BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   K1100 stopped, wont start Empty K1100 stopped, wont start Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:10 pm

Rockman

Life time member
Life time member
Ive been fiddling with this 93 K1100 for a while, and yesterday finally got it going. Apart from the usual cloud of smoke and a spray of wasp nests from the muffler it settled down pretty quickly. I gave it  a few revs then let it idle. After maybe 8-10 mins max it suddenly cut out.

Today I tried again, checked all the electrical connections etc. Still no go.
Some details
- The fuel pump runs when I first turn it on then stops. Normal I think. Plenty of fuel BTW.
- On the dash I have the oil pressure, charge and temperature lights.

Heres what I find a little odd. When I try to start it, all 3 warning lamps go out, but only the oil pressure and charge ones come back on when I stop cranking. I would have thought all 3 should come back on. This makes me think I have a dodgy temperature sensor. The question is, do the symptoms fit and if so how do I test it? Can I maybe bypass the sensor temporarily?

ANy suggestion welcome?

If not then I'll attack it methodically and check spark, injectors working etc etc.

2Back to top Go down   K1100 stopped, wont start Empty Re: K1100 stopped, wont start Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:21 pm

Arlina

Arlina
Black or dark sparkplugs indicate a bad water temp sensor.

3Back to top Go down   K1100 stopped, wont start Empty Re: K1100 stopped, wont start Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:48 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
On the front of the battery cradle is the ignition amp (black, flat, 5pin plug) remove it and renew the heat sink paste under it. There is a spare of unknown quality on the wiring harness that came with it.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   K1100 stopped, wont start Empty Re: K1100 stopped, wont start Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:01 am

Rockman

Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote:On the front of the battery cradle is the ignition amp (black, flat, 5pin plug) remove it and renew the heat sink paste under it. There is a spare of unknown quality on the wiring harness that came with it.
Thanks for that Rick. I've probably disturbed the paste changing things over so maybe thats it.

5Back to top Go down   K1100 stopped, wont start Empty Re: K1100 stopped, wont start Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:05 pm

Rockman

Life time member
Life time member
No that didnt fix it but needed doing anyway.

But I did find the problem

The fuel line from the filter inside the tank had come off. Reconnected everything and it leapt into life like it should.

The lines ares fairly stuffed so I'll replace them. While I am in there I will fit a new fuel filter as well.

A couple of other problems to chase down;

The alternator light stays on while its idling, slowly going off as revs are increased. I'm guessing new brushes are in order. Its one off a K75, but that shouldnt matter. BTW does anyone know if the alternator off a R1150 will fit? - I have one of these.

Also, the speedo doesnt work. Bad connection somewhere I guess.

6Back to top Go down   K1100 stopped, wont start Empty Re: K1100 stopped, wont start Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:13 pm

Michael Sydney

Michael Sydney
Silver member
Silver member
Great you found the problem. Disconnected fuel line is definitely a likely cause!

When you replace those lines it is imperative to use submersible hose, standard  injection hose will fail.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum