BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Motorbike Mike

Motorbike Mike
Life time member
Life time member
I wondered if any of our members has had any experience with the stainless steel Motad silencer for the K100 8 valve?
Do they give any performance advantage over the stock silencer aside from weight?
I do know that the Motad is approx 2kg lighter than the BMW item.

Your feedback would be appreciated,
Mike.

Last edited by Motorbike Mike on Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I spelt my own name wrong!!)

Corkboy

Corkboy
Life time member
Life time member
No performance gain that I'm aware of, but they do look a hell of a lot nicer!

Corkboy '87 K100RS SE (The black one - one of the two bikes I'm sorry I sold)
             '87 K100RS 0140995 (Gone)
             '97 K1100LT 0188024 (Gone)
             '08 K1200GT Wedge - but still a K
             '08 Transalp 700

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Mike, I've had one on my solo for 24 years and, although it needs a dyno to determine any performance difference accurately, I've never noticed any loss or gain of power.

They are not prone to splitting or cracking around the input like the standard silencer.

There was an article in the BMW Club mag recently (from Motorrad I think), testing after market silencers for some modern BM's and the conclusion was that the original equipment gave the best power output, but at the expense of extra weight. 

Paul.

Motorbike Mike

Motorbike Mike
Life time member
Life time member
sidecar paul wrote:Mike, I've had one on my solo for 24 years and, although it needs a dyno to determine any performance difference accurately, I've never noticed any loss or gain of power.

They are not prone to splitting or cracking around the input like the standard silencer.

There was an article in the BMW Club mag recently (from Motorrad I think), testing after market silencers for some modern BM's and the conclusion was that the original equipment gave the best power output, but at the expense of extra weight. 

Paul.
Hi Paul,
I've been of the opinion so some time that silencer tech has come on a long way over recent years but as a 50 something rider I remember that when I changed the exhausts on Z650's/Z1000's etc, there was a slight improvement. However, being lucky enough to also own modern bikes and having changed silencers on them, I've been disappointed with the "seat of the pants" dynamometer results which leads me back to think that up to date silencer tech has developed to the point where a change only effects noise.
As the early K's are very old technology, I did wonder if an aftermarket silencer made any difference to the bike's performance. 
Losing 2kg is a good start!

Mike.

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
I've had one on my 1987 RS for about five years now. It saved a smidge of weight, but the sound, although quiet, is less like a vacuum cleaner with a headcold than stock. The K1100 RS sidestand doesn't clear it well so I used a round grommet to act as a cushion where it comes into contact. This leaves a small stain on the pipe...not a big deal. I also prefer the round end can over the squared off OEM thingy. Best part, I got it (new in the box) for a bit over AU$300 delivered to Queensland from the UK back then.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum