BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Removing fuel return check valve? Empty Removing fuel return check valve? Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:42 pm

slowandlow

Hello!
Has anyone done a removal of the fuel return check valve on the fuel tank? (OEM 16121455348)

Im doing an overhaul of my tank, doing fine so far, but im not sure about the valve, I think it has suffered galvanic corrosion, it simply wont move.

Since im not sure how it looks or is attached, I don't dare to use any great force. It looks like the valve can be unscrewed from the outside of the tank, is that correct? 

Has anyone done this, any pictures?

Thanx!
BRG/ Örjan.

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
It can be unscrewed. Many owners have repaired, modified or replaced that assembly. In the Portal section of this site is a link to the K100 Tech page which contains descriptions and instructions about K model troubleshooting, maintenance and repair. This is an article about that fitting.

Among alternatives, some owners have replaced that assembly with quick-connect fittings as the linked article describes, or have substituted petcock assemblies.

slowandlow

Hello, thanx for reply!

I don't think ill do any modifications, since the valve seems to be working. I hope I can get it off to replace the gasket.

May I ask what section of the forum you were referring to in your post? (what section, what link, what tech page?)

And also, how did you find the article about the valve modification? I tried to find topics about the valve, but didn't find what I was looking for.

Thanx!

/ Örjan.

glennpm

glennpm
Silver member
Silver member
Hi Örjan,

This is the link,. It is on this site:

http://www.kforum-tech.com/Tech-page.html

slowandlow

Excellent, thanx!

/ Örjan.

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
slowandlow wrote:Since im not sure how it looks or is attached, I don't dare to use any great force.
Apply a penetrant like Liquid Wrench or Kroll. Tap the sides of the wrench flats with a hammer or hammer and drift to loosen corrosion, then apply force.

Under the banner on this page are tabs labeled Portal, Forum and so on. Clicking on the Portal tab takes you to the link to the Tech Page link that Glenn has provided.

Click on the Profile tab then click on the Signature tab. Enter your moto's model and year of manufacture there so it will show up as a reference beneath every post you make.

slowandlow

It worked! I did apply some (a lot...) WD40 and several days later I could unscrew the check valve with ease! It looks ok and in good working order, but the threads in the tank had a fair amount of corrosion.

slowandlow

ps i did add my bike under "profile", but it doesn't show in my posts. Will it take a while before activated?

/öv

9Back to top Go down   Removing fuel return check valve? Empty Re: Removing fuel return check valve? Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:04 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
slowandlow wrote:ps i did add my bike under "profile", but it doesn't show in my posts. Will it take a while before activated?
Put its year and model in the Signature section of your profile.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum