BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Another K100RS Mirror Clip Question Empty Another K100RS Mirror Clip Question Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:56 am

Bondoggle

Bondoggle
I haven't seen this one addressed when I was searching around....

Has anyone had their mirror clips come loose and not want to stay in place?  This in turn makes the mirror come off again by barely touching it or vibration from riding.  Of the three clips on the mirror, the two closest to me both keep wanting to fall out.

What holds the mirror clips in place against their mounting points?  Is my problem with the clips themselves or the frame of the mirror pod where they sit?

I don't want to glue them in place if they are meant to be replaceable, but I've also never had them come off the mirror, either.

Thanks for any ideas.

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
As you seem to have discovered, RS mirror mounting can be very finicky.

Sometimes the mounting plate gets slightly bent, other times the clips get old.

The clips can be replaced - Part 46631455047

I use 5 minute epoxy to glue the clips in place if they're getting loose.  It holds well but can be peeled off later if needed.

Many of us use either stainless fishing leaders or bungee cord as leashes for the RS mirrors so in case they bounce or get knocked off they don't fall to the ground and break or get lost.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

yamaguzzi

yamaguzzi
Life time member
Life time member
I used the bungies  and also some silver silicone gue to seal them on to the fairing.6000 miles later they are still on tight.I had to remove them once to get at the wiring and they came apart but it took a little work , maybe 5 minutes to clean off the  dried silicone sealant . put them back on and went on a 2500 mile trip and they are still tight and it's a very clean install that looks like factory

Bondoggle

Bondoggle
I've used a piece of wire for a safety line on the mirror, so that's not an issue.

I may break down and buy some new clips and a new base plate, and see how the combination does.

I don't want to even think about adhering the pod to the fairing.

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
New clips will probably fix the problem on their own. The mounting plate very rarely wears to the point where new clips won't grip it - the cone-shaped mounts are more likely to fall out first. If that ever does happen, I've seen a repair where someone replace the mount with a carefully-shaped M6 panhead screw.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
The clips in my mirrors were so bad that they would fall off in a stiff breeze.  I cringed at the stupid price BMW demanded for new clips so I only replaced 2 in each mirror.  The improvement in security was remarkable, I can even bump into them in the garage without knocking them off now.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

Bondoggle

Bondoggle
I replaced the mounting plate and bought some extra clips.  Now I have two related problems...

My K100RS has the mirror "adapters" used on the 4-valve bikes.  When I mounted the plate on to the adapter, I may have over-tightened the bolts. It seems as though I'm having a problem mounting the mirror because I can't get the clip all the way over one of the posts.  I think the reason for this is the plate is compressing the adapter and the mirror is hitting the rubber adapter.

I also have the problem of a part I can't figure out where it came from.  It is a small ramped black rubber round washer.  There is only one, I think. The diagrams show "wave washers," but I don't think this is one of those, or is it?  Depending on the model year of the diagram, they show the wave washer inside the fairing at the nut, or between the bolt and the mounting plate.  I don't thing this part came from either place. 

Is there a change this goes between the mounting plate and the adapter to angle the mounting plate and allow space for the mirror to not hit the adapter?

Shep

Shep
Life time member
Life time member
I believe this is the latest thread on RS mirror clips so I would like to ask another question.
Before I do this I will point out that the last poster Bondoggle did not appear to get an answer to his question.
I am fighting the clips again on the K100RS and will order new ones for the loose mirror. However:
1. Do you think applying silicone around the bottom of the clip will help hold it in place or should I try to find a five minute epoxy as mentioned above by duck?
2. On my donor/project bike (1985 K100RS) the clips are solid, I mean solid,  compared with the loose ones on the 1987 K100RS. I can't move the 1985 clips while the ones on the 1987 bike fall out of their perch if I look at them too long. Was there a design change?

Thanks
Shep

poddy

poddy
Silver member
Silver member
Yep already lost count with the amount of times I've knocked them off in the garage. My answer to this was to move the toolbox.

Mick67

Mick67
Silver member
Silver member
I had been having ongoing problems with the mirrors falling off if you breathed on them. Had already replaced the fairing mounted posts years ago so ordered a set of new clips.

Each pod had one clip that was loose (ie falling out of position in the pod). I was going to change all but found that I was likely to break plastic if I tried to remove the remaining 2.

So, replaced one in each, much better. Could feel the increased 'springiness' in the new clip. The old clips were very stiff. Going on required a bit more of a whack but went on and locked in more solidly. I didnt glue the new clips in place in the pod, they seemed to sit snug in place due to the increased ..gunna invent a word...'tensilnicity' of the new clip.

I dont know if the design changed, mine is 84K but there was no way the ones that hadnt fallen out were coming out easy and probably gunna break something getting em out.

tinyspuds

tinyspuds
Life time member
Life time member
I made a triangle of inner tube with 3 holes for the posts to sit between the fairing and mirror. Harder to get the clips to engage but the mirrors have stayed solid for a couple of K miles.

Last edited by tinyspuds on Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)

2000 Hayabusa with Charnwood chair, Wasp forks and EZS wheels.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum