BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Dynatek Coils Empty Dynatek Coils on Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:07 pm

cycleman

cycleman
Silver member
Silver member
I was wondering if anybody had adapted a Dynatek Coil for the K100's. They make 3 different Ohm varieties and it would seem likely that the 3 ohm version should work. I used a Dynatek Coil to replace the stock coil on my 95 R100RT and it worked fine. Both the R & K have electronic ignition so you have to be careful in which Ohm version you use. The mounting could be a bit of an issue on a K bike, because of the way the stock one's are located and mounted.

Just searching for options as my old 86 model still has the grey coils, they haven't caused any issues, but they are getting up there in years. The new stock coils from BMW are really expensive up here and I would like to go another route if possible.

2Back to top Go down   Dynatek Coils Empty Re: Dynatek Coils on Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:32 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
the grey coils will do just fine ....as long as you look after the whole system  from plug to coil ...far too often we see things missing off the plugs , broken cables  with near infinite resistance etc ,,, maintenance is the key to them lasting longer than ever expected .....

i would certainly think that any coil should work above 2 ohms , but again think of where and how its fitted , will road sludge adhere to them in that mounted location , will wetnes penetrate the coil output secondary terminals , and all that sort of stuff .

good luck

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%ODynatek Coils Au-log10

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..

3Back to top Go down   Dynatek Coils Empty Re: Dynatek Coils on Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:11 pm

cycleman

cycleman
Silver member
Silver member
I agree, electrical & ignition systems do need to be looked after and likely the 3 ohm coil would work fine. I would mount it in the same location as the stock coil, just would have to make up a bracket or mount it to the existing bracket with some modifications.

4Back to top Go down   Dynatek Coils Empty Re: Dynatek Coils on Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:09 pm

cycleman

cycleman
Silver member
Silver member
Posted for information purposes. I checked the primary resistance/inductance ( take your pick ) of the grey coils on my K100 and both register 2.3 ohms. I'm not sure what they are supposed to be as checking the BMW manual or a Clymer doesn't give you any values. I can only go with what others have posted. I may start a new post just to see what are the results of the different coils.

I see lots of pictures of the early K bikes with black coils and wonder if the black where the first generation, then the grey and finally the ones with the red tips being the last version. The first generation K bike, up until they went to the 4 v model no doubt had its roots strongly in the automotive world when it came to ignition coils etc.

An interesting side note is the stock coils on my 95 R100RT register .7 ohms primary and that was with the stock electronic ignition. Those years of airheads used a very similar ignition module as the K100 4v and up used.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum