally, with a large trailer in tow. It was fitted with some form of electric brakes to the trailer.
I'd like to provide the K with added slowing power so as to not overload the bike brakes on the downhill runs.

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
trailer brakes 10_x_110

2Back to top Go down   trailer brakes Empty Re: trailer brakes Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:37 pm

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
some research suggests additional trailer brakes can have adverse effects on the handling of the bike. should I or shouldn't I ?

2018 Kart upgrade.
trailer brakes 10_x_110

3Back to top Go down   trailer brakes Empty Re: trailer brakes Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:10 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
You certainly wouldn't anything too savage.

I've never considered brakes on my trailer.  Probably would be an advantage behind the sidecar, but I don't think I'd want them on a solo bike.  I'm not one to really load up my trailer that much anyway.

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

trailer brakes K-dogs10

4Back to top Go down   trailer brakes Empty Re: trailer brakes Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:41 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Do not use the 7" electric brakes on a bike trailer.  If you are turning on a small round about or doing a sharp turn or a U turn and touch the brake lever and the trailer brake operates it will most likely pull you over.
Dexter who manufacturer the 7" electric brakes will tell you not to use them for this very reason.
Also they very often dont brake evenly on both wheels and at speed will pull you a bit sideways when stopping and if one stops working it will more than likely cause you to be taken to a local hospital for treatment or you might even get a free helicopter ride.

Over ride Hydraulic or cable operated do work well and IMO are by far the best if not the only option

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

5Back to top Go down   trailer brakes Empty Re: trailer brakes Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:52 am

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
thanks for the thoughts so far guys.
the issue regarding trailer braking is not a major one , but I am very interested in options to assist in the slowing down process.
The bike gearing works well when used properly. 
It's good to get advice from riders like yourselves , who have many miles of towing experience. 
for now , I'll look at my loading technique to control the handling of the extra weight . but long term would be keen to try something.

" quote Rick G, 
Over ride Hydraulic or cable operated do work well and IMO are by far the best if not the only option "
are these the same as inertia brakes, where the trailer brakes are activated by the trailers own weight pushing on the drawbar ?
do you guys have brakes fitted to your trailers? if so what type?

2018 Kart upgrade.
trailer brakes 10_x_110

6Back to top Go down   trailer brakes Empty Re: trailer brakes Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:51 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
groverK wrote:Over ride Hydraulic or cable operated do work well and IMO are by far the best if not the only option "
are these the same as inertia brakes, where the trailer brakes are activated by the trailers own weight pushing on the drawbar ?
do you guys have brakes fitted to your trailers? if so what type?
Yep

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum