BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   K100 won't idle Empty K100 won't idle Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:17 pm

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
Hey guys,

Having attempted to start my bike last week I got it to fire up but it wouldn't idle. It had the exhaust manifold on but nothing past the 4 into 1 collector. It also didn't have the fuel cap securely fastened. It would only fire on 2 or 3 of the 4 cylinders and occasionally fire on all 4. When I bought the bike it ran perfectly and turned on first time, however it has been a year since then and I've done many modifications but haven't touched the engine or its electrics. Does anyone have any suggestions or theories? Like seniors that I might have forgotten to plug in again or something. Next week I intend to try the bike with the exhaust on again.

Thanks,
DBRMN

Edit here is a YouTube video of me trying to get it to idle: 

2Back to top Go down   K100 won't idle Empty Re: K100 won't idle Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:08 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
You need the silencer on to provide back pressure for the engine.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

3Back to top Go down   K100 won't idle Empty Re: K100 won't idle Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:13 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
If it's been run recently you can start it without the exhaust. I've done it before. (By run recently I mean within the last few days. The engine doesn't have to be warm.) It's pretty dang loud without the exhaust on though.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

4Back to top Go down   K100 won't idle Empty Re: K100 won't idle Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:40 pm

MarcS

MarcS
Silver member
Silver member
I know it sounds basic but have you tried shaking the wires to the coils? Maybe go through it and clean the ground (brown wires) where they connect to the frame

5Back to top Go down   K100 won't idle Empty Re: K100 won't idle Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:03 am

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
Dai wrote:You need the silencer on to provide back pressure for the engine.
The exhaust has that much effect? So in terms of fitting an aftermarket exhaust how can you replicate the original back pressure or get close?

6Back to top Go down   K100 won't idle Empty Re: K100 won't idle Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:05 am

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
duck wrote:If it's been run recently you can start it without the exhaust.  I've done it before.  (By run recently I mean within the last few days.  The engine doesn't have to be warm.)  It's pretty dang loud without the exhaust on though.
Last time it ran was in September of last year. How does running it in the last few days change thing? It does sound amazing though worth the pain.

7Back to top Go down   K100 won't idle Empty Re: K100 won't idle Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:05 am

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
MarcS wrote:I know it sounds basic but have you tried shaking the wires to the coils? Maybe go through it and clean the ground (brown wires) where they connect to the frame
I'll give it a try thanks.

8Back to top Go down   K100 won't idle Empty Re: K100 won't idle Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:55 pm

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
Exhaust back on. Tried to start her nothing happened just turning over no spark. Turns out I firstly hadn't plugged the tank wire in and secondly hadn't fitted the fuel line lol! soo felt like a bit of a muppet. Gave the battery a bit of a charge then bam fired up, idles like a beauty. Now I need to explore an aftermarket exhaust. I want half way between the video above and the original stock dyson sound. If not leaning towards the violent raw of above. 

Thanks,

DBRMN

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum